Sign in to follow this  
TurboKen

RTX2080 NOT Impressed... Or...Am I???

34 minutes ago, Montie said:

Given the price tag it’s pretty unimpressive.

"Envy is an ugly thing."

I'd say it's pretty impressive results.
What exactly did you expect?!

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

"""""  The company initially had no name and the co-founders named all their files NV, as in "next version". The need to incorporate the company prompted the co-founders to review all words with those two letters, leading them to "invidia", the Latin word for "envy"  """"

The above is an excerpt taken from the Nvidia Wiki page -''Company History'' section.  Yeah, fun useless trivia  :-)

13 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

"Envy is an ugly thing."

I'd say it's pretty impressive results.
What exactly did you expect?!

You can get the same performance for less money. A RTX card (and by that money) is wasted on P3D until a new graphics engines is introduced.

Edited by Montie

Not necessarily. If it's all about frame rates then yes possibly, but if it's also about the amount of settings that you can activate at the same time, then for some of us it might be worth it, especially considering that not all of us use our cards for flight simulation exclusively.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I guess what I'm wondering is if flying at night with DL on is worth $1300(including taxes and shipping)Canadian...since I'm using a 1440 monitor it seems like a hard pill to swallow. My 1070 paired with my 6700k at 4.7 is giving me 45-60 (vsync on) pretty much anywhere. 

Well I've got a 6700k @4.6 and just set up the FSL A319 at DD KSEA/Orbx PNW with 3 cloud layers and rain, turned all the exterior lights on with dynamic lights and moderate-high settings at 4k/30hz and my 2080TI shredded it without breaking a sweat. I could only get it to go below 30fps by jacking up the autogen which is CPU-bound. I am coming from the 980Ti so don't mind spending the extra money. Worth every penny of the $500 more than I would pay for a new 1080Ti. People need to stop concentrating on the max FPS. It's about maintaining the low-end FPS in demanding conditions. That's what the 1080Ti can't do and this card can.

Ben 

• Like 3

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

Happy to report that the 2080 makes a world of difference vs my 1070. I ve just lifted off CYUL with active sky multi layed cloud with rain in 4k and its smooth as butter. I ve set cloud at 110nm and flying above the multilayer overcast The fps is still high and gpu usage around 85%. Running with a 8700k@5.1. Need to do some DL test now.

Vincent Rouleau

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

2 hours ago, vincentrouleau said:

Happy to report that the 2080 makes a world of difference vs my 1070. I ve just lifted off CYUL with active sky multi layed cloud with rain in 4k and its smooth as butter. I ve set cloud at 110nm and flying above the multilayer overcast The fps is still high and gpu usage around 85%. Running with a 8700k@5.1. Need to do some DL test now.

Vincent Rouleau

Thanks for this information. I'm definitely curious to hear how it performs with DL on and some AA, since my monitor is 1440 I use 4SSAA at the moment. DL is not liking that setting at all.

On 10/15/2018 at 7:22 PM, vincentrouleau said:

Vincent Rouleau

Have you had a chance to test the DL with the 2080? I wonder if it would keep the performance up, compared to my 1070. 

Thanks

On 10/14/2018 at 2:26 AM, Anders Bermann said:

"Envy is an ugly thing."

Fallacy.

Because he doesn't think the price is worth the performance, doesn't mean he's envious.  

Be better.

1 hour ago, flytrumpet767 said:

Have you had a chance to test the DL with the 2080? I wonder if it would keep the performance up, compared to my 1070. 

Thanks

Yes. Big changes from before. Mind you, you still need to do the hat-switch-go-around-the-plane-to-fill-the-shader-cache trick, but I am running 100% UTL traffic with dynamic light airports. What used to kill my 1070 was turning on the landing lights right at the gate and splashing the wall with light. Now the fps doesn't budge. The fluidity of taxing with the taxi lights in,... in 4k..... In changes the immersion factor. Do yourself a favor and go pick up a new card. If you are asking yourself if you should upgrade, then do. 

At LPPT with the landing lights on. 60 fps.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MrKGcu6noZcEfK1U7

Internal flood lights are ok too. Still running a 2xMSAA Anisotropic x4

Edited by vincentrouleau

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

47 minutes ago, vincentrouleau said:

Yes. Big changes from before. Mind you, you still need to do the hat-switch-go-around-the-plane-to-fill-the-shader-cache trick, but I am running 100% UTL traffic with dynamic light airports. What used to kill my 1070 was turning on the landing lights right at the gate and splashing the wall with light. Now the fps doesn't budge. The fluidity of taxing with the taxi lights in,... in 4k..... In changes the immersion factor. Do yourself a favor and go pick up a new card. If you are asking yourself if you should upgrade, then do. 

Thanks for this detailed information. It definitely is tempting, but I’m just not sure it’s worth the $ only for some better looking lights. I’m able to maintain between 45-60 FPS (vsync on) at any airport in any weather (2048 clouds) with 4SSAA at 1440, with settings mostly to the right, except autogen draw, which is at medium. I don’t use any traffic (roads or planes). I think I can live without DL for the moment I guess.

53 minutes ago, vincentrouleau said:

Internal flood lights are ok too.

Its strange. I did a thread and tests where I pretty much reached that conclusion, and so did Rob. Others have come up with the same general results, but it seems like it's going to have to be repeated quite a few times before it finally becomes part of the general lore.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

18 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Its strange. I did a thread and tests where I pretty much reached that conclusion, and so did Rob. Others have come up with the same general results, but it seems like it's going to have to be repeated quite a few times before it finally becomes part of the general lore.

But I believe he's using a 2080, not the TI version. Which would more than likely not be the same performance wise. I'm not denying the benefits, just not sure the cost is justified at this time.

1 hour ago, vincentrouleau said:

I'd be very interested to know your settings, Vincent.

I am toying with the idea of a 2080.

How is it with shadow settings, cloud draw at 150 miles, rain, etc.? What AA?

Could you try cranking them up and letting us know some results? 😛

The 2080 is far more reasonably priced.

Edited by VHOJT