Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Star Citizen’s Squadron 42 shows off a cinematic trailer

Jeez, will this thing ever actually arrive?

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/11/17963910/star-citizen-squadron-42-citizencon-trailer

Star Citizen’s Squadron 42 campaign now has a trailer. It was revealed this week at CitizenCon.

The three-minute cinematic trailer stars Gillian Anderson, Mark Hamill, John Rhys-Davies, Gary Oldman, Henry Cavill and Mark Strong. Aside from a short combat sequence at the end, it’s light on action, more showing voice acting and facial rendering for the mode.

The trailer introduces the story’s existential threat, but not the actors by their names or characters. They are:

• Anderson as Capt. MacLaren
  • Hamill as Lt. Cdr. Steve “Old Man” Colton
  • Rhys-Davies as Randall Graves
  • Oldman as Adm. Ernst Bishop
  • Cavill as Ryan Enright
  • Strong as Capt. Thomas Wade

Of course, there’s no launch date or window for Squadron 42 — just a promise that “the full roadmap to Squadron 42’s release [will be published] in December.” While Cloud Imperium Games has given periodic roadmap updates on the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42 — which are now two separate games — neither have had a deadline or delivery window since 2016.

Star Citizen is the most crowdfunded campaign of any in history — video game or otherwise — collecting $195 million in donations since 2012. A portion of Star Citizen’s multiplayer module, its “persistent universe,” is playable now.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

38 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Jeez, will this thing ever actually arrive?

Well when it does, it is likely to be a massive disappointment. Yes that trailer looks fairly impressive, but does it really look like 195 million dollars worth? Not to me it doesn't. The dialogue is cliche, the graphics don't really look any better than computer games from ten years ago and it's full of massively overused dialogue tropes too, particularly where the casting is concerned...

'Cor blimey/How do you do? I'm an English actor in a big budget US production, therefore I've almost certainly got to be cast as either a villain so we can play off the massively overused Hollywood fallback position of alluding to the War of Independence in order to suit unimaginative American gamers, or I could be a salt of the earth rough diamond other ranks type with a heart of gold, to appeal to that WW2 war movie cliche. So, I'll have put on one of the only two accents American audiences probably think all English people have thanks to Hollywood: Either Dick Van Dyke-style pseudo-cockney, or Peter Cushing/Jeremy Irons/Alan Rickman-style posh educated super-villain with the received pronunciation accent of a BBC TV presenter, circa 1962.'

If ever there was a more phoned-in collection of voice-overs in a production than what was on display in that trailer, I've yet to hear it. It was embarrassing. I just hope Jason Statham has enough self-respect to turn them down when they ask him to play a villain, as they inevitably will.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Well, CRYTEK (the engine) is suing CIG/RSI. From memory, CRYTEK only licensed on of their games and not the others. Previous legal judgements have gone against CIG/RSI. 

This saga will go on for years. We can all go on but there are two camps both with their strong opinions. But 6+ years and $$$,$$$,$$$’s, you’d think there would have been something substantial by now.

My person opinion is that the original concept will never see the light of day, a seriously scaled back version is probably the best bet.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

Some things you should never believe:

"Star Citizen to be released soon."

"Next X-Plane version will feature seasons."

"My flight sim is perfectly smooth at 20 fps."

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Ya' know, after all this time and money, this better be freaking EPIC!

If this comes out with "Five exciting missions in the fantastic Chris Roberts Universe" the gaming world will go insane and a mob will storm the company headquarters. 😋

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

12 hours ago, Groovy_Kincaid said:

Well, CRYTEK (the engine) is suing CIG/RSI. From memory, CRYTEK only licensed on of their games and not the others. Previous legal judgements have gone against CIG/RSI. 

This saga will go on for years. We can all go on but there are two camps both with their strong opinions. But 6+ years and $$$,$$$,$$$’s, you’d think there would have been something substantial by now.

My person opinion is that the original concept will never see the light of day, a seriously scaled back version is probably the best bet.

The GLA dictates the CryEngine licensing covered both Squadron 42 as well as Star Citizen, both games are mentioned specifically by name in the GLA.  That isn't what the suit is about anyway, your post is misleading, by a great deal.  The actual suit is where Crytek is claiming that CGI/RSI is engaged in business of selling their own competing graphics engine.  It doesn't have much legal standing (CGI sells games, soon... not quite yet though) and unless something odd happens (has in other IP suits in U.S. courts), Crytek is probably not going to win this.

Please list what legal judgements they have lost, don't just make nebulous claims.  That too is misleading.  Aside from the lawsuit from Crytek, I know of no legal battles they've lost.

I have issues with the state of Star Citizen and the cost thus far... but I don't think it's appropriate to make misleading posts regarding Squadron 42,Star Citizen, CGI or RSI.

• Like 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Oh god...

