Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - alternative to Crosswind?

I'm a little surprised there doesn't appear to be any discussion on Thrustmaster's new TPR Rudder Pedal system. I came across them in the latest PC Pilot magazine given away to some at the flight sim show at RAF Cosford last weekend.

They're made out of steel and weigh 15lbs. They also have Hall-effect sensors rather than pots and the two reviews I've seen so far are very positive about them. Their most serious competitor would be MFG Crosswind but those operate on a slightly different principle. I'm pretty sure they'll be a big upgrade on my CH pedals I've had for over 10 years!

The price is interesting. I have seen them as low as £412. Serious dosh but a long-term investment. Thoughts?

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tpr-thrustmaster-pendular-rudder

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

36 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm a little surprised there doesn't appear to be any discussion on Thrustmaster's new TPR Rudder Pedal system. I came across them in the latest PC Pilot magazine given away to some at the flight sim show at RAF Cosford last weekend.

They're made out of steel and weigh 15lbs. They also have Hall-effect sensors rather than pots and the two reviews I've seen so far are very positive about them. Their most serious competitor would be MFG Crosswind but those operate on a slightly different principle. I'm pretty sure they'll be a big upgrade on my CH pedals I've had for over 10 years!

The price is interesting. I have seen them as low as £412. Serious dosh but a long-term investment. Thoughts?

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tpr-thrustmaster-pendular-rudder

Edited by GHarrall

Indeed he did. Do you have them?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Indeed he did. Do you have them?

No, availability has been scarce here in Canada. Like you I was really hoping for some further reviews / feedback beforehand.

The reviews have been mostly very positive comparing it favourably to the Crosswind. What I like is the weight and the Hall effect sensors. PLus Thrustmaster have a history of producing quality kit.

I've not seen a design like this before. Quite radical.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The reviews have been mostly very positive comparing it favourably to the Crosswind. What I like is the weight and the Hall effect sensors. PLus Thrustmaster have a history of producing quality kit.

I've not seen a design like this before. Quite radical.

Yes, although right now I can get the MFG Crosswinds delivered to Canada for over $100 less.

2 hours ago, oemlegoem said:

Thanks. I’d read one of them and also watched this video.

They look quite impressive. Expensive I accept but readily available and through online retailers with the security that brings. How well they operate on a carpeted floor is questionable but placing a piece of wood between it and a wall should make them immovable.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, GHarrall said:

Yes, although right now I can get the MFG Crosswinds delivered to Canada for over $100 less.

Is there still a long wait time with those? One point made about the Thrustmaster Pedals was they operate similar to a real rudder & brake with forward movement only, no arcing like others such as the Crosswind.

I should also reiterate they use Hall-effect sensors. No more pots!

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've had my eye in these for a while. Unfortunately by the time I got to have a look round at Cosford everyone was packing up which is a shame as orbx had a few sets on their stand. I had a look and they are huge and seem very substantial, unfortunately I didn't get to touch then let alone fly them.

Chris

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Is there still a long wait time with those? One point made about the Thrustmaster Pedals was they operate similar to a real rudder & brake with forward movement only, no arcing like others such as the Crosswind.

Delivery for new order is stating October 15th on the website.

Yes, there is the arcing thing to consider but compared to my CH pro pedals either would be a massive step up.

8 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Long thread over at DCS about it:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=211956

gb.

• Like 1

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

7 hours ago, tutmeister said:

I've had my eye in these for a while. Unfortunately by the time I got to have a look round at Cosford everyone was packing up which is a shame as orbx had a few sets on their stand. I had a look and they are huge and seem very substantial, unfortunately I didn't get to touch then let alone fly them.

Chris

How frustrating that I didn't spot these at the show. I only saw them in the free PC Pilot magazine in the goody bag. Radical design with them being so high but I do have the space fortunately. Still chewing things over.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, GHarrall said:

Delivery for new order is stating October 15th on the website.

Yes, there is the arcing thing to consider but compared to my CH pro pedals either would be a massive step up.

I also have the CH Pro Pedals and although they've lasted a long time their accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather