Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Poll: Your civilian simulator of choice and the future

What is your PRIMARY position on your civilian simulator of choice and future use?  

303 members have voted

1. 1. What is your PRIMARY position on your civilian simulator of choice and future use?

• Xplane is definitely my favourtie sim and/or i'm too heavily invested to change
    • P3D is definitely my favourite sim and/or i'm too heavily invested to change
    • I use both sims but spend more time in P3D
    • I use both sims but spend more time in XPlane
    • I exclusively use P3D but am considering changing to another
    • I exclusively use Xplane but am considering changing to another
    • I prefer Aerofly2 to the other options
    • I use FSX exclusively but will be changing
    • I use FSX exclusively and won't be changing

We all use our civilian sims for different and good reasons.  Some use all sims available.  One sim is not better or worse, they all have merits - what is important,  is what makes the simulator work for you.

I have run a simple poll before about which sims we use, but this is a more expanded poll about your views based on what we currently know and where we see the future for our sims of choice.

We are an interesting community with sometimes,  polarised views on this issue.  

What is your current stance on sim choice?  This isn't reason for a bun fight, nor is it an invite to start one.

P3D is definitely my favourite sim and/or i'm too heavily invested to change

In my particular case, the main reason are the addons. Both in fidelity and quantity. Not really a 'simulator preference' thing.

If i flew something else other than airliners perhaps my choice would be different.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

1 hour ago, Nuno Pinto said:

In my particular case, the main reason are the addons. Both in fidelity and quantity. Not really a 'simulator preference' thing.

If i flew something else other than airliners perhaps my choice would be different.

I understand what you are saying and that is  my stance too.  But I tried to limit the splits.

• Like 1

A bit of explanation might inform the discussion. I continue with FSX because I’ve been using it for ever (FS3) and because it works well on my setup. I’ve never tried P3D - don’t see the need for me. I tried XP10 and it was good but I was just more familiar with FSX so stuck with it.

I’m not promoting any specific sim - just that the one I use works for me. Simple as that. It’s like a favourite chair - I just like it.🙂

I know FSX has a limited shelf life but I’m ok with that. As and when it dies then I’ll look at my options.

• Upvote 2

Best regards

Rupert

2 minutes ago, CB_Pilot said:

I’m not promoting any specific sim - just that the one I use works for me.

Yup, that's what's important.

To the poll author:

You are probably not going to get much traction on the Aerofly question because of the way it's worded. I dont know of anyone that's going to proclaim liking Aerofly exclusively over P3D or X-Plane.

You will likely find that Aerofly users tend to use a number of sims equally, as the mood suits them.

I didn't answer because the question for Aerofly, as worded, was not applicable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

31 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

To the poll author:

You are probably not going to get much traction on the Aerofly question because of the way it's worded. I dont know of anyone that's going to proclaim liking Aerofly exclusively over P3D or X-Plane.

You will likely find that Aerofly users tend to use a number of sims equally, as the mood suits them.

I didn't answer because out of all the possibilities, the question for Aerofly, as worded, simply was not applicable.

The option wasn't about exclusive use of AF2, it was about preference.  I personally know 2 people who prefer it as a sim (and who actually use it exclusively because it suits their kind of flying)  - to mainstream sims.

It's a broad brush poll - not to be taken too seriously

Unfortunately, P3D payware is about 1/3 more in price than FSX, plus I have too much $'s invested in it to think about switching anytime soon.

Besides that, simmers bemoan all the so-called problems with FSX, but there's a multitude of posts in this Forum citing their on-going problems in P3D...   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, overspeed3 said:

Besides that, simmers bemoan

Don't they just.

• Like 1

I remember a time (1999 to 2008) when I used Flight Unlimited 3 (and the Flight Unlimited 2 San Francisco scenery) exclusively because Microsoft Flight Simulator was rubbish. In fact, it was garbage the day FS5 was released, and it remained garbage for the next 15 years.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I enjoy both P3Dv4 and XP11.  Really, it's more what mood I'm in.  Sometimes I'll get excited about XP11 and stay with it for a month or so, then I'll do the same with P3Dv4.

• Like 2

P3D if I'm flying airliners. But really fly DCS in a non combat role more than anything else. The feeling of flight, and immersion feels much more authentic in DCS, maybe its the visuals, or something. I really enjoy it, and one of the few people looking forward to the Christen Eagle  when it is released.

Jon Bailey

940666.png

Just as expected P3D is destroying the competition.😍👑

The reason this is true, is because the P3D business model is furthest from the attempted MS Flight business model. Also because it either has the most valuable features or the best add-ons for them features.

The rest are playing catch up, but they likely never will.

1 minute ago, pracines said:

The reason this is true, is because the P3D business model is furthest from the attempted MS Flight business model. Also because it either has the most valuable features or the best add-ons for them features.

The rest are playing catch up, but they likely never will.

It's hard to get genuine hard non-skewed data from Avsim, as I'm sure a lot of results on the X-Plane.org site would probably give you the opposite answers :). 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

6 minutes ago, pracines said:

These forums are a small slice of total usage.  Although a good indication of what users here do,  there are thousands who don't visit these forums.

• Like 2