Sign in to follow this  
Ninjaboy12377

FSX CTD windows 10 64bit

I have been having this problem whenever i am on approach to an airport after a longer flight, the simulator crashes with no errors.

according to event log this is what it said after the crash

The program fsx.exe version 10.0.61637.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 3220
 Start Time: 01d464023e25d78c
 Termination Time: 4294967295
 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
 Report Id: ad56bd48-acd1-484e-b860-83eac1048e99
 Faulting package full name: 

4 hours ago, Ninjaboy12377 said:

whenever i am on approach to an airport after a longer flight, the simulator crashes with no errors.

Sounds like a VAS issue.  A search for Virtual Address Space on the forums should turn up plenty of information for you.  Only cure however, is to use a 64bit Sim (P3D or X-Plane)

• Like 1

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Dogtrack is correct.  The AVSIM CTD Guide, page 36 has detailed information there too.  Best you monitor VAS as suggested by the Guide.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

C:\Program Files (x86) is not a good file path because of the windows restrictions in this path.
So if you plan a new installation, you should install your FSX next time anywhere else. For example under C:\fsx or C:\MyPrograms\FS or C:\MSFS.

I fully second Jim: if you keep an eye on your VAS (Virtual Adress Space) it's not necessary to change to a 64bit simulator. Just save your FSX-flight before you get overflow and load it again. This should help.

Back in the day when I ran FSX/FSX:SE, there were several things we did to avoid Out of Memory issues.

1. Run FSX:SE instead of FSX.  FSX:SE is updated to avoid dual processing of Autogen, which can reduce the amount of memory that is used.

2. Only enable two addon airports at a time, thus reducing the memory load of some PhotoReal textures (which are loaded globally regardless if you fly within 18nm of an airport) as well as loading non-photo real textures should you fly within 18nm of an airport.  The airports can be installed, and you just chose which are Active.  A great tool that allows you to manage this before starting FSX is SceneryConfigEditor (freeware).

3. Use 2048 or lower texture resolution. Avoid 4096 resolution.

3. Limit the number of view changes will also help, although not as much as the above.

I used the above practices and it allowed me to avoid OOMs on every flight accept flying into London Heathrow.

4. As said above, if you monitor your VAS and find that you're still getting up to towards 3.5GB, then save your flight and reload it.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Of all the fixes I've seen online, there's only one place (and I can't remember where I originally found it for the life of me as it was a few years ago when I found it) that had a fix for this very issue. Prior to this fix, FSX would crash to the desktop randomly, and it seemed to do it mostly when I was on approach...especially if I was around a lot of online air traffic. I even quit using FSX altogether and flew FS9 for awhile before I started missing FSX and decided to give it another go. 

At the time, I too thought it was an OOM issue. I ended up maxing out my system memory to 8GB (which is well more than FSX can access), had a 1GB video card and HIGHMEMFIX=1 in the fsx.cfg file, but to no avail.

I found and applied this fix in 2014, and to this day I have not had one single crash to desktop...even on Windows 10.

This is going to be a semi long read so bear with me. But hopefully this shall fix all of your CTD woes with FSX.

Before we dive into the fix, let's be sure you have the Vista version of UIAutomationCore.dll installed in your FSX folder. If you do not have this file already, I am hosting it on my Dropbox account here -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6up5ra3xpmtpttc/UIAutomationCore.dll?dl=0

Click the link, then click "Download" and select your FSX root directory as the save location.

Now that that is out of the way, let's dive into the nitty gritty. After realizing that it couldn't be an OOM issue, I started to suspect a Windows security issue. As it turns out I was right.

Back when FSX was coded, Windows XP was the latest Windows version. It does not have the additional security layers featured in Windows 7 and up, such as User Account Control and extended folder permissions. This prevents FSX from accessing its own files due to additional permissions layers that are in place that were not in place in Windows XP.

To get around this, we will need to grant your Windows user account top level permissions to the entire FSX directory. This will allow FSX full control of its own files for each user listed as a "full control" user to that directory.

Even if you install FSX in a location other than Program Files (x86), you will need to perform the following steps. The good news is that you can now install FSX in the default Program Files (x86) directory and it should work perfectly once your account has been granted top level permissions to the game directory.

First thing's first...go to Control Panel, type User Account Control in the search bar. Then click on the "Change User Account Control Settings" link that appears. Drag the slider bar to "Never Notify", then click "OK". It will ask you if you want to make this change. Click "Yes".

So now we have User Account Control disabled. Now we can proceed to grant your user account top level permissions to the FSX root directory (apparently being an "admin" account just isn't enough).

1) Navigate to one directory above your root FSX directory (default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\). You should see the Flight Simulator X folder.

2) Right click the root game directory, then select "Properties".

3) Click on the "Security" tab.

4) Under "Group or user names", make sure your user account is in the list. If it is not, click "Edit", then click "Add". Add your user account by typing your Windows user name in the bottom most field.

5) Once your user account populates in the list on the Security tab, highlight your user, then check the box which says "Full Control".

6) Click "Apply". Windows will start setting top level permissions on the game root directory as well as everything in the game directory.

7) Once done, click "OK". FSX now has top level permissions under your user account.

As I stated earlier, not one online fix worked for me until I found this one. It's not published anywhere else that I know of and it's worked for me for quite a few years. Hopefully this should end your CTD woes.

Edited by sindes1
  • Upvote 1

These "fixes" are in the AVSIM CTD Guide.  Some work for many, some do not work at all.  Glad you are having no problems though!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10