Sign in to follow this  
Quackarov55

P3D V4 and the Boeing 767

Hello,

I have been using "A Pilot's Life" and one of the airlines available to me at the start uses the 767.  This got me thinking, what is the best 767 for P3D V4?  I've heard about the Level-D one, but I've also heard that it isn't too good.  Let me know what y'all think down below.

Best,

Andrew

sig_ProudSupporter.jpgCPilot.jpg

well, right now there really isn't one that I'm aware of.  Level D is only available for 32 bit sims, and Captain sim hasn't ported theirs yet.  Same story with some of the "light" sims made by folks like CLS etc...  No 767 for p3dv4.

So I guess the best 767 is a model of the 767's replacement in the form of the QW 787

• Like 1

The Level D Boeing 767-300 is only for FSX and P3D V3 (i.e. it is a 32 bit aeroplane add-on. You can install it to P3D V4, you can even select it and load it up, but you'll find that when it does load up, the VC will be missing lots of gauges and controls because they are not compatible with a 64 Bit sim. You can crank up the engines and take off, but as far as controlling it beyond operating the flaps and gear and the main control surfaces, it is a no go, since the gauges for the most part are not there and even the ones which do show up are not clickable, so it's essentially unusable unless you have FSX or P3D V3.

Back in the day, it was one of the airliners to have, since it was pretty realistic when there were not that many realistic airliners around for FS9 and FSX, but these days there are very many airliners available which are just as good if not better than it, and which cost less than it does. Its external model shows its age too, so whilst people can and do get nostalgic about it, it's really had its day and unless it ever gets a new 3D model and a 64 Bit revamp, it's likely to remain a fond memory for many, but nothing more.

Unfortunately, back when the Level D 767 was still one of the 'ones to have' its developers also announced they were making a 757, and the only other one of those which was around was the Captain Sim one, which was okay, but a bit of an FPS hog and some of the systems simulation left a bit to be desired. As a result of this, PMDG had a gentleman's agreement with Level D that they would not make a 757, and by extension not do a 767 either. So if you're wondering why PMDG didn't make either of those birds for FSX/P3D when they seem to largely be tied to making Boeing stuff, you can thank Level D for that one and it's also one of the underlying reasons why Captain Sim took ages to get a new version of their 757 out the door, i.e. only very recently, and they're going to be gone from airliner fleets soon too.

As Shawn notes, the 767 is rapidly disappearing from the inventories of most airlines and being replaced by the 787 Dreamliner. In fact, when we saw a TUI 767 taxying in the other day at work, we were talking about this exact situation, i.e. TUI will start getting rid of theirs in 2020 and already have a large number of 787 Dreamliners in their fleet. with this in mind, you might want to consider getting/using the Quality Wings Boeing 787 Dreamliner instead, or failing that, if you wanted to use an Airbus alternative, you can either wait for Aerosoft to bring out their Airbus A330, which is likely to be a while, or you could go for the Black Box Simulations A330, which whilst not perfect, is nonetheless not bad.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

9 hours ago, Chock said:

As Shawn notes, the 767 is rapidly disappearing from the inventories of most airlines and being replaced by the 787 Dreamliner. In fact, when we saw a TUI 767 taxying in the other day at work, we were talking about this exact situation, i.e. TUI will start getting rid of theirs in 2020 and already have a large number of 787 Dreamliners in their fleet. with this in mind, you might want to consider getting/using the Quality Wings Boeing 787 Dreamliner instead, or failing that, if you wanted to use an Airbus alternative, you can either wait for Aerosoft to bring out their Airbus A330, which is likely to be a while, or you could go for the Black Box Simulations A330, which whilst not perfect, is nonetheless not bad.

That was a very interesting read, thanks Chock! I take it that those 767's are moving over to freighter ops? Just like there are a massive amount of 757F's around while no 787F is anywhere on the horizon to replace any of those older freighters. I have been considering getting the CS757 for P3Dv4 solely to fly freighter ops, and so I've been waiting for CS to release that model. Sounds like it'll be soon...

• Like 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

10 hours ago, Chock said:

The Level D Boeing 767-300 is only for FSX and P3D V3 (i.e. it is a 32 bit aeroplane add-on. You can install it to P3D V4, you can even select it and load it up, but you'll find that when it does load up, the VC will be missing lots of gauges and controls because they are not compatible with a 64 Bit sim. You can crank up the engines and take off, but as far as controlling it beyond operating the flaps and gear and the main control surfaces, it is a no go, since the gauges for the most part are not there and even the ones which do show up are not clickable, so it's essentially unusable unless you have FSX or P3D V3.

Back in the day, it was one of the airliners to have, since it was pretty realistic when there were not that many realistic airliners around for FS9 and FSX, but these days there are very many airliners available which are just as good if not better than it, and which cost less than it does. Its external model shows its age too, so whilst people can and do get nostalgic about it, it's really had its day and unless it ever gets a new 3D model and a 64 Bit revamp, it's likely to remain a fond memory for many, but nothing more.

