Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Favorite Aviation Movies?

Just curious what others like.  I have had two aviation movies as my favorites, one is the Battle of Britain, which I first saw upon first release in the theaters way back when I lived in Napa, at the lovingly restored Uptown Theater which was turned into a major concert and comedy venue for northern California.  I saw it as very realistic, done way before CGI, and also it was the first movie I had seen which portrayed the horror of war from both sides, where the soldiers and airmen are always pawns and unlikely heroes for the countries they serve, although in the case of Britain, so many were volunteers and not regarded as pawns, just defenders of their homeland from agression.

Another, more comic movie I loved was "Those magnificent men in their flying machines", which portrayed so many Vintage aircraft including Santos-Dumont's Demoiselle the first true Ultralight.   I have not seen this movie in forever, and by forever I mean at least 40 years or so.

I was not that impressed with the Aviator, I did not find the flight physics well modeled in some of the scenes in that movie, some aircraft in external shots would visibly skid or display unrealistic flying characteristics.  Plus the Howard Hughes story was just one of sadness for me (a side note, two of my former choir-mates got to stay overnight with his pilot when we performed in Henderson Nevada way back in 1970).  They loved his house, we would be hosted by volunteer concert goers during our summer and weekend tours in the spring, fall and winter, I got to stay with the minister of the congregation that saw us (which I thought was a greater honor) and they got to stay with his pilot. I do not know what his name was, that was almost 50 years ago for all of us but my former school principal, also our choir director, flew from Irvine to Phoenix to see me and take me to dinner a few months back and we reminisced about our tours and church school life--he is now 80.

The Right Stuff is honorable mention for me as an aviation adventure, especially the Bell X1 and F104 scenes.  And Chuck Yeager is still with us, amazing!

John

1.  Strategic Air Command.....Nothing better than 6 turnin' and four burnin'

2.  The High and the Mighty.  When that DC-4's engines conked out, my engines conked out!:blink:

3.  Fail Safe.  Love them Hustlers even though they were called "Vindicators" for no obvious reason!

4 .  Airplane.  and don't call me Shirley!:rolleyes:

5.  Airport....the first one with Dean Martin and Burt Lancaster.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I opened a similar topic some time ago that as some pretty nice suggestions from our fellow members...

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Man where to start?

Before I run off my favorite movies, I want to mention Good Luck, a somewhat cheezy Japanese romantic comedy/drama series that centers around the lives of fictitious ANA employees with a decent storyline.  The lead pilot character is someone that many of us can identify with.  Love it.  You can find episodes on YouTube if you're interested in watching.  Now without further adieu, the list. 

1.  Strategic Air Command

2. Pearl Harbor

3.  The Right Stuff

4. Flight

5. The Final Countdown

6. Sully

7. The Aviator

8. Airport.

9. Airplane

10.  Airport sequels and Airplane II round out the bottom.

Now, let's see what I binge watch today lol.

31 minutes ago, charliearon said:

1.  Strategic Air Command.....Nothing better than 6 turnin' and four burnin'

2.  The High and the Mighty.  When that DC-4's engines conked out, my engines conked out!:blink:

3.  Fail Safe.  Love them Hustlers even though they were called "Vindicators" for no obvious reason!

4 .  Airplane.  and don't call me Shirley!:rolleyes:

5.  Airport....the first one with Dean Martin and Burt Lancaster.

I liked Airport 75, just an interesting premise, also Airport 77.  Also loved Strategic Air Command, and 12 O'Clock High, the movie and the series.  Forgot about SAC and 12 O'Clock High....  Flightplan was an interesting movie although some of the terminology they used in that movie was off--like they used "deboard" instead of deplane.  But I thought the aircraft was well done in that movie, resembling an A380, and the passenger areas and flight attendant movement was well done.

John

1. Tora Tora Tora

2. Airport 1970

3. Airplane

Lady: Nervous?
Ted Striker: Yes.
Lady: First time?
Ted Striker: No, I've been nervous lots of times.

Edited by Matthew Kane
  • Like 2

Matthew Kane

The AVSIM demographic: No Top Gun? or did I miss it 😃

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WingZ said:

I did not find Top Gun all that appealing, like the canopy to canopy shot in the movie, unrealistic, or some of the other flying scenes.  I don't care for movies that use American aircraft to simulate foreign aircraft (the Mig 28 being portrayed by an F5), as was used in Top Gun's foreign aircraft encounters.  Back to the comments, Tora Tora Tora was a great movie, memorable like the Battle of Britain.  The brief aviation scenes in Kirk Douglas' "The Final Countdown" were also interesting pitting Navy jets against Japanese WWII fighter aircraft.  Finally, I forgot to mention "Fly Away Home", which for a trike pilot like myself is a great movie even though fictionalized to a great extent from the real efforts of the Canadian trike pilot to get his geese to migrate to the States.  Great, realistic flying in that movie, for someone who has been around trikes, light sport and ultralights like myself, I cannot recommend it enough!

John 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WingZ said:

Wow, how did I forget to include that one?  That was the one that catapulted my love for aviation into the stratosphere.  It came out when I was just entering high school, so it ticked all the right boxes for a lot of different reasons other than flying, but It also did wonders for my over-active imagination too lol.

I’m pleased no one has mentioned one of my favourites made in black and white. 

Dr Strangelove (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb). Possibly the longest film title ever!

Favourite line... “You can’t fight in here!! This is the War Room!”

And Slim Pickens whooping and hollering as he sits astride a nuclear bomb on its way down!

The genius of Stanley Kubrick.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
  • Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

I opened a similar topic some time ago that as some pretty nice suggestions from our fellow members...

I was going to post your link rather than go over it all again. 

Still the same movies and responses.

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator