Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

End It All

Many years ago there used to be a computer program called "End It All," whose purpose was to shutdown background CPU activity and memory usage, so that your flight simulator could dominate and run more efficiently and smoothly. It worked beautifully and made a real difference in flight sim performance. Back then, the stray background apps were called TSRs: Terminate and Stay Resident (in memory). My question: Is there any modern day equivalent of "End It All" -- that clears your computer's CPU and memory of all but essential activity before booting up your flight simulator?

David Mills

Huntington, WV

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Doesn't windows 10 now having a gaming mode that does something similar?

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

There is Alacrity PC, which I use with P3Dv4.3 every time I fly my va flights. 

Here is a link to a thread here on the forums:  

• Like 1

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

Alacrity was last updated in 2016.  I would be very concerned about running it on a current Windows 10 PC.

Tom

In the past IOBIT Game Booster was the best.

Now it has been improved :

https://www.razer.com/cortex/boost

I did not try it yet ...

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

11 hours ago, tjrush said:

Alacrity was last updated in 2016.  I would be very concerned about running it on a current Windows 10 PC.

I just installed it on  a Win10 Home 64 system and it seems to work fine.  Bit of work getting it installed on any system (although the instructions from the Sourceforge download work), and then the "Check for Updates" needs to be disabled from the main menu options.  It's still quite a good and useful app.

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 1

You really, really, really don't need one anymore (assuming you aren't still running your flight sim using Vista as your OS).

Seriously.  Open Task Manager in Windows and see how many "Background Processes" you have running.  If it is over about 50, you can use the default Windows Startup utility to stop a bunch of stuff from automatically starting every time you boot your computer.  Things like 3rd party programs that have NOTHING to do with your flight sim...or any other normal day-to-day activities you do on your computer.  You don't need a dozen different programs running automatic update checks all day long. You don't need MOST of the third party software "stuff" that get's installed as "automatic startup" on your computer.  Start those things only when you NEED to use them.  Windows today will handle it's OWN processes very well nowadays so they won't interfere with your flight sim session.  You don't need to be enabling/disabling Windows processes anymore to have a good flight simming experience.

If you insist on using a 3rd party utility, download CCleaner (free version is all you need).  It has a section that will display the Startup List of your computer.  Just use CCleaner to "disable" all the stuff you shouldn't be starting to begin with.  Plus you can use CCleaner for all the other tasks it provides to keep your computer running "clean".  If you haven't been doing routine computer maintenance in the past, don't be surprised when after running the CCleaner Analysis of your computer the first time, you discover you have over 50 Gigabytes of "junk" sitting on your main OS SSD drive.  😂

Edited by FalconAF
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Rick Ryan

Agreed with poster above 100% even PMDG has recommended NOT turning off services you're not familiar with since today's simulation and associated add-ons make use of many of windows services- and if you've disabled one that is actually needed you're wasting your time and their time troubleshooting an issue that you essentially caused in the first place.  

Also, today's multicore CPUs don't sweat to much with background apps taking a few cycles here and there.  The idea you need to shut off every single unused service is old school thinking (yes there was a day way back when where it may have added value) but if you want a good flight simulator experience, try to eliminate as much "junk" FS applications as you can, it's just not worth the trouble and the ever niggling question in the back of your head every time you CTD.  About a year and half ago I vowed to keep the sim as simple as possible, and even then its quite a bit - Prepar3D / PMDG / ORBX / ActiveSky / ChasePlane.   I've purchased a lot more than this but decided not to reinstall them on the last build and don't miss them at all.

Lastly, if you're convinced that your PC is so weak that you need this application, I suggest you simply go upgrade your PC.

Mark

Edited by mtrainer
  • Like 1

Been using this for almost 3 years. Works great. http://www.bluesprig.com/jetboost.html

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, FalconAF said:

You really, really, really don't need one anymore (assuming you aren't still running your flight sim using Vista as your OS).

Seriously.  Open Task Manager in Windows and see how many "Background Processes" you have running.  If it is over about 50, you can use the default Windows Startup utility to stop a bunch of stuff from automatically starting every time you boot your computer.  Things like 3rd party programs that have NOTHING to do with your flight sim...or any other normal day-to-day activities you do on your computer.  You don't need a dozen different programs running automatic update checks all day long. You don't need MOST of the third party software "stuff" that get's installed as "automatic startup" on your computer.  Start those things only when you NEED to use them.  Windows today will handle it's OWN processes very well nowadays so they won't interfere with your flight sim session.  You don't need to be enabling/disabling Windows processes anymore to have a good flight simming experience.

If you insist on using a 3rd party utility, download CCleaner (free version is all you need).  It has a section that will display the Startup List of your computer.  Just use CCleaner to "disable" all the stuff you shouldn't be starting to begin with.  Plus you can use CCleaner for all the other tasks it provides to keep your computer running "clean".  If you haven't been doing routine computer maintenance in the past, don't be surprised when after running the CCleaner Analysis of your computer the first time, you discover you have over 50 Gigabytes of "junk" sitting on your main OS SSD drive.  😂

I agree, I do not worry about cleaning my system, with the processes I have running I have cpu to spare for simming, and will sometimes even multitask into the web to post a screenshot or two.  Windows 10 has never been a problem for me, I haven't had one incident with it, one lockup, and the sims I run (one is a Roller Coaster sim, the other is Orbiter), they run very well.  Once or twice I even accidentally had Xplane11 and P3DV4 running at the same time, though performance then was not so good, lol...  My bad....

Hijackthis is a good program to scan what is starting on your system if you suspect it is being slowed. But be careful using it, there are needed processes that are posted as "malware" or "viruses" by instigators, just so they can watch you wreck your system or at least hobble it.  What I use it for is to scan for changes that I do not expect, then I deal with them if needed.

John

• Like 2

23 hours ago, tjrush said:

It works just fine on my Windows 10 desktop pc.  

However, if you are unsure, don't use it. The choice is yours.

• Like 1

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

On 10/13/2018 at 12:09 AM, tjrush said:

Tom, it works fine in W10, at least on my rig. The trick with any installation, of course, is to know which services and programs to stop and which to leave untouched. my rule of thumb is that if it is a MS function, I leave  it alone.

Sherm

• Like 1

A lot has changed since the days of either EndItAll or Alacrity PC.  I think Randazzo recently wrote a missive on the subject in the PMDG forums.  Bottom line is that you can easily do more harm than good by indiscriminately disabling services when running P3D.  In the days of single and dual-core processors, this sort of optimization made some sense...today with 4/6/8+ core CPUs and a lot of spare processor headroom spread across the cores, I don't find it worth the risk as the CPU cycles stolen by the occasional service are typically running on a processor that's not that busy anyway.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case