Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

AI traffic problem

There are several AI planes waiting at the Hold Short node. The first one is given departure clearance. As it starts to taxi out to the runway, the aircraft behind it is told to "hold short, caution the (aircraft type) on the runway". In other words, the second AI plane is not allowed to reach the hold short node and ask for departure clearance until the first AI plane is already in the air, and being asked to change frequencies!! It then gets permission to continue, and subsequently asks for departure clearance.

The problem here is that it significantly slows down the movement of AI traffic that are departing the airport. My question is......can I do anything about it?

It happens at EGAC Belfast City, EGTE Exeter, and I think also at EGGW Luton out of my collection of UK2000 airports.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

6 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

There are several AI planes waiting at the Hold Short node. The first one is given departure clearance. As it starts to taxi out to the runway, the aircraft behind it is told to "hold short, caution the (aircraft type) on the runway". In other words, the second AI plane is not allowed to reach the hold short node and ask for departure clearance until the first AI plane is already in the air, and being asked to change frequencies!! It then gets permission to continue, and subsequently asks for departure clearance.

The problem here is that it significantly slows down the movement of AI traffic that are departing the airport. My question is......can I do anything about it?

It happens at EGAC Belfast City, EGTE Exeter, and I think also at EGGW Luton out of my collection of UK2000 airports.

This is due to broken taxi way points inside the AFCAD file.

You have two options:

A) Tell the developer to fix it.

B) Use the AFCAD editor tool and fix it your self :)

All the best,
Simbol

Edited by simbol

Hi,

I would like to know what AFCAD Editor is available and from where, I assume you weren't referring to ADE. I would dearly love a tool like AFCAD (FS AND FSX) were available for P3Dv4. 

Thanks

John

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

7 minutes ago, yellowjack said:

Hi,

I would like to know what AFCAD Editor is available and from where, I assume you weren't referring to ADE. I would dearly love a tool like AFCAD (FS AND FSX) were available for P3Dv4. 

Thanks

John

Yes I am talking about ADE, this still allows you to edit AFCAD files.

I do it often to customise the GA parking spaces for my private Jet collection.

Regards,
S.

I have built and modified hundreds of AFD files for FSX and P3D, so I am very familiar with Airport Design Editor. However, I do not see any broken links at (for example) UK2000 Belfast City Xtreme. Can you be more specific when you refer to "broken links", Raul?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It could also be a particular model and it's bounding box I think it's called, where the sim thinks the aircraft is much larger than it is. What model have you noticed this happening with?

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

The CAD file system is basically the same in FSX,FSE;SE and P3D, if you use ADE use the tool menu check for errors and check for file priority if you have ORBX UK installed in the 05 scenery there may be a CAD file for the airport, and at some regional airports I have found bleed over in P3Dv4 even though the cad files are in lower priority but ADE can disable them except the Base CAD, this way you can be sure the CAD file you are working on is in fact one being used.   

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I have built and modified hundreds of AFD files for FSX and P3D, so I am very familiar with Airport Design Editor. However, I do not see any broken links at (for example) UK2000 Belfast City Xtreme. Can you be more specific when you refer to "broken links", Raul?

Hi Chris,

You need to check with ADE if the taxi links (the dots and lines configured for taxi) are continuous all the way to be able to taxi into the runway.

Open EGKK from UK 2000 with ADE as an example, you will see how everything connects..

Regards,
S.

Like I said, Raul....I have been doing this for years :smile: I even rebuilt seven or eight AFD files for version 2 of UK2000 VFR Airfields Volume 1. With respect to UK2000 Belfast City Xtreme, the AI planes work fine at this airport....apart from that extended wait short of the departure HS node for runway 22. It must be a bug in the default AI code for P3D, and it is probably significant that it seems to happen at airports that do not have full length taxiways (in other words, airports that require a "backtrack" to the threshold).

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

5 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Like I said, Raul....I have been doing this for years :smile: I even rebuilt seven or eight AFD files for version 2 of UK2000 VFR Airfields Volume 1. With respect to UK2000 Belfast City Xtreme, the AI planes work fine at this airport....apart from that extended wait short of the departure HS node for runway 22. It must be a bug in the default AI code for P3D, and it is probably significant that it seems to happen at airports that do not have full length taxiways (in other words, airports that require a "backtrack" to the threshold).

Ok, sometimes the taxi links are too far from the runway threshold (the beginning of the runway) causing the "backtrack" nonsense before being able to the take off.. 

I hate when this happens, it is a interesting problem to fix with plenty of challenges ahead.

S.

16 hours ago, rjfry said:

if you have ORBX UK installed in the 05 scenery there may be a CAD file for the airport, and at some regional airports I have found bleed over in P3Dv4 even though the cad files are in lower priority but ADE can disable them except the Base CAD, this way you can be sure the CAD file you are working on is in fact one being used.   

In those cases, it's not a layering issue, you need to disable the orbx ade and object files for those duplicate airports.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Folks,

For duplicate ADE/AFX files (and ORBX is a usual suspect with this issue), I would suggest to use SAS (Simple Airport Scanner). It has saved me a hundred of hours of work

Ok, sometimes the taxi links are too far from the runway threshold (the beginning of the runway) causing the "backtrack" nonsense before being able to the take off

I don't mind the backtrack at airports like Belfast City, because it is justified. I am going to experiment with one or two things to see if anything makes a difference with respect to AI planes being told to "hold position" before they have reached the HS node. It could be that I need to add a dedicated taxiway link up to the end of the runway, rather than just letting the AI planes use the runway link to get there.....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

It could be that I need to add a dedicated taxiway link up to the end of the runway, rather than just letting the AI planes use the runway link to get there.....

Correct! This is how EGKK from UK is done, in hence why I asked to look at it since I know you must own this airport :).

Regards,

R.

On 10/9/2018 at 6:14 PM, Christopher Low said:

My question is......can I do anything about it?

No, AI take-off is hard coded.

• Like 1