Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

jet for low end pc?

I think it would be fun to have a nice jet but my pc is low. I'm running an i7-930 2.8Ghz o/c to 3.8Ghz

6 Gigs on board ram

GTX 960 w/4Gigs

any jet or am I out of luck?

It doesn't have to be big iron, I'm pretty much open to about anything except old FSX default.

CRJ, Boeing, Airbus, whatever runs well.

Thanks.

Ciao!

I would consider trying Project Airbus A318, A319.  It is light on systems but better than FSX default... way better.  I use it to test with in P3Dv4 when I am running at 3.8GHz.  Get great FPS.   Since it's a freebie maybe worth a look?

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

The GLJ 25 Lear jet.

Stunning little jet and very light on FPS etc.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Of course it's worth being somewhat conservative on the options settings for P3D, and what would also be worth having would be this utility, which will help to get P3D running a bit better at times when the graphic load is higher:

https://www.justflight.com/product/fftf-dynamic-p3d-v4

With regard to some decent jets which are a bit easier on frame rates, there are a lot of choices worth checking out. All of the suggestions I'm making here are both inexpensive, and easy on frame rates, with links to the product below a brief description of the thing and its relative merits...

First up, this thing, which is the Next Gen Simulations Cessna Model 525C Citation CJ4X (you get two variants of the aircraft, with different horizontal stabilisers). These have a fairly realistic rendition of a modern glass cockpit-equipped private jet with Collins ProLine 21 avionics, but which doesn't tax your PC too hard. One of the great things about this add-on jet (and there are many great things about it), is that it has a fantastic PDF tutorial manual, which is one of the best ones you'll ever read if you wanted a really well-written guide to how to program and understand flight plans. The fact that it only costs about 20 quid makes it an absolute bargain:

https://nxgnsim.blogspot.com/p/citation-cj4x-for-fsx.html

For something a bit bigger, check out the (recent updated and released for P3D V4) Flight 1 Ultimate Airliners DC-9 and Super 80 MegaPack. This is a set of fairly old add-on jetliners which have been made compatible with the latest P3D version and bundled together into one product package. This is good because these add-on aeroplanes date from a period where graphical expectations/demands were a bit lower than they are these days becazuse of the VAS limits of FSX, so these run well on lesser computers because of that. The downside of this is that the switches/clickspots for some the controls on the overhead panels are rather low poly physical 3D-modeled switches rather than the super high resolution stuff you'd see in the latest FSL/PMDG jetliner, but they work and do contribute to its low demands on your PC, and personally I don't think they look terrible anyway.

As far as realism/systems simulation is concerned,it is one of the more realistic ones you can find, even in spite of its fairly old origins, so if you want something which is a bit 'study sim', this would be a good choice. If you are fortunate enough to have owned this in its original FSX form it is cheap too, because if you can prove you purchased the original (which would have been from Flight 1), you can download a discount coupon to use so it'll only cost 20 quid to buy, but even if you cannot take advantage of that, it's still quite a lot of bang for your bucks at full price (£40) for what is basically a 'study sim' since you get a lot of aeroplanes with quite a lot of different avionics fits, from Super MD80 variants to original DC-9s, so it's great value, and as noted, it gets excellent frame rates even on a very modest PC:

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=s80dc9mp

Buuuut.... If you really want something which gets absolutely ballistic frame rates on a very modest PC, then you should certainly check out all of the add-on stuff from Virtualcol. They make a lot of add-ons, of the 'cheap and cheerful' variety, but just because they are cheap does not mean they are bad, they are merely not super detailed in terms of in depth systems simulation, but they are still great fun. I am a massive fan of this developer because I particularly support their design ethos. I don't like the idea of flight simming being some kind of elitist hobby, nor one which can only be enjoyed after having spent weeks reading a manual the size of an encyclopedia; not everyone has a super-duper PC and an unlimited time/monetary budget for their flight simming, so I think it's great that these guys cater for that market. I always buy stuff from developers whom I admire, and that's exactly why I've made a point of owning every single product Virtualcol have ever made, but this is not mere philanthropy; I fly them all regularly too because they are great fun, I like and use their airport add-ons as well for the same reasons:

https://www.virtualcol.com/products.php?kcmdlnk=catalogo

All Virtualcol's stuff is worth a look, but I will recommend in particular their Embraer 190-195 Regional Jets X. This is a great looking jet (two actually since you get both the 190 and the 195) and even has animated ground services, which is amazing considering it costs less than 10 quid! It comes with pretty much every repaint livery you could ever want, and when it comes to frame rates, this thing is absolutely unbeatable in P3D V4, there is no way any other jetliner add-on for P3D V4 will get better frame rates than this thing, so it's ideal for low end PCs. I'd put money on this running at a very high frame rate on your PC.

