Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

747 Purchase Confusion:-(

Hi guys

I'm just back after 6 months away. Mostly in hospital:-( and trying to sort my flight sim...

I've just purchased the 747-8 only to get a message saying I first have to install my 747 base package.  I bought my QOS base pack about a year ago.  I now see there's a v3.  Do I have to buy the base pack yet again before i can install the 748?

Dougal,

Yes, PMDG 747v3 is the base package for the expansion pack 747-8i.

You would have been asked to affirm that when you bought the expansion. In any case, you will find that v3 of the 747 is night and day with your version, so you won't be disappointed.

Erwan de Quillien

9 minutes ago, Dougal said:

I bought my QOS base pack about a year ago.  I now see there's a v3.

I have a feeling you're confusing versions...

If you purchased a year ago, then you already have v3. The installer for the -8 is looking for the most up-to-date version of the -400 before it will install. Uninstall any PMDG 747-400 that you have installed on your computer. Log into your account, re-download your -400 from your Order history page, install it, and then install the -8.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

19 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

I have a feeling you're confusing versions...

If you purchased a year ago, then you already have v3. The installer for the -8 is looking for the most up-to-date version of the -400 before it will install. Uninstall any PMDG 747-400 that you have installed on your computer. Log into your account, re-download your -400 from your Order history page, install it, and then install the -8.

I'm having real problems here...

I now have a completely new installation of P3Dv4.3.29.25520 with absolutely NO other addons.

I'm still thinking I've got the wrong 747 base package, as after installing it, P3D completely refuses to launch, although Task Manager shows the exe file as running.

This is the 'Readme' for my 744 base package:
PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies II-Base Package for P3D     v3.00.9008
P3D    RELEASE VERSION     P3D
22SEP18         READ THIS END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT        1700Z

If I install this, the clean P3D installation refuses to start, even if I then uninstall it again.  The only way P3D will launch after that, is by rolling back to hard drive backup with Acronis.

1 minute ago, Dougal said:

If I install this, the clean P3D installation refuses to start, even if I then uninstall it again.  The only way P3D will launch after that, is by rolling back to hard drive backup with Acronis.

Are you saving a default scenario with the 744 as the default aircraft?

Kyle Rodgers

7 minutes ago, Dougal said:

as after installing it, P3D completely refuses to launch, although Task Manager shows the exe file as running.

"P3D completely refuses to launch" does not describe the problem well enough to figure out what is going on.  Do you see a splash screen?  Do you see a Scenery Setup screen (this should be selected to always appear first)?  In other words, when is the launch failing?

It is normal to see P3D running in task manager for up to a minute after it closes.  Is this what you are seeing?

Dan Downs KCRP

15 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Are you saving a default scenario with the 744 as the default aircraft?

No, my default flight is currently just that - default.

8 minutes ago, downscc said:

"P3D completely refuses to launch" does not describe the problem well enough to figure out what is going on.  Do you see a splash screen?  Do you see a Scenery Setup screen (this should be selected to always appear first)?  In other words, when is the launch failing?

It is normal to see P3D running in task manager for up to a minute after it closes.  Is this what you are seeing?

No Dan, no splash screen after installing the 747. P3D stays in the task manager unless I manually 'end task'.

I've never seen this happen before.

Just now, Dougal said:

No, my default flight is currently just that - default.

When you say "completely new installation of P3D" what do you mean by this?

Based on your subsequent mention of restoring backups, I'm wondering if you restored a backup. "New installation," to me, means that you completely nuked the P3D installation, and followed the P3D install guide (that asks you to remove all of the associated files in various locations).

Do you use FSUIPC? (Registered or unregistered - doesn't matter.)

Kyle Rodgers

Just now, scandinavian13 said:

When you say "completely new installation of P3D" what do you mean by this?

Based on your subsequent mention of restoring backups, I'm wondering if you restored a backup. "New installation," to me, means that you completely nuked the P3D installation, and followed the P3D install guide (that asks you to remove all of the associated files in various locations).

Do you use FSUIPC? (Registered or unregistered - doesn't matter.)

No, a completely fresh installation:-)  Nothing after that except the 744. I normally use FSUIPC but thought i'd keep it all clean.  I only used Acronis to go back to a working P3D after uninstalling the 744 didn't fix it.

4 minutes ago, Dougal said:

No, a completely fresh installation

This re-states what you said earlier.

Please be abundantly clear with what you did, exactly, to get it into this state...

I know this might seem as overly specific, but I can't make assumptions on what you have and have not done, because a number of things can cause what you're seeing.

Kyle Rodgers

Same way I have for years... I uninstalled all four elements from Control Panel.  I then removed ALL Lockheed Martin folders from the normal 'Local' and 'Roaming' folders.  I also deleted the folders created in the Documents folders.

I then downloaded the full install package from LM and installed to its own separate SSD

Are these the correct combination of installers?

PMDG 747-400 QOTSII Base Package P3D

PMDG 747-8 QOTSII Expansion P3D

4 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Same way I have for years...

Great, but this wasn't known information for me. I'm not over your shoulder. When asking for support, it's incredibly important to be as specific as possible in order for me (or the person providing support) to get an idea of what you're doing.

5 minutes ago, Dougal said:

I uninstalled all four elements from Control Panel.  I then removed ALL Lockheed Martin folders from the normal 'Local' and 'Roaming' folders.  I also deleted the folders created in the Documents folders.

Okay, so pretty thorough. Good to know.

2 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Are these the correct combination of installers?

PMDG 747-400 QOTSII Base Package P3D

PMDG 747-8 QOTSII Expansion P3D

Yep.

Kyle Rodgers

OK I guess I've got something very wrong then.  I was sure i'd maybe bought the wrong addon.

I'm stumped:-(