Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

B748 - setting elevator trim

I feel that I might be losing it🤣

How do I set the rudder trim value? I can find no mention in the PMDG manuals.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Rudder trim is aft on the center console.  Use the FCOM.

Dan Downs KCRP

Rudder trim should be zero for take-off and indeed in-flight unless the airframe is bent (I'm sure PMDG's engineering is impeccable!).

The only time it should be needed is for an engine failure. I've no idea about the -8, but on the -400 you would expect to need roughly 4 units for an inboard and 7 units for an outboard failure on takeoff (4-7... hmmm!).

Top tip: you get about one unit of trim per second when you hold the trim knob full left/right. Thus if you have an engine failure after takeoff, once you are safely airborne and you want to trim the rudder you can just hold the knob and count to 4 or 7 as appropriate and that should get you around the right ballpark.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies.

I think that I have lost it! I meant that I didn't know how to set the B748 elevator trim.

I shall start a separate post so as to not cause confusion.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

4 hours ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

Thanks for the replies.

I think that I have lost it! I meant that I didn't know how to set the B748 elevator trim.

Yoke buttons 😳

5 hours ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

Thanks for the replies.

Well that’s a whole different story. 

One tip though. You’ll need some hydraulics on before being able to move the elevator trim.