Unless you are Delta who have no fleet plan replacement for all of their 767's. They'll likely just buy up old retiring 767 from other operator's. Oldest fleet going. Sucks

• Like 1

Eric 

The 767-300F (Freighter) model is still being produced by Boeing.   I think UPS and Fedex are the primary receivers of these new-build aircraft.

• Like 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

14 hours ago, Andrew Urbanczyk said:

Hello,

I have been using "A Pilot's Life" and one of the airlines available to me at the start uses the 767.  This got me thinking, what is the best 767 for P3D V4?  I've heard about the Level-D one, but I've also heard that it isn't too good.  Let me know what y'all think down below.

Best,

Andrew

I ran into a similar dilemma; no A330 that would be acceptable to me in P3Dv4. I had to reset the career twice, then was offered United that uses all kinds of aircraft that I do have.   

The good thing is, until there is a suitable 767 or A330 to chose from, A Pilots Life still lets you chose the aircraft to use.

If I had no choice or preferred not to reset careers , for a 767 or A330, I would just fly the PMDG 777. 

I'm not going to get the QW787 until see their fix list say all issues with LNAV/VANV FIXED and I have seen confirmation reports/videos. 

Blackbox is a perpetual alpha/beta test with no end in sight.🤢

Captain Sim takes us for fools by pricing according to model number.🤮

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 9:19 AM, B777ER said:

Unless you are Delta who have no fleet plan replacement for all of their 767's. They'll likely just buy up old retiring 767 from other operator's. Oldest fleet going. Sucks

Lol, AA is giving them a run for their money by hanging on to theirs while constantly stating their intentions to retire them. Can't wait to be able to fly JFK-ZRH in something that's not almost as old as I am. 

Still, for simming there are close to 700 767's still flying, and more cargo variants appearing so I hold out hope for Level D to beat the odds and release an updated version. 

Note, I also hold out hope to hit a lottery win - not sure which presents better odds...

• Like 1

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

Back in the day the Level-D 767 was the bomb - nothing came close to the complexity level it had (at the time).   I must have spent close 10 years flying that thing before making the hop over to Prepar3D and PMDG products.   Mine had a Hawaiian livery and I couldn't tell you how many hours were spent shuffling around the Hawaiian Island chain.

Mark

• Like 1

Myself and a work colleague where discussing this last night. 

To this day there isn't an addon that can do a managed descent like the lds 767. Even the pmdg birds and the fsl struggle at times to do one properly if its on a star with a shed loads of constraints. The lds however was amazing, if flew like a block of flats, but it was amazing 

Edited by tooting
  • Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

On 10/13/2018 at 12:48 AM, Chock said:

Unfortunately, back when the Level D 767 was still one of the 'ones to have' its developers also announced they were making a 757, and the only other one of those which was around was the Captain Sim one, which was okay, but a bit of an FPS hog and some of the systems simulation left a bit to be desired. As a result of this, PMDG had a gentleman's agreement with Level D that they would not make a 757, and by extension not do a 767 either. So if you're wondering why PMDG didn't make either of those birds for FSX/P3D when they seem to largely be tied to making Boeing stuff, you can thank Level D for that one and it's also one of the underlying reasons why Captain Sim took ages to get a new version of their 757 out the door, i.e. only very recently, and they're going to be gone from airliner fleets soon too.

Alan, I have to say that you are one of the very few people at Avsim, that write things in such a beautiful way. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 9:22 AM, Mace said:

The 767-300F (Freighter) model is still being produced by Boeing.   I think UPS and Fedex are the primary receivers of these new-build aircraft.

They're also building the tankers.

Actually I bought the 787 as an alternative to those variable distance routes (short & thicc or long & narrow routes) but to me it's clearly not the same. I hope that there will be a good rendition of it going out in the next two years. one thing i'd like as well is the "modern" option as some new freighters are equipped with those newer screens and some old planes are retrofitted, and the NAV panels being replaced with actual knobs for the screens.

8RLj8oi.jpg

All of it is rather fascinating indeed. I was unaware of the agreement between PMDG and Level D although at this point I would think all bets are off since it appears Level D will not be updating their 767 to P3D v4. The last time I checked Level D pretty much said their free update patch to v3 was it. 

I really do wish PMDG would create a 767 rather than upgrading the same ole aircraft. They just updated the 747 (again) along with a new -8i expansion and rumors are they started working on the new 737 Max and an updated J41.  While I own everything they’ve made (FSX and P3D) it sure would be nice to see their rendition of the 767. Especially since there isn’t one for the 64 bit simulator. 

Don’t get me wrong: they are my favorite developer and do great work (including paint kits). However, it’s an airplane I miss and it’s difficult to fly FSX just for that plane when P3D v4 is so much nicer. It would be great to fly the 767 again. 

Edited by pcpilot
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

If your really wanting a 767 you might consider picking up XP11 and trying the flightfactor 767 its a great bird lots of systems depth and awesome visuals and performance 

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.