Sign in to follow this  

Autopiolet direct to with FMC?

Hey I did a LOT of research trying to figure this stuff out, started with the manual and I can't find much for a "direct to".  I watched an FMC tutorial on how to setup routs and what not and I used the planner thing, datalinked with the 777 with the pro flight x thing, and I got my rout, but I can't figure out how to have AP follow it... Its setup, but ap don't follow the rout. 😕 (From KEDW to KADW) and all the legs show up.

So could somebody please (In a simple manner, (cuz i aint smart)) tell/show me exactly what to do on how to make a direct to flight from one airport to another, the minimum stuff to make ap fly the rout DIRECTLY to an airport.

Thanks!

Also, anybody know of how I can install aux fuel tank on 777-300F like with configs or sometrhing, I know its not realistic and not an option, but hey.

~ Ag (Will) W. Si

First, make sure you have LNAV armed if you want to get it to follow the route. Then check to make sure you don't have VECTOR as a waypoint because if you do, that means that ATC would vector you to whatever the next waypoint is. Also, there's no 777-300F. If you can't find anything in the FMC equipment configuration for the fuel tanks, then it isn't possible.

• Like 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I hit LNAV and no light or anything comes on? I tried it before and after I had rout setup, nothing. I have to be doing something wrong..

I even tried VNAV, I also tried it when AP was on and working, and still nothing.

And also sorry its the 777FX. I was thinking of the 300ERX.

EDIT: Oh, now it works...

Well thanks for your help sir!

~Ag (Will) W. Si

Edited by 34486

Regarding "Direct To" this is not a specific function in the Boeing FMC however it is easily accomplished. Open the FMC LEGS page. If the waypoint you want to fly direct to is already in the route press the line select key (lsk) on the left, next to the waypoint. This will put the waypoint name in the CDU scratchpad. Now click on the top left lsk which represents the next waypoint to be flown to. This "upselects" the desired waypoint as the next waypoint in the route.

If the waypoint is not in the route, just enter it in the scratchpad using the CDU keypad and press the top left lsk as before.

Now just press EXECUTE and the modified route is activated.

• Like 1

ki9cAAb.jpg

Oh wow, thanks!

Thank you so much!

I feel like Boeing should have some direct to for short hops, but then there is probably a good reason for it to not be a thing I guess..

Anyways thank you so much!

1 hour ago, 34486 said:

I feel like Boeing should have some direct to for short hops, but then there is probably a good reason for it to not be a thing I guess..

Please fly the Tutorial.  You have a lot to learn and the Tutorial will get you started on the right foot.

The aircraft can fly direct to any airport, waypoint or navaid... not sure what you claim to be missing.  You do have to program the FMS because the aircraft is a complex machine and such things as engine performance for take off must be set up.

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, 34486 said:

but then there is probably a good reason for it to not be a thing I guess.

yes there is... it's called "reality"... You won't find a 777 do a VFR flight from LA to NY. 

concering the fuel tanks I'd strongly recommend not to edit the files that come with the airplane... you'd make it unflyable at most.

IF you really want to make flights that are longer than the max range of the airplane then refuel in the air.. that's always possible in the CDU Fuel Options. I've done that once, just for fun.. I took off in Singapur and just headed east until I came back to Singapur 😄 boring but hey, I did it xD

Edited by Ephedrin

14 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

yes there is... it's called "reality"... You won't find a 777 do a VFR flight from LA to NY. 

concering the fuel tanks I'd strongly recommend not to edit the files that come with the airplane... you'd make it unflyable at most.

IF you really want to make flights that are longer than the max range of the airplane then refuel in the air.. that's always possible in the CDU Fuel Options. I've done that once, just for fun.. I took off in Singapur and just headed east until I came back to Singapur 😄 boring but hey, I did it xD

To be fair, a long haul flight may well get a direct to waypoint ATC routing in flight. Also the same FMC logic applies in the short haul 737.

