Sign in to follow this  
swiesma

Must have addons to start with

Hi guys, I am now fed up with the fiddling in P3D and want to additionally get XP.

So, what do you say are the must have addons for a noob?

What I want to do: Fly modern airliners. A350, 787, maybe 777, or even the 737 with Zibo.

What I need: Weather, Camera Addon (?), Ortho4XP for scenery. What would you recommend otherwise? I don't want to spend a fortune to start with, but I am willing to pay for a good wether addon and a good aircraft.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks a lot. Is the standard camera system ok? I tried the demo and have no idea about the cameras to be honest 🙂

The camera system is excellent in X-Plane. Look up the key bindings and you can pretty much just move anywhere you want. As for weather, you may want to just use default for a short time longer and wait to see what Active Sky releases, speculation is Q4 2018. 

If you're into older airliners, the FlyJSim 737 and 727 are top quality. Definitely get the Zibo 737 and 737-900 Ultimate. All freeware scenery from MisterX is a must. 

• Like 2

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

I really only get to fly in sim once or twice every couple of weeks. And all I ever fly is zibo and default c172. I installed a bunch of freeware but I have not spent a penny on addons which was my plan from when I adopted X-plane 11 as my only sim about 4 or 5 months ago. I find it runs great on my system. Unlike Prepar3D you really don't need any payware addons to really enjoy X-Plane 11.

Toliss A319, and if you like a good ww2 prop, the SkunkCrafts P51d.

For helis I would suggest the X-trident Bell 412 - the closest I can get to a DCS level helicopter of it's type in X-Plane 11, and, with the promised features for 11.30, maybe even better!

Use only default scenery, maybe a few payware airports you're willing to operate from, but honestly the default airports in XP11 contrarily to vanilla MSFS / P3D are zillions closer to their RW counterparts...

Also, stare at 11.30 when it get's released - I hope to 🙂

Above all, enjoy simplicity, and a lot less of investment ( at least for the time being … ) to get a really superb install for the whole World!

Edited by Von Target

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Any freeware option for the weather? 

Thanks for all the input 

Well after watching this video perhaps ORBX True Earth UK south fits in the "Must Have Addon" catagory. I think the guy who made the video is a beta tester for Laminar but if not he still seems to have the inside scope and he say's with plenty of confidence that 11.30 will be released next week! Having watched this video I am not sure if I will ever be returning to Prepar3D. It is a least great for the enthusiast to have to really advanced competitive flight sims. :

Conpleted my first flight today in the Zibo from EDDM to EDDH including an ILS approach.

All went well. The learning curve is there but can be handled. Thank you all again for the input. 

5 hours ago, swiesma said:

Conpleted my first flight today in the Zibo from EDDM to EDDH including an ILS approach.

All went well. The learning curve is there but can be handled. Thank you all again for the input. 

Look into X-Camera as an option....it is donation ware but has a demo from memory....you can set it to interact with VR or a Headtracking device...

Another good plugin is "HeadShake" which you can set for any effects....but be aware some aircraft come with their own so you have to stop either so you dont double up...you can save camera configuration per aircraft as well.

As a short conclusion: I have now a simulator for 30€ (keyforsteam) with some freeware that matches and surpasses P3D in terms of visuals.

Now I only need a better weather engine, cloud depiction.

The Zibo 737 is nice, but not on a PMDG level. So I hope for some better airliners soon. But the Zibo is more than ok for a freeware plane.

Next things would be a moving map and VATSIM integration.

• Like 1