Not another Star-Citizen-bashing thread. Jeez ... :sad:

Personally I think it's quite impressive what RSI have pulled off with Star Citizen so far... Yes, it's been a long road, and they're far from finished - but to say, that it's vaporware, scam or that it'll never arrive, is just a bit presumptuous, in my honest opinion.

There's definite progress. They have a quite clear road-map, which feature quarterly feature updates with constant new content. 

As a huge fan of the old Wing Commander series and space games, I'm personally really looking forward to this game! It's incredible ambitious and I do hope, that RSI don't drown in their own ideas... but so far, it looks like they have a clear idea of what their goal are with the game and what they wan't to accomplish. 

Anyway - skepticism is always warranted. But I guess I'm hoping for a positive post sometimes... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

55 minutes ago, WarpD said:

The GLA dictates the CryEngine licensing covered both Squadron 42 as well as Star Citizen, both games are mentioned specifically by name in the GLA.  That isn't what the suit is about anyway, your post is misleading, by a great deal.  The actual suit is where Crytek is claiming that CGI/RSI is engaged in business of selling their own competing graphics engine.  It doesn't have much legal standing (CGI sells games, soon... not quite yet though) and unless something odd happens (has in other IP suits in U.S. courts), Crytek is probably not going to win this.

Please list what legal judgements they have lost, don't just make nebulous claims.  That too is misleading.  Aside from the lawsuit from Crytek, I know of no legal battles they've lost.

I have issues with the state of Star Citizen and the cost thus far... but I don't think it's appropriate to make misleading posts regarding Squadron 42,Star Citizen, CGI or RSI.

I apologize for not writing with any details. I found this summary:

But the lawsuit didn’t stop there. As stated earlier, in 2016, CIG and RSI had begun selling 2 games – Squadron 42 and Star Citizen Persistent Universe. Crytek said that since both games were using the same code, that constituted using the engine twice, resulting in further breach of contract.

Like I said, it was from memory. As I mentioned months ago I was initially a backer and asked for a refund when I saw things going south.

So, maybe previous lawsuits was incorrect term to use. However, after the refunds were issued, Roberts changed the TOS and I believe they did this on multiple occasions (and I could be wrong). It’s that way of thinking “I don’t like my rules so I’m going to change them.”

I don’t follow this saga in depth but I do follow it out of curiosity. I look at both sides and both are fairly zealous as far as I am concerned.

I am going to mention the name Derek Smart. For those who know the name or not, you have to take him with a grain of salt sometimes, but he did call out CIG/RSI. That resulted in Roberts issuing a refund to him without request. Smart did point out a lot of issues or irregularities that seem to be happening. You can go read his blog if you want more info.

Yes maybe I was a little nebulous in my statement but I was correct in engine being used twice in two games.

This is where I leave it.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

The standalone single-player Squadron 42 was the only thing I was ever interested in, and I guess I'll buy it if it turns out okay.

But man... there's enough cheesy dialog in that video to start a chain of fondue restaurants. Maybe the space combat will compensate if it's good enough, and if we don't have to sit through too many Hollywood vanity project cut scenes. Roberts never was any good as a movie director.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

6 hours ago, Groovy_Kincaid said:

I apologize for not writing with any details. I found this summary:

But the lawsuit didn’t stop there. As stated earlier, in 2016, CIG and RSI had begun selling 2 games – Squadron 42 and Star Citizen Persistent Universe. Crytek said that since both games were using the same code, that constituted using the engine twice, resulting in further breach of contract.

Like I said, it was from memory. As I mentioned months ago I was initially a backer and asked for a refund when I saw things going south.

So, maybe previous lawsuits was incorrect term to use. However, after the refunds were issued, Roberts changed the TOS and I believe they did this on multiple occasions (and I could be wrong). It’s that way of thinking “I don’t like my rules so I’m going to change them.”

I don’t follow this saga in depth but I do follow it out of curiosity. I look at both sides and both are fairly zealous as far as I am concerned.

I am going to mention the name Derek Smart. For those who know the name or not, you have to take him with a grain of salt sometimes, but he did call out CIG/RSI. That resulted in Roberts issuing a refund to him without request. Smart did point out a lot of issues or irregularities that seem to be happening. You can go read his blog if you want more info.

Yes maybe I was a little nebulous in my statement but I was correct in engine being used twice in two games.

This is where I leave it.

I believe the suit you refer to was struck down.  The current suit is about them breaching the non-compete clause.

I am aware of Mr. Smart.  Impressed I am not.  We'll leave it at that.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

23 hours ago, Chock said:

The dialogue is cliche, the graphics don't really look any better than computer games from ten years ago and it's full of massively overused dialogue tropes too, particularly where the casting is concerned...

23 hours ago, Chock said:

If ever there was a more phoned-in collection of voice-overs in a production than what was on display in that trailer, I've yet to hear it. It was embarrassing. I just hope Jason Statham has enough self-respect to turn them down when they ask him to play a villain, as they inevitably will.