It’s just a question of ergonomics. The Boeing FMC doesn’t need a direct to function because upselecting a waypoint for does the same thing. The Airbus FMGC doesn’t work the quite same way so a “Direct To” function is very useful.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Yep... but not a KLAX-KJFK 😄

tell/show me exactly what to do on how to make a direct to flight from one airport to another, the minimum stuff to make ap fly the rout DIRECTLY to an airport.„

Edited by Ephedrin
Quote added

2 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

Yep... but not a KLAX-KJFK 😄

Maybe not 😉 though I recall Kyle saying direct routes were quite common in the USA. Definitely not in Europe. 

Anyway, a direct route is very easy to enter in the Boeing FMC. Just enter departure and destination, the arrival runway, then ACTIVATE and EXECUTE the route. 

ki9cAAb.jpg

6 hours ago, kevinh said:

Maybe not 😉 though I recall Kyle saying direct routes were quite common in the USA. Definitely not in Europe. 

Anyway, a direct route is very easy to enter in the Boeing FMC. Just enter departure and destination, the arrival runway, then ACTIVATE and EXECUTE the route. 

Depends on the airport, area, and aircraft type, but it is pretty common to get shortcuts. We were in the northern part of VA the other day and received a direct to about the middle part of TN.

Kyle Rodgers

9 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

We were in the northern part of VA the other day and received a direct to about the middle part of TN.

Or departing KIAH Houston you might get a direct ELP El Paso, which is half way to LAX.  I notice that a lot of freighters departing KSDF in the middle of the night appear to have something in upstate NY as their first enroute waypoint.  I get the sense that air traffic systems are evolving away from the old Jet VOR-based airways.  Not in all cases, you still have that mess between DCA and BOS.

Dan Downs KCRP

13 minutes ago, downscc said:

Or departing KIAH Houston you might get a direct ELP El Paso, which is half way to LAX.  I notice that a lot of freighters departing KSDF in the middle of the night appear to have something in upstate NY as their first enroute waypoint.  I get the sense that air traffic systems are evolving away from the old Jet VOR-based airways.  Not in all cases, you still have that mess between DCA and BOS.

Yeah, when transiting through areas with crazy metroplexes, things are bound to get more structured. Between the DC area and NY, there isn't much variance.

Kyle Rodgers

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:17 AM, 34486 said:

I feel like Boeing should have some direct to for short hops,.....

The OP joined the forums 10 days ago and had only 6 total posts when making the original post here.  Like Dan implied, he is probably inexperienced with real-world flying, as I'm honestly not sure if his quote above means he thinks a Boeing FMC doesn't have a Direct To function at all (not true), or maybe he thinks Boeing should be the one to determine how one of their aircraft can decide what route to fly from point A to point B without having to ask ATC permission first (which isn't how it works either).

Not a slam in any way against the OP, but I agree with Dan he needs to learn the PMDG aircraft using the tutorials and user manuals that came with it.  And he probably also needs to become more familiar with realistic flight planning and how getting from point A to point B in a real airplane really works.

Or....he can go VFR direct from LAX to JFK in the sim if he really wants to.  It is a simulator after all.  I've flown my PMDG 747 under the Golden Gate bridge numerous times already (please don't tell the FAA.  That Radar Contact FSDO guy is already PO'd at me for refusing to due go-arounds because of stupid AI...)  😁

Rick Ryan

On 10/15/2018 at 4:46 AM, kevinh said:

To be fair, a long haul flight may well get a direct to waypoint ATC routing in flight. Also the same FMC logic applies in the short haul 737.

It’s just a question of ergonomics. The Boeing FMC doesn’t need a direct to function because upselecting a waypoint for does the same thing. The Airbus FMGC doesn’t work the quite same way so a “Direct To” function is very useful.

The old boxes used to have a Direct Intercept button. Then someone figured out it’s way better to line select stuff and that button went away. My airline has a very....”varied” fleet so it’s always fun flying a Pegasus box, then getting into a legacy airplane and wondering for a few minutes why the darn thing won’t go direct when you line select a fix up to the top. 😂

Edited by swood721