Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

QW 787 final thoughts ?

10 hours ago, honanhal said:

Then there are the things that still don’t quite work that you would expect at this price point. The autopilot, while it hasn’t yet taken me in completely the wrong direction, is more than a little wonky. It misses even moderately tight turns, and sometimes the TOD goes permanently missing.

If that IS in fact the case, I'm surprised others have given it the green light.   Although (apart from the TOD issue) as I understand it, the real world software isn't 100% bang on the money either.

So...there is no "save flight/save panel state" feature, correct? That's a huge disadvantage for long-haulers

it's one of the best aircraft you can buy in P3D and that too for a bargain.. u get -8, -9, -10 for just under 70 bucks.. lemme tell you a secret.. it was the real reason I jumped from XP11 to P3D4.. ssshhh... don't tell anyone.. ofcourse , once i came onboard, couldnt resist and ended up buying all PMDG widebodies.. no regrets there either!

i love the awesome eye candy of QW 787 but one thing i found was it was harder on fps than PMDG.. that was before the update.. i havent tested it yet after the update.. busy with the 747-8.. do you guys think the FPS has improved after the update?

also, @JimYoung, I dont think that's a good way to test the FPS..  you have a min fps of 16 (probably on final, from VC) and a max of 89 (maybe at cruise, spot view).. and say that your average is 40..  both the min and max dont matter as much as what the FPS is on final in the VC view.. thats the real bottleneck and any drop in fluidity during that phase of flight can really screw up your immersion and leave a bad taste after the flight.. i hope all FPS benchmarks can be made from the VC, 10 miles out on final approach.. that's the most demanding situation in any sim, and that's the climax of the entire flight where fluidity really makes a difference..

Edited by vin747

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

That's right, G-YMML1. To me that's probably the most important aspect: Can I save a flight and continue? This works like a charm with PMDG, MaddogX, Majestic, TFDI, but not with the QW787. 

No matter what you can do with an aircraft or what it offers, those bells and whistles are worth nothing if your flight is interrupted for whatever reason and you cannot just resume it. If you run out of resources, and this can happen during a very long flight, you must be able to rely on this saving function. For that reason, I tend to use my PMDGs for long haul. That means that the QW787 stays on the ground. But I still hope, that this important function will be looked into and made stable.

Chris Kuehne

9 minutes ago, Christoph4445 said:

That's right, G-YMML1. To me that's probably the most important aspect: Can I save a flight and continue? This works like a charm with PMDG, MaddogX, Majestic, TFDI, but not with the QW787. 

No matter what you can do with an aircraft or what it offers, those bells and whistles are worth nothing if your flight is interrupted for whatever reason and you cannot just resume it. If you run out of resources, and this can happen during a very long flight, you must be able to rely on this saving function. For that reason, I tend to use my PMDGs for long haul. That means that the QW787 stays on the ground. But I still hope, that this important function will be looked into and made stable.

Chris Kuehne

Humm, then you are missing a lot. There is no need to fly for 4, 5, or 6 + hours. If the sims would be as real as the real world, then yeah , that would tempt to fly long hours enjoying the outside view. The longest flight I've done on any aircraft is 3 hours. Anything longer is well, repetitive in the scenery department. 

Can I save a flight and continue? This works like a charm with PMDG, MaddogX, Majestic, TFDI, but not with the QW787

The TFDi Design save panel feature is unfortunately not the same thing as it is with the PMDG airliners. It's an "all or nothing" format, which means that either you save nothing, or the aircraft state is saved automatically whenever you leave the simulator. What I want is to be able to manually save the panel state, which is entirely different.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Just as update.  I removed my shaders and p3d config. and let the P3D rebuild yesterday.  Over night, I was able to fly KEWR-PHNL in the 789 w/ WX radar and AS WX without issue.  No CTD.  Fingers crossed.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

It’s a fun aircraft to fly with, although to be fair I’ve been busy with the big sister 747-8 recently. It has some excellent/revolutionary features like the jump ahead.

One thing though, if you’re used to flying PMDG/FSL - don’t look too deeply under the surface on systems simulation or compare with the real thing too much (which I tend to do, after the initial few flights and feeling that hey, I can fly this now). There’s a few things I’d like to see improved which includes HUD.

The good thing is that the team is excellent and very responsive, hopefully will make this into a much more solid add on than it already is. 

Chen

Chen Chen

MSFS: FENIX A320 / PMDG 737 / FBW A32NX / WT 787-10

NZAA 

I find it's actually pretty hard on FPS compared to other aircraft (it hits my i5-4960 CPU constraint, not my 1080Ti GPU constraint) - it's comparable to the FSL A320 for me in this regard (but nowhere near the fidelity). And the gauges and HUD update at about 10-15fps, which makes it feel even worse (especially at night time when there's no scenery to provide a better sense of fluidity).

Edited by Bryn

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

This AC is one, of just a few, reasons why I still return to P3D.

5 hours ago, Bryn said:

And the gauges and HUD update at about 10-15fps, which makes it feel even worse (especially at night time when there's no scenery to provide a better sense of fluidity).

The refresh rate is adjustable in a .cfg file in the QW directory. Default is 18 — I found even upping that just a hair to 20 made a big difference in fluidity without hitting performance.

The thing is beautiful inside and out. Applied the latest update and another CTD, this time as I was turning to approach. I'm going to uninstall it and reinstall. A frustrating plane because of it's potential. Not yet achieved.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

44 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

The thing is beautiful inside and out. Applied the latest update and another CTD, this time as I was turning to approach. I'm going to uninstall it and reinstall. A frustrating plane because of it's potential. Not yet achieved.

Please make sure when you install you check the box to send the automated crash reports to them. It really helps them fix them quicker. 

Eric 

On 10/12/2018 at 8:06 AM, vin747 said:

also, @JimYoung, I dont think that's a good way to test the FPS..  you have a min fps of 16 (probably on final, from VC) and a max of 89 (maybe at cruise, spot view).. and say that your average is 40..  both the min and max dont matter as much as what the FPS is on final in the VC view.. thats the real bottleneck and any drop in fluidity during that phase of flight can really screw up your immersion and leave a bad taste after the flight.. i hope all FPS benchmarks can be made from the VC, 10 miles out on final approach.. that's the most demanding situation in any sim, and that's the climax of the entire flight where fluidity really makes a difference..

The minimum fps is at startup after the aircraft loads.  It means nothing because the sim is loading.  The fsuipc utility is loaded before the aircraft is even selected in the setup.  I think you misunderstand the power of the fsuipc utility which provided the reports.  Of course, no utility is 100% accurate but I think the fsuipc utility provides an excellent representation of the performance of any aircraft and scenery loaded.  I paid for FSUIPC so I am using their ability to record performance during a flight. I can tell you that if there is any lag or pause during a flight that ruins my immersion into a product, I would report it but have indicated the flights I have logged have been totally fluid.  I do watch the sims fps (Shift+ZZ) during most of any flight and amazed at the fps I am getting.  Even my MSE scenery loads immediately (since disabling Hyper-Threading).  I am in hog-heaven....

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, Lenny777 said:

Applied the latest update and another CTD, this time as I was turning to approach.

The sim uses the most computer resources during the approach phase of any flight depending on the airport and other scenery installed.  If you have ASP4 or other weather engine enabled, that would cause more resources to be used during this critical part of a flight session.  I would be interested if there was an error report using AppCrashView or in the Event Viewer.  The faulting module would provide a clue.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10