The Virtualcol Embraer 190/195 is currently on offer for just £7.73 at Simshack, and for this kind of price you really can't go wrong; you can't even get two beers for this kind of money lol:

https://www.simshack.net/products/embraer-190-195-regional-jets-fsx-p3d-944

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Cool sky MD80’s are pretty fps friendly.  And no first hand knowledge but maybe the ifly 737?

Matt Wilson

The Carenado Citation 550, which has an excellent autopilot and IAS hold that uses pitch to hold cruise climb during climbout.  She is not quite as fast as an airliner but on the 300-500 NM routes comes in under the wire only minutes slower, and can use much smaller airfields.  I have P3DV4.3, btw....

If you are also an Xplane11 user, try Aerobask's Eclipse which has similar autopilot functionality and runs equally well on a cpu and gpu similar to mine.  For me it's a coin toss between the two, but I favor the 550 because I have reams of West Coast photo scenery I have either purchased or made for P3DV4, purchased thru MSE or for interior states, made with FSEarthtiles.

John

Great options given here. I second the super 80 package, level d, and virtualcol offerings. Level D is still one of my favorites and I miss it dearly in p3dv4. 

Orman

15 hours ago, Nyxx said:

The GLJ 25 Lear jet.

Stunning little jet and very light on FPS etc.

A fun plane to fly (the 8-track player is hilarious) but it will irritate you if you like realistic systems modeling. They gave it autothrottle for some reason (the real plane held airspeed with pitch changes), and the autopilot has a bad habit of causing extreme pitch-ups when you disengage it at too high a speed. But the 70's wall panels and the overall feel of the plane really does make you feel like you're delivering nose-candy while wearing a leisure suit and a Cheech Marin mustache. 😉

I also would hesitate to recommend the Carenado Citation 550 or any of their other bizjets. They're very pretty, but the navigation setup sucks in all of their glass cockpit planes. You can expect to have to buy a 3rd party plugin module in order to get one that's usable. I have their Phenom 300 and my two major problems with it are that just about the only way to reliably navigate anywhere is by doing direct-to because filling out a whole flight plan is hit-or-miss, and what really irritated me is that upgrading to the navigraph extension actually *broke* the plane's ability to just load a plan from the flight planner in p3d. I actually paid extra money to break the plane. I asked Carenado about that and was basically told to "screw off; we aren't fixing it." I don't expect PMDG quality from a plane this inexpensive, but when you pay 50 bucks you do kind of expect things to, you know, work.

Edited by eslader

2 minutes ago, eslader said:

A fun plane to fly (the 8-track player is hilarious) but it will irritate you if you like realistic systems modeling. They gave it autothrottle for some reason (the real plane held airspeed with pitch changes), and the autopilot has a bad habit of causing extreme pitch-ups when you disengage it at too high a speed.

Never used the autothrottle and not had the pitch ups. 🙂 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

8 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Never used the autothrottle and not had the pitch ups. 🙂 

Get it up to around FL400 at cruise mach on autopilot and disengage it. That's a fairly reliable way for me to get the pitch-up.  It's the same violent pitch-up you get when you overspeed, but unlike the autopilot disengage, that's actually what the real plane does.

I don't use the autothrottle either. 😉

Edited by eslader

17 minutes ago, briansommers said:

what about captainsim 732 or 757

anyone with experience with these?

Mehh not a fan.  One I forgot to mention earlier is the Milviz 732.  

Matt Wilson

Aerosoft DC-8 seems pretty easy on performance.

The only possible issue with it for you, would be that it uses TrueGlass for rain effects, which might impact a lower-end PC.

I would not lump Carenado's Phenom 300 in with the Carenado C550.  I have the Navigraph extension for their C550 Citation II, and it most certainly works quite well on my rig.  I cannot speak of their Phenom 300, however -- perhaps it does have issues, but the C550 is a nice bizjet with the FMC / Navigraph extensions, that does seem ideal for a lower-end PC.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB