Sign in to follow this  
Legotim13

FSX default weather engine

hi all, Iv'e noticed that the real world weather in the fsx default weather engine is different than the actual real world weather. is this just fsx being stupid or is this some kind of bug? does anyone else has this problem?

Tim

Hi Tim,

The FSX weather engine was never particularly accurate and I was amazed by the difference when I switched to a payware weather addon a few years ago (Rex Essentials + Overdrive). This didn’t just improve the accuracy of the weather conditions but the addon textures massively improved the sense of immersion when flying. In fact having used default FSX weather for many years, I regretted that I hadn’t made the change earlier! I currently use the Active Sky 16, ASCA and Envtex combination and love it but there are other options available.

Bill

Edited by scianoir

MicroSoft used to have a contract with Jeppesen for downloading their real world weather data.  That contract expired several years ago, since then if the stock FSX real weather engine displayed accurate weather, it was likely by pure luck that the archived data matched the current conditions.  For real world weather you are better served by using a weather add on program.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.