Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Photoscenery Draw area very minimal, rest blurry?

Im pretty sure this issue is just a p3d thing and has been for some time, its just i'm just now noticing it more.

Even setting the (LOD) detail radius to maximum in P3D i feel like the photoscenery tiles only draw out a short distance.. you can see obvious blurry tiles until you get closer.   I guess i could modify the actual lod to be much higher than what the bar sets it at, say 6.5 or 7 etc.

p3dphotodraw.jpg

Any thoughts.  Perhaps there is a tweak i'm forgetting (most likely just the manual LOD)

Thanks in advance

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I think this is a common problem with photo textures. Some prepar3D.cfg tweaks (like TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=180+) may help a bit but there is no real cure for this.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Modifying the LOD directly will not work. P3D will not use greater than 6.5.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I think this is a problem with ground textures in general in P3D, just a lot more noticeable with photoscenery.

It's especially noticeable at night. At 37,000 feet, below you can clearly see the lights from cities, but in the distance its nothing but darkness. Note that I am not talking about the autogen lights from FTX or BM, but of the light splashes on the textures themselves. You can't see them in the distance because they are all blurry like in this picture the OP uploaded.

Compared to, in real life, when flying you can see cities in the distance for hundreds of miles.

From the P3D learning center:

[DISPLAY]

TextureMaxLoad=6

Non-Default entry. This entry will not exist in your Prepar3D.cfg file by default and must be added to the file.

Performance Tuning Tip:

This can induce stutters. Use multiples of 3 only such as 3, 6, 9, etc. This is perfect for photorealistic scenery

PR is "currently" capped at 256 x 256 … unfortunately, I can't discuss much more about that cap 😉 but stay tuned ...

As far as night lights, if you run default P3D terrain, lights will display to the horizon … if you run Orbx terrain and Orbx lights they will not.

Cheers, Rob.

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

PR is "currently" capped at 256 x 256 … unfortunately, I can't discuss much more about that cap 😉 but stay tuned ...

🙏 Please, please, please let us have a LOD radius improvement for photo scenery so we can forget about that awful 'never-quite-loaded' look to the mid-distance tiles in P3D 🤞

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I think since much of the photoreal scenery out there is just  flat without matching agn it will be more noticeable.  One way I use to help "camouflage" the issue is to add my own 3D buildings and vegetation or seek out photoreal add-ons that have it.

Sounds like LM has something in the works... let's hope for a fix with version 5 🙏

Edited by Clutch Cargo

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Contrary to popular belief (or maybe not so popular), LM do listen to end users and content providers.

Cheers, Rob.