Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

lorbysceneryexport.exe

Hi Oliver,

I hope this isn't a daft question but I have read the readme for both your program and Pete's MakeRunways.

I have run MakeRunways v4.8.6.4 and it has created its files in my P3D v3 main folder. Your program has created a LorbyScenery.cfg in the same folder and that contains my addon entries such as FSDT airports.

But my scenery.cfg in C:\Program Data\Lockheed Martin\Prepar 3D v3 folder has not been updated. Do I have to manually copy your file over and rename it? Isn't that what your lorbysceneryexport file does?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hello Ray,

you don't have to do anything else - that was all there is. Makerwys has called the scenery exporter, then read the resulting LorbyScenery.cfg to process it. Makerwys does not look at your scenery.cfg in this use case.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your answer but I'm still confused. I manually copied LorbyScenery.cfg to Program Data and renamed it as scenery.cfg. I then found out that was a bad move as all my FSDT airports now appeared twice in your Addon Organizer program. So I used a scenery.cfg editor to remove them.

P3D v3 (and 4) has a combination of entries in scenery.cfg plus addons stored separately. These are all read by P3D and everything works fine.

The problem comes when I need to update the database in Electronic Flight Bag. It needs to read a single scenery.cfg so I use Addon Organizer to create a temporary one, run the EFB database update and then revert to the original scenery.cfg again using Addon Organizer.

But I've been told by EFB author this procedure is unnecessary. But I can't see a way around what I have to do using Addon Organizer. If I don't create a temporary scenery.cfg the FSDT entries are excluded from EFB because it can only read a scenery.cfg and not the Addons folder.

Am I correct in thinking MakeRunways reads LorbyScenery.cfg to create its files rather than scenery.cfg? If so then I've misunderstood what I can use it for.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Am I correct in thinking MakeRunways reads LorbyScenery.cfg to create its files rather than scenery.cfg? If so then I've misunderstood what I can use it for.

Yes you are correct. You as an end user can't use the LorbySceneryExporter for anything. Its sole purpose is to support other software, like Makerunways, through a CLI function.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

Hi..i have always used Makerunways for Raas, PF3, etc. Under what circumstances would i also need to use the LorbySceneryExporter with Makerunways? All my addons use the old method of installation. Would if do any harm to use Lorby in this case? All a bit confusing for me..😊

Edited by Peter Webber

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

7 minutes ago, Peter Webber said:

Hi..i have always used Makerunways for Raas, PF3, etc. Under what circumstances would i also need to use the LorbySceneryExporter with Makerunways? All my addons use the old method of installation. Would if do any harm to use Lorby in this case? All a bit confusing for me..😊

You as the end user don't touch it at all.

It is part of the Makerunways distribution (and possibly a few other programs), and just has to be dropped into the sim folder with the MakeRwys.exe. Makerunways uses it automatically in P3D V3 or V4. 

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

17 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

You as the end user don't touch it at all.

It is part of the Makerunways distribution (and possibly a few other programs), and just has to be dropped into the sim folder with the MakeRwys.exe. Makerunways uses it automatically in P3D V3 or V4. 

Best regards

Thanks. So even if I don't use the add-on.xml method of scenery installation, it's still ok to include the Lorby tool with makerunways? Thanks for your dedication to our hobby.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

55 minutes ago, Peter Webber said:

Thanks. So even if I don't use the add-on.xml method of scenery installation, it's still ok to include the Lorby tool with makerunways? Thanks for your dedication to our hobby.

Hello Peter,

it doesn't really matter from my side. The tool will do its job regardless of the configuration you are running. In your case it just creates a copy of the scenery.cfg. But I have encountered a lot of payware sceneries lately that are all installing correctly outside of the sim, so you may not have a choice in the long run.

What I do not know is how much Makerwys depends on it being there, you would have to ask Pete about that.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Peter,

The way I see it is if you’re running 3rd party software that uses the output from MakeRunways that output will be incomplete without Oliver’s addon executable as none of the scenery listed in add-on folders will be scanned.

In my case it generates files for Radar Contact so is extremely valuable.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ok. Thanks for the replies.

Peter Webber