Sign in to follow this  
Quackarov55

Helicopters

Hello,

I am a P3D player, but I own a copy of X-Plane 11 and want to get into Helos.  I asked in the P3D forums and they told me to come to the blue team.  What sort of helicopters do you guys recommend?  I really dont use X-Plane a lot so if you have any essential addons I should get on top of that it would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Andrew

sig_ProudSupporter.jpgCPilot.jpg

And there's also the Bell 412 by X-Trident, payware, and a few excellent freeware offers too.

Check the Mi-2 at the .org - it was recently updated to XP11, and it's very good !

And, btw, welcome to the admirable world of rotary wing in X-Plane, and look fwd into the 11.30 update where their flight dynamics will

get even further fine tunning!

Edited by Von Target
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Dreamfoil's 407 is excellent. I’m enjoying the Cabri G2. And vSkyLabs has a wonderful autogyro called the Cricket. Much better than anything in FSX/P3D. 

• Like 1

What are your helicopter piloting skills like?

I would say the Dreamfoil 407 is the most difficult, the Bell 412 the middle one and the Cabri g2 the easiest of the payware ones.

• Like 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Whatever Addon you get - make sure you have at least a decent joystick. For the longest time I had a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and thought it was basically impossible to fly helicopters halfway decent with just a joystick. Movement was always very jerky and unprecise. Last week I bought a VKBSim Gladiator and while I think in terms of ergonomics the Logitech felt better in terms of precision there is absolutely no contest. While I still would love rudder pedals and something this, I was very surprised to see how smooth and precise helicopter flying became even with just a regular joystick.

• Like 1