Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Poll: Your civilian simulator of choice and the future

What is your PRIMARY position on your civilian simulator of choice and future use?  

303 members have voted

1. 1. What is your PRIMARY position on your civilian simulator of choice and future use?

• Xplane is definitely my favourtie sim and/or i'm too heavily invested to change
    • P3D is definitely my favourite sim and/or i'm too heavily invested to change
    • I use both sims but spend more time in P3D
    • I use both sims but spend more time in XPlane
    • I exclusively use P3D but am considering changing to another
    • I exclusively use Xplane but am considering changing to another
    • I prefer Aerofly2 to the other options
    • I use FSX exclusively but will be changing
    • I use FSX exclusively and won't be changing

27 minutes ago, pmb said:

Doesn't AVSIM make a more official poll every fall (including more sims and allowing multiple choices)? 

Kind regards, Michael

Since Tom left us, I don’t recall any.

I think polls are useful and fun as they give a voice to a silent majority of people who come here. The fora are usually drowned out by the outspoken, which sometimes skews opinion. 

The Flight Unlimited 2 cockpit graphics were amazing considering how many years ago they were introduced - but I forgot which sim, Flight U. 2 or IFLY, but I remember the scenery in one of them looked like flying over a nuclear wasteland...

It certainly wasn't Flight Unlimited 2 or 3, as they both had better terrain graphics than any other flight simulator at the time. However, the "Outer Terrain" in Flight Unlimited 3 was useless. I restricted myself to the two high resolution scenery regions (Seattle and San Francisco), and used the "mirroring" option to avoid any hard edges with rubbish generic scenery :wink:

On a side note, it may be of interest to note that I concentrated exclusively on the FU2 San Francisco scenery region for my final two years with Flight Unlimited 3. The terrain graphics were (ironically) better than those in the FU3 Seattle region, and I ended up adding a huge number of scenery packages for that region (considerably more than I added in the Seattle region), including an electricity pylon network with substations (built using real world power grid charts). Many of the models for these packages were built by my good friend Jon Point. There are times when I miss the good old days :sad:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

22 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Since Tom left us, I don’t recall any.

I am afraid you are right. The polls I found saved on my HD during the last years were all made by Aerosoft, and others.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, shivers9 said:

It's a fun poll. It is always amazing how much "spin" all of us flight Simmers can come up with to support our own Fav sims.😜

True. Just watch at the first hostile post in this thread coming from the same p3d user who has been wishing the demise of fsw, afs2, xp, etc.

32 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

:rolleyes:

The future is cloudy and veiled, as all the future is, guessing aside, but for the present, P3D is still the overwhelming choice of the vast majority, many of whom can't be bothered getting into a spitting contest. 

I hear you. I wish some users would not start spitting contests wishing the demise of other sims, like happened in this thread.

Anyway, counting the respective number of users in a more neutral place like Facebook groups, would yield very interesting results... 😉

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

12 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Anyway, counting the respective number of users in a more neutral place like Facebook groups, would yield very interesting results... 😉 

It suppose it would. But counting somewhere else again would also get interesting results. Any poll will get interesting results but none will reveal the full truth. 😉 Some may grumble a bit that P3D is getting the most votes here and not their favorite other sim but seriously, who cares...?!? I don't! If my favorite sim would get 1 vote (from me alone) and all other votes would go to a sim I wouldn't like, it wouldn't change my mind or stop me from flying my favorite sim. Polls are just fun. Nothing else. Let's keep them fun. There is no need to gloat because of P3D getting the most votes but there also is no need to grumble about it.

BTW I don't see anyone wishing the demise of other sims in this thread: you are the first one to bring that up, really. 😉

12 minutes ago, J van E said:

😉

BTW I don't see anyone wishing the demise of other sims in this thread: you are the first one to bring that up, really. 😉

Couldn't agree more with you, I don't care nor grumble at this poll results, I absolutely expected it, even if data in multiple other online venues paints a different picture. 😉

There's a certain P3D evangelist on Avsim who has been predicting and wishing for years the demise of every other flight sim. We all know who he is. The good thing is that he will be proved wrong. :-)

• Like 3

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I get way more educational knowledge by using P3D! 👨‍🎓 😉

52 minutes ago, Murmur said:

True. Just watch at the first hostile post in this thread coming from the same p3d user who has been wishing the demise of fsw, afs2, xp, etc.

