Sign in to follow this  
clocki

Inspector needed?

Hey mates,

I'm running P3D since around the early V3 and always used the Nvidia inspector together. The settings there are collected from some sites. But I'm wondering if it's in v4 still needed or if its maybe destroying something like frames and such things.
Also I'm feeling that the sim currently sometimes looks a bit "oversharpened" on edged and in the distance. Its not blurry like we had in the good old FSX and FS9 times.

Can someone provide me some help or a guide what is better? Here are my specs:
Windows 7
P3D v4.3
Intel i5 4670K with 4,2Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 980TI

PS: Upgrading my sim is not planned as I do not have the time to configure my complete PC and install everything from the scratch. Sadly this is needed with new hardware 😞

Greetings Eddi :smile:

Some will say Inspector is needed, some will say it isn't. I say it isn't. 😉 I used to use it in the past for better AA but P3D v4 offers great AA from within the sim (I use 4xSSAA) so I don't need Inspector anymore.

BTW Nice to see someone who is wanting blurries for a change... 😎😋

Edited by Guest

I agree. The only thing NVI will give is an insane amount of AA. But, as J van E says, you really don't need to do even that. I'd forget about NVI..........Doug

Edited by W2DR
edditted bacuase i kant spel

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

2 hours ago, J van E said:

Some will say Inspector is needed, some will say it isn't. I say it isn't. 😉 I used to use it in the past for better AA but P3D v4 offers great AA from within the sim (I use 4xSSAA) so I don't need Inspector anymore.

BTW Nice to see someone who is wanting blurries for a change... 😎😋

There was a thread (could not find the link unfortunately) which said setting SGSSx4 in NVI with MSAAx4 in-game gives better visual/performance than SSAAx4. 

Is this no longer relevant? With a 1080Ti I find significant fps drop in cloudy conditions.

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

For the record.....how does 4x SSAA in P3D v4 compare to 4x SGSS AA using Nvidia Inspector? Nothing else comes close to the latter for me in P3D v3.4.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

What everybody never mentions in these threads is that your Screen Size and Type, and Screen Resolution plays a dramatic role in the amount of AA you "need" in P3D or nVidia Inspector.

I don't use nVidia Inspector anymore.  No need to because of the "screen" and "screen resolution" I use.

I run P3Dv4 on my 65" Curved Samsung 4K UHD TV using the P3Dv4 resolution setting of 4096 x 2160 with one GTX1080 (not even a 1080ti) with an HDMI3 cable from the GPU to the TV.  In P3D, FXAA is set to "Off", AA is set to (only!) 8MSAA, and Texture Filtering is set to Anisotropic 16x.  Even on the 65" display, the 4K resolution setting negates any need for ANY SSAA-level settings in P3D (or SGSS settings in nVidia Inspector), while still allowing a P3D 16x Anisotropic setting (for things like photoreal coverage areas) without over-taxing any of my hardware (confirmed by watching my CPU and GPU percentages using Task Manager while running P3D).  There are no "blurries" or "jaggies" requiring increased AA settings, for either the outside scenery or the gauges on cockpit displays, etc. 

And all this works while running P3Dv4 with the Texture Resolution set to 4096 x 4096, Dynamic Lighting enabled, using a PMDG aircraft, and having REX SkyForce, ActiveSky for P3D (both using 4096 textures), and a plethora of scenery addons set at their highest resolutions (ORBX, numerous complex addon airports, AI addons, etc).

Recommendations for things like nVidia settings can not realistically be made UNTIL the Screen Size, Screen Type (4k or not?), and the in-sim Screen Resolution settings are determined...along with the available hardware used.  There simply is not a "One Size Fits All" answer that exists.

Edited by FalconAF
  • Like 2

Rick Ryan

5 hours ago, FalconAF said:

What everybody never mentions in these threads is that your Screen Size and Type, and Screen Resolution plays a dramatic role in the amount of AA you "need" in P3D or nVidia Inspector.

Don't forget viewing distance... 😉

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776