Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

RTX video cards and P3d 3D tees

Has anyone checked to see if performance has improved enough with either an RTX2080 or an RTX 2080 TI to allow use of Speedtrees? 3D trees look so much more realistic (other than some of them are that odd electric green color) in P3d4 and DCS World. It's a shame that they drag down performance in P3d4.

I haven't checked, but I will … it's the lack of density (even at max) of SpeedTrees is the only reason I went back to X trees.

Cheers, Rob.

During my testing, I accidentally left speed trees on a couple of times. If my memory is correct it didn't make a difference to the frame rate. I'll check again.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

But what about tees?:ohmy:

Thanks Rob. The 3D trees only slow things down for me if I use the maximum setting for tree density. I thought I read somewhere a while back that processing of vegetation autogen had been offloaded to the GPU. But maybe that's just the billboard trees.

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

During my testing, I accidentally left speed trees on a couple of times. If my memory is correct it didn't make a difference to the frame rate. I'll check again.

Thanks. See my post to Rob.

2 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

it's the lack of density (even at max) of SpeedTrees

Maybe LM could make the tree densities equivalent in the next revision.

It is not only the lack of density, but also the strange colours. With the FTX TreesHD, variation in colours and types is simply better to me.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I've found that the weird Speedtrees color can be toned down a bit by ticking "receive shadows" for them. It helps but it still doesn't explain why these textures look so strange in P3d4.

On 10/11/2018 at 7:12 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

I haven't checked, but I will … it's the lack of density (even at max) of SpeedTrees is the only reason I went back to X trees.

Cheers, Rob.

Well, I had to ask. :wink: Does 4.4 allow one to increase further the maximum density of Speedtrees or is the maximum allowable density still scaled back from the value used for the billboard trees?

I can't imagine anyone using the speed tress, IMO I think they look bloody awful! I am very happy with Orbx 3D trees.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I don't use them. I was only asking. However, as others have pointed out before, if the Speedtrees (SimObjects) are set to receive shadows in the P3d options, the electric green textures are somewhat muted.