Sign in to follow this  
Dave73

New to p3dv4 and wondering something...

Hey all...new to p3dv4 and was wondering if there is a way or a addon maybe that will allow everything to start in one click?

Like instead of starting weather then other addons and then p3dv4,ect.... Is there a way to just set everything up how you want it and that whenever you wanna fly one click and your off...

Thanks....Good Day!!!

Yes...no...and maybe.  😀

There are utility programs you can use that will allow you to start a series of simulator addons and other utilities in a sequence using a "one-click" method.  But depending on the type of flying you want to do at the time...and what you are loading...it may actually cause you more grief than it is worth.

If I was just going to be doing a "local area" flight with no flight plan taking me to a distant airport, then it would normally work.  

Sometimes not so much if I'm doing a more "complicated" flight with a complex aircraft, flightplan, and a series of other addons and utilities.  For instance...

This is the MANUAL order of how I start my P3D sessions using the "addons" I use (and why)...IF I am making a long(er) cross-country flight with a PMDG aircraft using a flight plan.  I won't use a "one-click" loader for this:

1.  I go to the online SimBrief site to create the flight plan.  Then I save it in a PDF format to use (or I have to keep my web browser open to see it after I start P3D).  After creating the PDF, I close my web browser.

2.  Open the PDF flightplan file and minimize it to my taskbar.

3.  Start LittleNavMap, load the saved flightplan to it, then minimize to taskbar.

4.  Open Navigraph Charts, review the flight plan with the charts to identify any issues, then minimize it to the taskbar.

5.  Open REX SkyForce, then minimize it to taskbar.

6.  Open ActiveSky for P3D, then load the flightplan, review it in ActiveSky, then minimize it to taskbar.  (NOTE:  I only use SkyForce for some of the textures.  I use ActiveSky for the weather engine and textures I don't use from SkyForce).

7.  Open Radar Contact v4.2, load the flight plan, make any needed changes in the GUI for the flight, then minimize it to the taskbar.  (NOTE:  I don't START Radar Contact until well after P3D has finished loading and I am ready to get the Radar Contact Weather Briefing and Clearance for the flight.  Radar Contact is not "running" already while P3D...or anything else...is still loading).

8.  Open FS RealTime, then minimize it to the taskbar.  Note I have FS RealTime set to NOT automatically start updates as soon as P3D loads.  I also wait to start it manually like Radar Contact above.  See below for why.

9.  (Optional depending on my starting/destination airports):  Start the LorbySI Remove Ai Sleepers program (so I won't get drowned in AI airplanes at someplace like London Heathrow as soon as P3D starts).

10.  THEN I manually start P3D.

Why not do all of the above using a "one-click utility" method?

Because if I DID use that method, none of the addons that require I load a flightplan for the flight (LittleNavMap, ActiveSky, and Radar Contact) would get the flight plan loaded during the "one-click" process (I would have to manually load all of those flightplans anyhow AFTER I started the sim).  And using a "one-click" method would cause many of the addons to start "doing stuff" as soon as P3D started...BEFORE my PMDG aircraft completed it's initial loading sequence (which takes 15 - 20 seconds depending on which PMDG aircraft I am using).  I want the FIRST thing to happen when I start my P3D to be that P3D allows time for a full initialization of the PMDG aircraft, without anything ELSE happening in the sim (just like PMDG recommends...and that is why in #8 above I don't let FS RealTime start an automatic total reloading of the scenery, etc, to change the time in the sim until AFTER the PMDG aircraft is fully initialized.  THEN I will MANUALLY "connect" FS RealTime and let it do it's thing).  And if I can load the flightplans into all the addons that need them BEFORE starting P3d, review them before P3D starts, and amend anything needed then, I don't have to have my flying session already running to do all that after P3D loads.

After my PMDG aircraft is fully initialized, then after FS RealTime reloads the scenery (if it does to change the time to where you are at in the sim world), THEN I can start the flight knowing that nothing has interfered with anything else loading...something that can EASILY happen if you are using a "one-click" loading process for multiple complex addons.  There are simply certain combinations of addons that should not be "one-click" loaded using the utilities that we are talking about.  

Forums are loaded with "problem posts" about the flight sim or something like an addon aircraft not loading properly.  The above is one of the many ways that can happen. 

