Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Favorite Aviation Movies?

I’m surprised nobody mentioned this one:

Zero Hour. I saw this movie, by fluke on TV. Black and White, made in 50s or 60s. I was half watching it when I noticed lines that I thought I heard before. Then, a young chap named Joey went to the flight deck and got a model airplane.

Then it hit me, Airplane! was a complete remake of Zero Hour. I did some Googling and discovered that the makers of Airplane! bought the rights and made a spoof, almost line for line and scene for scene spoof. You have to see it to believe it.

I liked the idea so much, I bought Zero Hour on Amazon and show it to people to see if they can figure it out. Most cannot believe it.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

Do TV shows count? How about 12 O'clock High with General Savage then Col  Gallagher after they killed Savage off. Don't think it was on more then a couple years but when I was in sixth grade I lived for that show. Some of the plots were a bit hammy but plenty of action and WWII combat footage. My daughters managed to get me the entire series for Christmas several years ago. Even now when I watch an episode and hear that theme music when it ends ( the same music as the movie by that name)  I can almost hear my Mother saying " all right, time to turn that off and go to bed".

And speaking of the movie, that was excellent also. Or how about The War Lover with Steve McQueen. Anything with B-17s is good.

Edited by PATCO LCH

Vic green

Flight of the Phoenix (The original one, not the remake)

The Bridges at Toko-Ri

The Battle of Britain

The War Lover 

Those magnificent men in their flying machines 

• Upvote 2

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

12 hours ago, charliearon said:

1.  Strategic Air Command.....Nothing better than 6 turnin' and four burnin'

2.  The High and the Mighty.  When that DC-4's engines conked out, my engines conked out!:blink:

3.  Fail Safe.  Love them Hustlers even though they were called "Vindicators" for no obvious reason!

4 .  Airplane.  and don't call me Shirley!:rolleyes:

5.  Airport....the first one with Dean Martin and Burt Lancaster.

Ah, The High and the Mighty.  There are a few scenes in there that are funny when going by today's air travel standards.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

Sorry about the triple posts.  It didn't look like it was posting at all.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

16 minutes ago, JNS said:

Sorry about the triple posts.  It didn't look like it was posting at all.

Jeff

Fixed it.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

My favourites are:

Mercy Mission: The Rescue of Flight 771
The Enola Gay
A Thousand Heroes
Top Gun
Strategic Air Command

My 'log' hours watching those films must add up to longer than Ernest Gann's total flying hours...:tongue:

Regards

Bill

Edited by BillCusick

14 hours ago, WingZ said:

No Top Gun? or did I miss it 😃

It's everyone's dirty secret.  No-one will admit it.:tongue:

• Like 1

Did anyone mention "A Gathering of Eagles" (1963)?

Dugald Walker

Lot of great ones in that list, but surprised nobody mentioned Bat-21. Gene Hackman, Danny Glover, and an O-2 (Cessna 337).

Edited by charliearon
Please embed all videos no matter what forum!
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Redtails

• Like 1

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Also Tuskagee Airmen

• Like 1

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.