Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

QW 787 final thoughts ?

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

The sim uses the most computer resources during the approach phase of any flight depending on the airport and other scenery installed.  If you have ASP4 or other weather engine enabled, that would cause more resources to be used during this critical part of a flight session.  I would be interested if there was an error report using AppCrashView or in the Event Viewer.  The faulting module would provide a clue.

I'm going to reinstall and try again with error report ticked. I thought I had same but maybe not. I've actually never had a flight without a CTD. And I use AS. 

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Ok I reinstalled it and the first time no CTD. That's the good news. The bad news is that it wouldn't land on the specs from the FMC and stall warnings greeted me as I was making the approach the gears down and flaps. I couldn't pull out of it and hit the deck the plane swerving off the runway heading. Oh well.

I have not tested it but I an interested to do so and find out what happens when FSUIPC autosave (or the new free one now available) saves the flight and restart it.  I may not be that much work to get it back in the case of crash during the middle of a long haul flight.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Quite interested in adding the 787 to my virtual hanger but I think I would need a reliable reload panel state as with PMDG to consider the QW 787 as I use this feature a lot with PMDG aircraft.

bruceb

• Like 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

1 hour ago, Lenny777 said:

The bad news is that it wouldn't land on the specs from the FMC and stall warnings greeted me as I was making the approach the gears down and flaps. I couldn't pull out of it and hit the deck the plane swerving off the runway heading. Oh well.

That's exactly what I was saying above.  Same thing happened until I figured out how to go to the dispatcher and load the number of passengers, the fuel, and the cargo and save it for the aircraft I was flying.  If you do not do this, you can still do a manual landing.  So study the information regarding the dispatch system.  To test, I would eliminate all passengers and cargo and give yourself just enough fuel to take off and land, then SAVE it.  The FMC will automatically read the proper settings so do NOT touch those settings in the performance page. 

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

I have not tested it but I an interested to do so and find out what happens when FSUIPC autosave (or the new free one now available) saves the flight and restart it.  I may not be that much work to get it back in the case of crash during the middle of a long haul flight.

I would not use autosave.  Like the jump feature in the menu of the 787, you can jump to any waypoint along your route, even jump from the waypoint from just after takeoff to just before landing.  Like the jump feature, autosave is not real world piloting and it may cause problems. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

I would not use autosave.  Like the jump feature in the menu of the 787, you can jump to any waypoint along your route, even jump from the waypoint from just after takeoff to just before landing.  Like the jump feature, autosave is not real world piloting and it may cause problems. 

Jim,  I am not sure what real world piloting has to do with it.  Having your computer crash due to a software issue is not real world piloting either, but its nice to have a saved scenario from the last 10 or 15 minutes to be able to load up and continue your flight.  

• Like 4

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

1 minute ago, MarkW said:

Jim,  I am not sure what real world piloting has to do with it. 

I threw that in as many will say using the jump feature is not like the real world and I was just covering all bases.  You have to be politically correct when responding.  The Autosave feature in FSUIPC has caused crashes (see the AVSIM CTD Forum) and many no longer use it because they stopped getting crashes during the flight.  The autosave feature could actually be causing your crashes and not the sim.  I think this is the reason someone put out a freeware version for autosave.  Apologize for trying to be politically correct.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

19 hours ago, Jim Young said:

That's exactly what I was saying above.  Same thing happened until I figured out how to go to the dispatcher and load the number of passengers, the fuel, and the cargo and save it for the aircraft I was flying.  If you do not do this, you can still do a manual landing.  So study the information regarding the dispatch system.  To test, I would eliminate all passengers and cargo and give yourself just enough fuel to take off and land, then SAVE it.  The FMC will automatically read the proper settings so do NOT touch those settings in the performance page. 

I saved it from the dispatch - fuel, cargo, passengers. So I don't know what you're talking about. I mean I've been flying PMGDs 737,747,777 for years. Each plane I'm sensitive to the set up features including this one. I always set up this plane at the dispatch and save it to the cfg file. 

19 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I threw that in as many will say using the jump feature is not like the real world and I was just covering all bases.  You have to be politically correct when responding.  The Autosave feature in FSUIPC has caused crashes (see the AVSIM CTD Forum) and many no longer use it because they stopped getting crashes during the flight.  The autosave feature could actually be causing your crashes and not the sim.  I think this is the reason someone put out a freeware version for autosave.  Apologize for trying to be politically correct.

OK got it.  I have not experienced crashes from using Autosave and i think Pete has chimed in here many times to dispute this suggestion.  The only problem wtih Autosave is that when writing all of the variable to the save file you can get a slight pause in the sim which is why I only have it save every 15 min.

Mark W   CYYZ      

Yesterday night I wanted to make a flight from EGKK to KSEA with Norwegian B789. I had the latest update applied via their updater "version to version". Did not make a full install, maybe a good idea?

But I had many problems in the flight, and after around 4hrs the sim crashed. So I had no intention to once again restart everything. My problems where the following:

• performance is changing, even with a GTX 980 TI and refresh rate set so 11 by default I always have more or less good frames
  • airport charts on ND display are not present since the first update. I have at no airport these even after new install
  • crash during departure (I used a tool to get the correct time at the airport but it crashs, maybe not the fault of QW)
  • is not able to follow a VNAV path according to the SID limitations, in EGKK you first go on 5000ft and then later onto 6000ft. I goes up to 6000ft straight. In FMC its correct displayed
  • after 4hrs crash with "prepar3d.exe got a problem and has to be quit"

In general a nice plane but with these crashes and faults flying online is a mess. I thought there was a kind of crash reporter build into QW787? But I could not find it in the manual?

Edited by clocki

Greetings Eddi :smile:

It is one of the best simulations for FSX/P3D period. The visuals external/internal, the systems and flight modeling are great (of course, from a pax perspective having flown on a 787 a few times, it is a very smooth flight).

Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

I started flying her about 10 days ago, I see a lot of potential in the future provided the developers fix the bugs and improve the realism a little bit deeper.

The fact that I can't save the aircraft state is probably the biggest let down, every time I return from a flight I basically have to setup the flight deck from scratch, especially the lighting (which is a very personal taste thing per se). Talking about the lighting, the inability to change the DUs brightness via its own knobs is a major mistake in my opinion.

Bothers me also autothrottle engagement for takeoff, which will rarely respect the derates and assumed temperatures selected. LNAV and VNAV accuracy also has a huge room for improvement. Even Flight Level Change mode on descent has to be used with caution otherwise the plane will climb instead of going down.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

Only thing I don't like is the buttons. When you push them, they have no animation. Unlike the PMDG 747, the 747 has the buttons animated. When you push it, it actually dips in.

But it's very minor and it shouldn't effect anything at all.

Edited by arwasairl