Bottom line:  The "one click loading utilities" will work a lot of times.  But they can also bite you in the butt if you aren't careful using them.  🤣

Edited by FalconAF
  • Like 1

Rick Ryan

I was just thinking about this "add-on complexity" issue today ... I must admit, the complexity of add-ons, their maintenance, quirks, and special start sequences can be at times intimidating even for the experienced user. 

There are products that try to make life easier for those with many add-ons, Add-It Pro, SimStarter, but sadly nothing can accomplish "everything" that needs to be done as the add-ons are increasingly more and more complex.

Someone/team of developers could probably tackle this complexity with a single product that could do it all ... timing delays, checking SimConnect for instantiation so it would know when to do X, Y, and Z tasks and in which order.  It's certainly NOT an impossible challenge, the real question would be time and money investment and the big "maybe" would be getting "Some" (as little as possible) help from the developers who created the products.

But there are still somethings that might be unobtainable, like trying to figure out placement of GSX vehicles so they make sense at each and every airport gate/parking spot and don't run over other simobjects that are part of the airport package, etc. etc.  The scope of a project like this would be huge and would need regular updates like 24/7 to keep up with all the add-on products.

It's an interesting problem with a market, but I feel it would cost more to produce/maintain than could be recovered in revenue ... it would need to be subscription based because the add-on market doesn't stop changing so updates would be constant and require developer time.  I'm not sure how well the Sim user base would react to "subscription" based add-on for add-ons ... this is probably why no one has really attempted to take on such a large project scope.

It's needed, and a good idea, but the simmer user base would need to grow and it would require some participation from a wide range of developers.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks guys for your input ...i see the point on why a startup program wouldnt be best... Just always seems that no matter how hard i try im always forgetting somthing.

Always seem as soon as im in my flight i then forget to start this or inject that...ect.,ect.,ect.

Ohhh well, noone ever said flying is easy...lol

Thanks..good day!!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dave73 said:

Just always seems that no matter how hard i try im always forgetting somthing.

Yes, I believe that is fairly common ... I know I do and the older I get the worse it gets 😉

I often forget to setup the alternate runway and/or airport on the 2nd FMC - heck I don't even know if this is done real world, just something I like to do ... when I remember.  Of course there are the checklist to help me remember ... but heck, sometimes I just don't have real world time to do a real world checklists ... especially when it has taken the better part of 1.5 days just to make sure I've got everything setup:

• GSX setup (Parking space and vehicle positions) and updates
  • flight planning (check for real world TFRs)
  • weather check 
  • makerunways
  • run fsAerodata to get updated Navaids, runway designators (per cycle)
  • run the appropriate aircraft fuel load/passenger loading weight distribution control panels 
  • ENVTEX season textures
  • goflight interface tool configurations
  • run Navigraph and/or NavDataPro to get correct nav cycles installed to all aircraft
  • orbx vector AEC and check for no elevation issues
  • run 3rd party updates for depart/arrival airports
  • setup chase plane static camera positions at each airport dept/dest
  • setup VC camera for each aircraft
  • check for Accufeel compatibility (enable/disable as needed)
  • load VA interface for FMC on my iPads
  • run LittleNavMap connector for monitoring flight
  • make sure I have the correct (or best fit) livery for aircraft and my flight plan
  • run OldProp to make sure I have effects PrecipitFX or immersions setup for the aircraft
  • setup ProATCX (if I decide to use it)
  • check UTLive traffic density (turn it up for more remote areas, turn it down for dense areas)
  •  load/import saved controller configurations based on the aircraft I'm using

The good news is that I really don't "HAVE" to do any of this (self inflicted) ... I can just jump in and fly.

Cheers, Rob.

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Yes, I believe that is fairly common ... I know I do and the older I get the worse it gets 😉

I often forget to setup the alternate runway and/or airport on the 2nd FMC - heck I don't even know if this is done real world, just something I like to do ... when I remember.  Of course there are the checklist to help me remember ... but heck, sometimes I just don't have real world time to do a real world checklists ... especially when it has taken the better part of 1.5 days just to make sure I've got everything setup:

