Sign in to follow this  
Dazzyt66

Mooney almost there... but help needed now

Hi,

I really enjoy flying the stock Mooney Bravo so I decided to paint a version in my own colours. It has been a significant learning curve as I’ve never done it before and far from an expert in Gimp, however, I now have something half decent which will keep me happy for a few days... lol

BUT, unless I’m missing something, the Mooney Bravo is only ‘half’ modelled and then the sides are replicated to match, which is fine as I have worked out which bits go where for my colours (with a LOT of trial and error). Unless I’m missing something.

So, my key question is: I have added my registration to the lower rear fuselage in a nicer format than the fsx default BUT obviously with the mirroring of the parts, the registration runs backwards on the opposite side. Is there any way to overcome this?

My only tools are Gimp and DXTBmp...

Cheers

Daz

17 minutes ago, Dazzyt66 said:

So, my key question is: I have added my registration to the lower rear fuselage in a nicer format than the fsx default BUT obviously with the mirroring of the parts, the registration runs backwards on the opposite side. Is there any way to overcome this? 

Your paint program should allow you to flip the image either vertically or horizontally to temporarily overcome the reverse nature. Flipping or reversing the image is not the same as rotating it. 

Then if needed and desired you can rotate it so it appears upright and thus easier to work with. 

Make the changes. Then reverse any flipping and any rotation to get it back to the original state of the texture and save.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, Dazzyt66 said:

Hi,

I really enjoy flying the stock Mooney Bravo so I decided to paint a version in my own colours. It has been a significant learning curve as I’ve never done it before and far from an expert in Gimp, however, I now have something half decent which will keep me happy for a few days... lol

BUT, unless I’m missing something, the Mooney Bravo is only ‘half’ modelled and then the sides are replicated to match, which is fine as I have worked out which bits go where for my colours (with a LOT of trial and error). Unless I’m missing something.

My only tools are Gimp and DXTBmp...

Cheers

Daz

Is this the default FSX Mooney we are talking about.  If I recall and this is just to verify what you are saying.  You can only paint the one side of the aircraft.  The left if I recall.  This is them mirrored onto the right side of the model.  If this is the case then no there is nothing you can do.  If you want to see an N-Number you'll need to add it into the aircraft selection screen for registration or in the aircraft.cfg.  I'm not sure what it's labeled anymore been so long since I've really bothered with adding it.  This however looks hideous and unrealistic.  Unfortunately it's the only option with default aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

9 hours ago, thibodba57 said:

Is this the default FSX Mooney we are talking about.  If I recall and this is just to verify what you are saying.  You can only paint the one side of the aircraft.  The left if I recall.  This is them mirrored onto the right side of the model.  If this is the case then no there is nothing you can do.  If you want to see an N-Number you'll need to add it into the aircraft selection screen for registration or in the aircraft.cfg.  I'm not sure what it's labeled anymore been so long since I've really bothered with adding it.  This however looks hideous and unrealistic.  Unfortunately it's the only option with default aircraft.

Yeah, it is the default - so it is as I thought about replicated sides 😔 bummer! You are right, the label you can add looks hideous! Lol.

Carenado Mooney beckons methinks.... 😍