Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Favorite Aviation Movies?

Wow, lots of suggestions. Perfect for watching on this long weekend (Monday is public holiday here in Argentina). Following...

My preferences, in no particular order:

- Airplane!
- Sully
- Les chevaliers du ciel
- Flyboys

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

4 hours ago, fppilot said:

Lot of great ones in that list, but surprised nobody mentioned Bat-21. Gene Hackman, Danny Glover, and an O-2 (Cessna 337).

Hot darn! I've never heard of this movie but now I've just got to find it and watch.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Hot darn! I've never heard of this movie but now I've just got to find it and watch.

Hi Bill,

LOL - a classic and MUST SEE...

Enjoy...

:)

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

2 hours ago, n4gix said:

I found it for a free watch on Amazon Prime.....

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Final Countdown for the F-14 lovers. Flight of the Intruder is good too! Anyone remember Iron Eagle?

if TV shows count then I’ll add the CBC Avro Arrow series, Ice Pilots, Wings across Canada as well as Discovery channels Jetstream.  Lots of good Canadian content!

Edited by dpergau

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

I7-10700k, RTX4070, 32gb-3200mhz | Dell U3415W | Saitek Pro Pedals & Logitech 3D Extreme | - PMDG Boeings, iFly MAX, Fenix A320, Leonardo MadDog and Majestic Q400 | P3Dv5 & MSFS

Just watched Airport 75 again.  I love that movie, the flying, the scenery, the premise of the movie, and Charleston Heston, my favorite actor of all time.  It showed off the 747 and was to some extent believable.  So I add that to my favorites.

• Like 1

Flight from Ashiya.  That rough sea take off in an SA-16 (SA at the time) Albatross was pretty exciting. 

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I was surprised not to see the 1957 Jimmy Stewart classic, Spirit of St. Louis, listed so far. I just saw it on antennae TV a few days ago. It is about Lindbergh's historic first Atlantic solo crossing.

Ted

• Like 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I forgot one movie to add to this thread which I just love, although some dissed it: Tom Hanks "The Terminal" which just brings back so many memories of mine when I was a road warrior spending sometimes hours long layovers wandering airport terminals all over the US, indeed all over the Northern Hemisphere and East/West Hemispheres.  The way they modeled that Terminal was done so well, it reminded me of JFK and looked like JFK even though it wasn't.  And it was based on a true story of a foreign national who was stranded in Paris.  It had all the airport sights and sounds and smells I used to love with every type of store represented.  Although on the ground, it was an aviation favorite.

John

Some of the ones I enjoyed...

"Always" with Richard Dreyfuss, John Goodman, Holly Hunter (babe), and Audrey Hepburn (classic lady).

"633 Sguadron"  with Cliff Robertson, George Chakiris, Maria Perschy, Harry Andrews, and Donald Houston.

"The Blue Max" with George Peppard, James Mason, Ursula Andress, Jeremy Kemp, and Carl Schell as the Red Baron.

"Dive Bomber" with Errol Flynn, Fred MacMurray, Ralph Bellamy, and Alexis Smith.

"Flight Command" with Robert Taylor, Ruth Hussey, Walter Pidgean, and Red Skelton.  Some of you might remember Red!

Not everyday you see someone rip a radio out of a Grumman F3F-2 aircraft! Also using a fog landing device in the F3F.

Edited by TuFun

Richard Bach's Jonathan Livingston Seagull.  The book was better but the movie not so bad.

Once I acted in a play in The Roswell Little Theater.  A young lady, a high school senior, played the part of my daughter.  She was a very bright and talented young lady and I passed my copy of JLS to her and told her when she met some bright young person who impressed her to pass it on to them with the stipulation that they in turn pass it on to someone.  The book had been passed on to me by my flight instructor when I was going for my commercial rating.

Noel

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Yet another movie I remember with two great aviation scenes, worth a watch, is Capricorn One.   The Learjet scene and the Telly Savalas, Elliot Gould flight in the crop duster was the best aerial chase ever recorded in my opinion, and Telly Savalas stole the movie with his comedy.  Find it, rent it and watch it.  I have the movie on my computer and watch it from time to time, especially good in it was Eliott Gould whose comedy-drama in the movie was first rate.

John

Talking about movies with great aviation scenes I haven't seen mentioned:

The Great Waldo Pepper / Robert Redford 

Cloud dancer / David Carradine

The Pilot / Cliff Robertson

Family flight / Rod Taylor

2 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

Yet another movie I remember with two great aviation scenes, worth a watch, is Capricorn One.   The Learjet scene and the Telly Savalas, Elliot Gould flight in the crop duster was the best aerial chase ever recorded in my opinion, and Telly Savalas stole the movie with his comedy.  Find it, rent it and watch it.  I have the movie on my computer and watch it from time to time, especially good in it was Eliott Gould whose comedy-drama in the movie was first rate.

Highly recommended for faked moon landing conspiracy theorists. :biggrin:

6 minutes ago, Holdit said:

Highly recommended for faked moon landing conspiracy theorists. :biggrin:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, that is where I feel such conspiracy theories originated from, this movie, which was so entertaining.  I did in fact like OJ Simpson in it too, all the actors were good, especially Richard Brolin and Hal Holbrook.  The movie was also an indictment of the lack of interest the leadership had in the moon landings as they became routine and an indictment of the press for the way some stories were handled by editors.  The press editor in that movie was absolutely hilarious in his role, the movie's mix of comedy and drama is first rate, and the ending alone is worth watching and unexpected if one has never seen the movie which is probably true of the younger generation.  For me few movies are as entertaining, Airport 75 was, same went for Airport 77 and also a James Bond movie, "You Only Live Twice" for its gyrocopter scene, also a great air chase sequence and for the jokes made about "Little Nellie".  Last, the "Last Starfighter" is a fun movie as well and was one of the first CGI movies.  I have the video game for it, a very rare download, just like the one in the movie.  It was a great Lance Guest and Robert Preston movie worthy of watching and a tongue in cheek answer to Star Wars.  I first saw it with my late brother at his home in Reno when I went there on a bus trip to visit him one year, or maybe I flew up there since I often did both from SFO and Napa.

John