• GSX setup (Parking space and vehicle positions) and updates
  • flight planning (check for real world TFRs)
  • weather check 
  • makerunways
  • run fsAerodata to get updated Navaids, runway designators (per cycle)
  • run the appropriate aircraft fuel load/passenger loading weight distribution control panels 
  • ENVTEX season textures
  • goflight interface tool configurations
  • run Navigraph and/or NavDataPro to get correct nav cycles installed to all aircraft
  • orbx vector AEC and check for no elevation issues
  • run 3rd party updates for depart/arrival airports
  • setup chase plane static camera positions at each airport dept/dest
  • setup VC camera for each aircraft
  • check for Accufeel compatibility (enable/disable as needed)
  • load VA interface for FMC on my iPads
  • run LittleNavMap connector for monitoring flight
  • make sure I have the correct (or best fit) livery for aircraft and my flight plan
  • run OldProp to make sure I have effects PrecipitFX or immersions setup for the aircraft
  • setup ProATCX (if I decide to use it)
  • check UTLive traffic density (turn it up for more remote areas, turn it down for dense areas)
  •  load/import saved controller configurations based on the aircraft I'm using

The good news is that I really don't "HAVE" to do any of this (self inflicted) ... I can just jump in and fly.

Cheers, Rob.

Amen Rob 😎

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

4 hours ago, Dave73 said:

Just always seems that no matter how hard i try im always forgetting somthing.

LOL, yes, I can relate to that. It's not so bad if I fly a regularly over a short period of time, but over the hot summer I did very little simming and when I came back to flying, I was forgetting all sorts of stuff! Thank goodness I had my FS2Crew on board the NGX 😄But like the other guys, I have a plethora of checks and things to undergo prior to actually getting in the skies. But then again, I often think it's bringing together all the different aspects of the sim into a successful flight makes the simming all that much more satisfying. To be honest, I don't think I would want a one click to start everything, but I can appreciate why some would. 

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Just as we have a checklist before every flight (in the tubeliners, at least) why not make a personalised checklist for every simming session? That way you'll be sure to never forget anything.

**yup, just like Rob suggested

Edited by speedyTC

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Thank goodness I fly only GA into regional or smaller airports.  I think I'm too old to fly sophisticated tubeliners...my wife would probably find me dead leaned over my keyboard with some flashing cursor FMC input error.

• Like 1

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

It's certainly difficult to remember everything you have to do if you choose to fly an airliner with all the stuff like almost real flight planning, ATC, real weather and correct choosing of takeoff and landing runways, GSX for the animations around the aircraft, correct setting of the aircraft weights, using your aircraft addon interface (if existent) to add fuel and passenger load, etc., etc., and I don't know really if it will be an application capable of doing it all.

I think it's better you have and take your time in setting everything on the way you like, prepare your flights and enjoy your time. If you're short of time, then fly a simple aircraft with no flight planning and no ATC if you wish, and then you're done.

For starting P3D I use a batch file I've made for myself which handles the start of every addon I need for complex flights, so this way I want to avoid starting all of them in sequence one by one.

I have to mention also that having addons that "do it all" will add more to the already existing high complexity of the setups and will potentially introduce another step of potential malfunction or failure to the sim.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I would also suggest Simstarter NG. Although its payware (its predecessor is freeware but no longer maintained), its one of the very few addons where i feel that every cent I spent is absolutely justified. As you were specifically asking about launch procedures, Simstarter has it all covered. 

You can setup a strict launch order per profile, even putting pauses in between or tell sim starter to wait "until sim is ready" before it continues the launch procedure. You can add file and folder copy jobs (super mighty) and set core affinity per app and if the app should be closed/killed after you terminate the sim. It even has a remote launch capability (albeit a bit limited currently) that allows it to auto-launch apps on a remote PC when you start your sim. 

I fly mainly FSL A320 and PMDG 777/747, so i have two profiles setup for this (medium and heavy). Here's what happens when i launch P3D with simstarter, using the heavy profile:

1. Using a copy command it sets the GSX settings to PAX setting "very dense" (else it would take ages to load a 400 pax plane) and Follow-Me-Car speed is reduced to 15 knots

2. PFPX's PAX weights are set to PMDG numbers using a batch file that changes the respective registry keys. Once thats done it launches PFPX

3. As i mainly fly from major hubs using the 777 or 747, it will reduce my UTL traffic settings to 50% (settings file copy job)

4. It excludes FSL spotlights from the addon XML as i dont use it with PMDG birds (to reduce system load and prevent issues with addons i dont even use)

5. P3D will be launched

any further steps will be performed once the sim is ready (by setting the respective flag)

