Sign in to follow this  

P3D v4.3 frequently locks up without error message

Its weird as I got it in 3 different occasions using different aircraft - 

1. Approaching Pacsim KSLC while changing views in the TFDi 717

2. Approaching Flytampa KTPA in the Maddog x

3. Randomly at some point when pressing the an FMC button in the AS CRJ

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

7 hours ago, J van E said:

It never gave me any problems during the last 4 years so I can't imagine that is it. Unless my hardware is going down slowly... Besides, P3D will run like word not allowed at default CPU speeds. ;) How many people here run P3D on a non-oc'd PC...?

Yeah I've overclocked since my AMD K6 days, lost count of how many PCs I've built since the mid 90s, including rackmounts.  But they all eventually started developing issues after a few years so I gave up overclocking about 8 years ago and had a stable system ever since (yep no overclock me - I hate the idea of wondering if every crash to desktop had something to do with pushing the system so I just don't bother with the worry anymore....and can't recall the last time I saw a CTD).  I had Intel's very first 3.00 GHZ CPU many years ago and that thing I suspect was pushed hard from the factory just so they could say they hit the 3 GHZ mark (because it wouldn't overclock at all), but regardless it burned its poor brains out in a little less than 3 short years which was a real shame because I had about 4K sunk into that rackmount (decked out and was used for MIDI software / gigastudio / SONAR for my synth keyboards....and flight simulator).

Just saying going back to a regular clock speed is one of the easiest things to try, the CPU may showing early signs of heat damage.  Only takes 1 flaky transistor who can't handle the extra voltage or over-clock, and you'll hit that dreaded crash now and then.

Using a can of compressed air on the inside of the case might help too - these things suck in dust over the years and that can interfere with cooling.

Mark

20 hours ago, Shomron said:

Core temps normal?

Just finished a flight, with a new cfg, RealTemp running and without a lockup. Maximum peak temps of the 4 cores were 67, 72, 74 and 69 so that's perfectly fine!

I did make a habit already of using ProATC's excellent Save flight situation option. I simply use that option (when flying my Majestic Q400) at very specific times:
1. after being cleared for take off (check heading - save flight situation - full throttle)
2. when passing 10.000 ft (fasten belts off - landing lights off - save flight situation)
3. at toc (prop at 850 - save flight situation)
4. at tod (set assigned altitude - save flight situation - start descend)
5. when passing 10.000 ft (fasten belts on - landing lights on - save flight situation)

It kinda sucks having to do this but it is easy and not too cumbersome now I've added the saving step to my workflow and it eliminates all stress. 😉 And by doing it at specific times I know EXACTLY in what state it will be whenever I have to reload a flight and what I have to do!

20 hours ago, J van E said:

It never gave me any problems during the last 4 years so I can't imagine that is it. Unless my hardware is going down slowly... Besides, P3D will run like word not allowed at default CPU speeds. ;) How many people here run P3D on a non-oc'd PC...?

If you've not installed or updated something recently, you know there's been no changes, then maybe a hardware fault or problem has crept in.

First I would open up the PC, clean it out, and re-seat the cards - could be a poor connection - connections dirty up just because they are passing current. Re-seating cleans the connections.

I usually specify four memory cards on a new build so that two can be eliminated - (they work in pairs usually). Try that if you can - could be a memory error.

If you've recently installed stuff or received an update - eliminate that software - best bet is test a stock sim as soon as possible -don't waste time with work-arounds.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com