Sign in to follow this  

1X 2080Ti vs. 2X 2080Ti vs. 1X TitanXP - P3D V4.3

8 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I keep wondering why the P3D version is so weird

Lockheed Martin are in the business of providing the base engine, they probably hoped 3rd party would take up the slack and sell a SpeedTrees enhancement product for P3D.  So far, that has not happened … maybe Turbulent will take on the task?  SpeedTrees seem very well optimized to me and definitely better than the default X trees … but definitely in need of 3rd party content provider to take them to the next level for P3D.

Cheers, Rob.

3 hours ago, threegreen said:

Is that with the 2080Ti? If so, how does that compare to your former GPU?

Sorry for not specifying. Yes, that is with the 2080 Ti. If I had tried the same settings with my 980 Ti I would have definitely been below 30fps. Sorry I don't have an exact figure. With Vsync on/30hz I would only notice when it went below 30fps. When I tested the 2080 Ti in those conditions without vsync on it averaged 40fps or so I'd say. I would guess it's at least a 60% improvement in FPS over the 980 Ti if I were to use comparable settings. Obviously the higher the settings, the more improvement. 

Ben 

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

3 hours ago, threegreen said:

Is that with the 2080Ti? If so, how does that compare to your former GPU?

Sorry for not specifying. Yes, that is with the 2080 Ti. If I had tried the same settings with my 980 Ti I would have definitely been below 30fps. Sorry I don't have an exact figure. With Vsync on/30hz I would only notice when it went below 30fps. When I tested the 2080 Ti in those conditions without vsync on it averaged 40fps or so I'd say. I would guess it's at least a 60% improvement in FPS over the 980 Ti if I were to use comparable settings. Obviously the higher the settings, the more improvement. 

Ben 

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

@Rob

With SLI , do you see it enabled all the time ?

Here, with 2x 1080Ti in SLI on a new W10 install and clean V4 install sometimes I see Idle and the next moment it is SLI ( many clouds with Fog  or big cumulus clouds with shadows max distance ).

So with Idle one card may go up to 97% and the next moment I see SLI and both cards around 50% with higher fps.

Thanks, Gerard

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

In the same boat as others here in being a 30hz/Vsync user and FPS gains are largely irrelevant for me. If a single 2080ti can get me to 30fps in the situations where my 6700k/1080ti combo can only get  me to 27/28 then I'm game. Whether it can get from 67fps to 99 is not really what I can care about. 

If you operate using Vsync then 29.5fps is as stuttery as 4fps (well, it's not but it feels it!) 🤣

I'm also now a bit CPU bound - a 6700k which I can't get more than 4.7 out of, although I think I'll need a new MOBO for a newer chip. 

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

On 10/15/2018 at 4:32 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

Lockheed Martin are in the business of providing the base engine, they probably hoped 3rd party would take up the slack and sell a SpeedTrees enhancement product for P3D.  So far, that has not happened … maybe Turbulent will take on the task?  SpeedTrees seem very well optimized to me and definitely better than the default X trees … but definitely in need of 3rd party content provider to take them to the next level for P3D.

Cheers, Rob.

Regarding trees / autogen in general...I would be all-in on a product that could deliver that (performance).

I just wish autogen weren't so cpu-heavy.  If LM could somehow pull that into the gpu realm...

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On a side note, these 2080Ti’s run very very very hot ... so much so my coolant temp for my CPU went up 6 F (yes CPU)

touch the back plate and I burnt my fingers ... glad I have a couple of EK water blocks ready to install once my 9900K arrives and I transition to my new setup.

Cheers Rob

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

On a side note, these 2080Ti’s run very very very hot ... so much so my coolant temp for my CPU went up 6 F (yes CPU)

touch the back plate and I burnt my fingers ... glad I have a couple of EK water blocks ready to install once my 9900K arrives and I transition to my new setup.

Cheers Rob

Exactly why I would never go for a founders edition card...... Unless I needed to cook some eggs.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 10/16/2018 at 7:52 PM, HiFlyer said:

Exactly why I would never go for a founders edition card...... Unless I needed to cook some eggs.......

That's what water cooling is for.  Something Rob mentioned in the post you quoted.  Waterblocks tend to only be released for those models which sell the most volume, in this case, those based on the Founder's Edition PCB AKA "reference design".  I only buy FE models for this reason.  

1 hour ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Waterblocks tend to only be released for those models which sell the most volume, in this case, those based on the Founder's Edition PCB AKA "reference design".

Most of 20 series cards are based on the reference design.

I noted also that in teardowns of the various cards, it was found the Nvidia FE's had more than 70 screws (ugh!) while other cards had something more normal, which was something I would definitely take into account should there ever come a time to reassemble them.

(Which looks like it would be an absolute PITA, and disassembling them did not look to be fun, either)

When I pointed that out, Rob mentioned that he keeps lots of little bottles to hold screws, but if he ever needs to put those cards back together, I hope he knows a watchmaker! 😊

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

When I pointed that out, Rob mentioned that he keeps lots of little bottles to hold screws, but if he ever needs to put those cards back together, I hope he knows a watchmaker!

That's why I have the jars of screws nicely labelled … because I have needed to put the original coolers back on because for some strange reason when I sell my old GPUs, my buyers don't want the water cooling blocks??? 

I would think a buyer would much rather have a GPU that runs 20-40C all the time rather than one that's been running for years at 60-80C … so I can see why they want to buy from me given the lower heat stress … but why have me convert them back to their "stressed" state with stock cooler?  Anyway, I have put many back together because buyers seem to want that.

Cheers, Rob.

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Most of 20 series cards are based on the reference design.

I noted also that in teardowns of the various cards, it was found the Nvidia FE's had more than 70 screws (ugh!) while other cards had something more normal, which was something I would definitely take into account should there ever come a time to reassemble them.

(Which looks like it would be an absolute PITA, and disassembling them did not look to be fun, either)

When I pointed that out, Rob mentioned that he keeps lots of little bottles to hold screws, but if he ever needs to put those cards back together, I hope he knows a watchmaker! 😊

Most currently-available RTX 20 series parts are based on the reference design, yes.  That reinforces the point, then.  Why spend more on a partner card with a better cooler if you're just going to replace said cooler anyway?

As for the number of screws holding together the FE cards, many of these screws are part of the cooling assembly, which is not necessary to disassemble - Steve (of Gamer's Nexus) did this for academic reasons.  

9 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Most currently-available RTX 20 series parts are based on the reference design, yes.  That reinforces the point, then.  Why spend more on a partner card with a better cooler if you're just going to replace said cooler anyway?

Flexibility. If they run cool enough, you might change your mind about the water cooling altogether. For myself, an alternative cooler is only for if a card is running too hot, which is not necessarily a foregone conclusion. (except with FE's)

Honestly, my preference would be not to take the card apart at all unless forced to. Somehow I always manage to drop a screw or two that enters hyperspace on the way to the floor, never to be seen again.

Devons rig