6. Launch Aivlasoft EFB server

7. Launch ActiveSky, ProATC-X (or PF3) and EFB client on remote PC

8. Launch "Where are my aircraft (used to reserve gates for departure and arrival)

9. Launch remoteCDU server

When launching the "medium" profile (A320), following points will be different

1. GSX set to "dense" and FollowMe-Car speed to 18 knots

2. PFPX weights set to numbers used by FSL

3. UTL traffic density increased to 70% as i usually fly from smaller aiports with the A320

4. FSL Spotlights will be launched as its required for FSL Airbus

9. remoteCDU wont be launched as i dont need it for the FSL Airbus

Especially the copy file/folder function is something i dont want to miss anymore. Combined with batch files this is a very mighty feature and a life saver for all those repetitive tasks you tend to forget. The only thing i'm missing is that Simstarter cant change code in text/ini files, so you have to keep copies of ini files with specific settings and overwrite the original file using a copy job

Edited by Woozie
  • Upvote 1

Good discussion - thanks for the post and comments.

The main reason I spend less time simming than I'd like is due to this self-imposed complexity which grows over time in an effort to get more and more realistic.

My work flow goes like this:

• Decide if I'm going to fly in VR or not (if I want to take screenshots, or if I plan on being AFK on autopilot for a while, I'll avoid VR) and possibly change settings as appropriate.
  • I almost always fly in USA, so I'll hop on Wundermap to check for some interesting weather - usually something VFR-ish with something interesting along the way, usually deciding between New England or Southern California.
  • Then I'll decide if I want to use AirHauler2 and actually fly a mission or just fly for fun.
  • Usually I'll use an online flight planner if I'm flying a route to create and save a flight plan.
  • Then I'll fire up Active Sky for P3D, ASCA, and load the flight plan I created.
  • If I'm flying a plane with a configurator, run that and set up options.
  • Then I'll start FlyInside if I'm flying VR, or just P3D if not.
  • Set date/time to current or as desired, clear weather.
  • Load into a default aircraft in a simple airport (Cub at 3B3 is my go to).
  • Then I'll change aircraft and allow it to fully load.
  • Then I'll load my flight plan and move to the correct departure and gate/parking.
  • Wait for ActiveSky to do it's thing.
  • I usually use VoxATC, so I'll enable that and let voices load and for it to create its AI.
  • If I'm flying an A2A aircraft, I then argue with myself whether I should just hit Ctrl-E or actually do a sim-walkaround and use the real startup procedure.  Usually I'm just dying to get in the air by this time and I forego that stuff and hit Ctrl-E.

All told, it probably takes me 15-30min just to get to this point.  I'd love to have a simpler way to get started without sacrificing any of these components...

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Hi Folks,

I used to chuckle when people mentioned they needed programs to help them start the sim - then I purchased "SimStarter NG" - and I chuckle no more... What an absolute game changer for me...

Almost every P3D and AS setting available to be changed for each profile...

• I have profiles for running Garmin Pilot EFB
  • I have profiles for running FltPlan GO EFB
  • I have profiles for taking pictures
  • I have profiles for VFR
  • I have profiles for IFR
  • I have profiles for flying at night
  • I have profiles for pushing tin
  • I have profiles for bug smashers
  • I have profiles for testing

Once a profile is built - I don't do anything else...

• It kills all the programs I don't want running
  • It Starts my TrackIR
  • It Starts my Voice Attack
  • It Starts ChasePlane
  • It Starts Ultimate Traffic
  • It Starts ASP4
  • It Starts ASCA
  • It Starts Radar Contact
  • It Starts the connection to my FlightPln GO EFB IOS App
  • It Starts XMAPSY for connection to my Garmin Pilot EFB IOS App
  • And it starts P3D
  • After stopping P3D it will then start programs I want running again

Honestly - I don't know how I ever lived without it - superb piece of kit - can't recommend it enough...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Like 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

10 hours ago, Dave73 said:

Thanks guys for your input ...i see the point on why a startup program wouldnt be best... Just always seems that no matter how hard i try im always forgetting somthing.

Always seem as soon as im in my flight i then forget to start this or inject that...ect.,ect.,ect.

Ohhh well, noone ever said flying is easy...lol

Thanks..good day!!!

I use SimStarter and it works really well.  It is also a scenery manager and many other things.

Aerosoft SimStarter

You can set up profiles with different aircraft and modify them as you need.  

Actually, I've just started using it for the last couple of weeks and I really like it.

Bob