And my wish is their command 🤣

1 down --- who will be next 👨‍⚖️😇😂

Edited by pracines

I have to say I am really seriously amazed at how much more popular P3D is here on AVSIM...! At this moment there are 10 times (!) as much users that call P3D their definitive favorite sim compared to XP! Even when looking at users of both sims but prefering one there are 3 times as much P3D users than XP users! Funny detail is that there are 5 times as much users who consider a change although 5 to 1 is hardly worth mentioning. Then again... 5 users who are considering a change while XP only has 6 users... the amount of XP users may double sometime soon. (Or they must be switching to AFS2, which I doubt.)

Almost forgot another funny detail: FSX has twice as much dedicated users than XP has...! Wow...!

Of course this is just one (limited) poll but it's fun seeing those results. 😉

If you simplify the results by adding up the favorite and 'more time' users and subtracting the upcoming 'switchers' (presuming they will switch to 'the other main sim' and dividing the leaving FSX users over P3D and XP) you get something like this:

P3D users: 74
XP users: 17
FSX users: 9
AFS2 users: 2

Quite a surprising list! 🙂 Whatever these numbers may mean, one thing is clear: P3D seems to be the most loved sim on AVSIM.

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, J van E said:

I have to say I am really seriously amazed at how much more popular P3D is here on AVSIM...! At this moment there are 10 times (!) as much users that call P3D their definitive favorite sim compared to XP! Even when looking at users of both sims but prefering one there are 3 times as much P3D users than XP users! Funny detail is that there are 5 times as much users who consider a change although 5 to 1 is hardly worth mentioning. Then again... 5 users who are considering a change while XP only has 6 users... the amount of XP users may double sometime soon. (Or they must be switching to AFS2, which I doubt.)

Almost forgot another funny detail: FSX has twice as much dedicated users than XP has...! Wow...!

Of course this is just one (limited) poll but it's fun seeing those results. 😉

I don't think it's that surprising. Most of the XP forum traffic is over on the .org forums, judging by daily frequency of posts compared to Avsim's XP sub-forum.

I think one reason is that, until recently, there wasn't any overlap in add-on developers between FSX/P3D and XP. So there wasn't much point in spending time anywhere but on the forum that did include all the existing add-on XP support and general conversation. Now it's expanding a bit, with companies like Orbx and others starting to support XP, although the traffic here in the Avsim XP forum is still fairly low.

Remember there is also a discussion board on Steam (as there is for FSX), which siphons off some traffic. It's roughly as active as the Avsim XP forum.

Personally, I spend most of my time here on Avsim because the signal-to-noise ratio is a little better, and the conversations at the .org are split into way too many sub-forums to keep track of. Mostly, I use the .org for the individual developer sub-forums like Carenado, X-Trident, etc. 

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

51 minutes ago, J van E said:

Quite a surprising list! 🙂 Whatever these numbers may mean, one thing is clear: P3D seems to be the most loved sim on AVSIM.

Not surprising at all. I know the sales numbers from a dev who sells airplanes for all 3 sims and P3D sells much better than this poll would suggest.

Once P3D with PBR will be out, I'd guess the difference will become even greater.

56 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

I don't think it's that surprising. Most of the XP forum traffic is over on the .org forums, judging by daily frequency of posts compared to Avsim's XP sub-forum.

I agree with you. I don't think that the proportions of serious flightsim users has changed much. It's still probably 50% P3d, 30% XP and the rest FSX, FS9 etc.. P3d still has the advantage because of the breadth and depth of high quality payware add-ons. That is changing, but the inertia of all that XP freeware keeps the pace of change at a moderate level.

Had P3d not gone to 64 bit (and if the consumer VR market had been more robust) AFS2 might have captured a bigger share of the market. If DTG FSW hadn't been a disappointment, the relative market shares today might look a whole lot different. Despite all the FUD that was spread during the past few years, LM is into flight simulation for the long haul. And LR isn't leaving either. This is all good news, as is the Flyinside flightsim.

My answer to the poll question was P3d and XP.

15 hours ago, J van E said:

Quite a surprising list! 🙂 Whatever these numbers may mean, one thing is clear: P3D seems to be the most loved sim on AVSIM

I expected P3D to be more popular, but I did expect a more even spread across XP and P3D on Avsim.  I've run the same poll on a Facebook group (5000 group members for P3D, XP and FSX) and in that poll, FSX  is in the lead

I posted on the Xplane forum asking for people who hasn't already voted to do so.  The numbers for XP have doubled so far.

I like the south pole the best but the north pole is OK, I did my own research and only two forums have a heads up on this poll the OP forgot to include the other simmers.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Where's the entry for "I use FSX and P3D"?