Seems a bit harsh. Overall the voice acting seems above par, to me, and most of the sci-fi tropes being perpetrated here were actually created mostly by Mr Roberts himself with the Wing Commander series.

Who better to crib from those now common themes than the man who first distilled them for us in his auspicious first efforts?

Devons rig

41 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Seems a bit harsh. Overall the voice acting seems above par, to me, and most of the sci-fi tropes being perpetrated here were actually created mostly by Mr Roberts himself with the Wing Commander series.

Who better to crib from those now common themes than the man who first distilled them for us in his auspicious first efforts?

How about someone who can actually direct and write a story? 🙂

Roberts has always been at his best with supervision, which is the only reason Freelancer got released and was pretty good. Now, he's untethered from anyone saying "no" and he's running a scam... er, I mean a "crowdfunding" project where he has complete control and massive funding. 

The first couple of Wing Commander games were good, in the context of what else was out there at the time. But In case we need any reminder of what Roberts does at the helm, remember this box office turkey he directed?

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

50 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

most of the sci-fi tropes being perpetrated here were actually created mostly by Mr Roberts himself with the Wing Commander series.

That's a bit of a stretch to say the least, they were all around well before that series of games even existed. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Wing Commander games and I even thought the movie of it wasn't actually terrible, not great, but watchable, and I'll even grant that sometimes a bit of such cheesy cliches is what you want. But Star Citizen has been touted as intended to push the boundaries, not trawl up the same old stuff with a bit of polish applied to it, which is exactly what that trailer looks like.

And there is no way Chris Roberts is the originator of any of that stuff. Even as a motion picture, the cliches and tropes of such space operas well and truly predate the very first Wing Commander game (which came out in 1990) by as much as 54 years if one includes the original Flash Gordon Saturday morning cinema series (which was first filmed in 1936). If you include written fiction, Wing Commander's space opera style is predated by almost 80 years by, for example, Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom stories and characters, most famously, John Carter of Mars.

And it's no problem to find many other examples which also predate it, you've got Doctor Who, Star Trek, Dark Star, Silent Running, Space 1999, Thunderbirds, Joe 90, Captain Scarlet, Blake's 7, Battlestar Galactica, Forbidden Planet, Red Dwarf, Star Wars, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, The Last Starfighter, Lost in Space etc, etc, all of which were extant years before the first Wing Commander game. If we include pulp/serious written sci-fi fiction which also predates it, from authors such as HG Wells, Isaac Asimov, L Ron Hubbard, Harry Harrison, Ray Bradbury, Brian Aldiss, JG Ballard, Arthur C Clarke, Robert A. Heinlein etc, some of this stuff was around the best part of a century before Roberts was even born. Even the term 'space opera' itself was coined over two decades before Roberts birth, when it was first used by a writer of sci-fi pulp fiction stories in 1941.

There's nothing original, nor inventive in it at all, which is fine if that's what someone wants. But I'd expect more innovation for a budget of the kind which Star Citizen has had. Hell, they could probably have built a real spaceship for that kind of money.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 minute ago, Paraffin said:

Roberts has always been at his best with supervision, which is the only reason Freelancer got released and was pretty good.

The only reason Freelancer got released was because Roberts was booted OFF the project by Microsoft.

27 minutes ago, Chock said:

There's nothing original, nor inventive in it at all, which is fine if that's what someone wants. But I'd expect more innovation for a budget of the kind which Star Citizen has had. Hell, they could probably have built a real spaceship for that kind of money.

Nah. There's no such thing as a new story, only creative ways of combining old snippets in possibly unique ways. Star Wars was more about Flash Gordon than anything, and Roberts ran with the concept of Spachips as WW2 fighter planes, stirred in a desperate battle against the odds, added the emerging possibilities of computer technology that had just become feasible at the time (along with many other elements) and viola.

When Squadron 42 was first announced, I and I think many other space-sim fans were deep into Freespace as resurrected by various modders, and was pretty much looking for more of the same, just with updated technology, for a genre that seemed to have been forgotten.

Squadron 42 promises exactly what Chris roberts is famous for, and exactly what I think a lot of us wanted and threw money at him to create, a rousing romp against the kilrathi.... or Kizinti, or Klingons (lottsa K's) or whoever the slobbering cannon fodder it is we are supposed to blow the hell up this time.

Most of the rest is gravy, and worrying feature-creep.

I don't even want Star Citizen. I want Squadron 42.

Nice voice acting, and the 3d characters that were not technically available for the wing commander films... er.... games, is exactly what the man has been aiming for forever. I think he only did films because the vision he had wasn't yet possible any other way.

Now it is, and he's following the vision he had from the beginning, which I can't really fault him for.

I can blame him for wasting time in what seems to be a bit of a bait and switch, promising us Squadron 42 then going way out into left field with the rest of this word not allowed and spending people's money like water.

Devons rig