Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Poll: Your civilian simulator of choice and the future

What is your PRIMARY position on your civilian simulator of choice and future use?  

303 members have voted

1. 1. What is your PRIMARY position on your civilian simulator of choice and future use?

• Xplane is definitely my favourtie sim and/or i'm too heavily invested to change
    • P3D is definitely my favourite sim and/or i'm too heavily invested to change
    • I use both sims but spend more time in P3D
    • I use both sims but spend more time in XPlane
    • I exclusively use P3D but am considering changing to another
    • I exclusively use Xplane but am considering changing to another
    • I prefer Aerofly2 to the other options
    • I use FSX exclusively but will be changing
    • I use FSX exclusively and won't be changing

33 minutes ago, Holdit said:

Where's the entry for "I use FSX and P3D"?

If you use P3D why would you use FSX?  

• Like 1

Just now, ErichB said:

If you use P3D why would you use FSX?  

1. Because I have aircraft for FSX that aren't available for P3Dv4 and I'm not yet ready to abandon them e.g. Razbam Metroliner, Quality Wings BAe 146...

2. I have aircraft for FSX that I'm not prepared to buy again for P3Dv4 (yet) until I've flown them enough to know I'll get my money's worth from a new purchase for P3Dv4 e.g. PMDG 737, FSL Airbus...

3. I have scenery for FSX that isn't available for P3D v4 e.g. PacSim PNG Bushtrekker, Eiresim Dublin...

I have noticed several comments in various threads from others who run both, which is why I was surprised not to see it listed as an option.

Agree with Holdit!

I use both FSX and Xplane - and won't touch P3D with a 10-foot pole. So nothing there for me to tick...

Cheers

Mallard

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Holdit said:

1. Because I have aircraft for FSX that aren't available for P3Dv4 and I'm not yet ready to abandon them e.g. Razbam Metroliner, Quality Wings BAe 146...

2. I have aircraft for FSX that I'm not prepared to buy again for P3Dv4 (yet) until I've flown them enough to know I'll get my money's worth from a new purchase for P3Dv4 e.g. PMDG 737, FSL Airbus...

3. I have scenery for FSX that isn't available for P3D v4 e.g. PacSim PNG Bushtrekker, Eiresim Dublin...

I have noticed several comments in various threads from others who run both, which is why I was surprised not to see it listed as an option.

Fair enough. 

Maybe one of the mods could add the option

I just started to use XP11. And I really like it. But there are upsides and downsides on both, P3d and XP11. This topic has been dicussed often here and I think most of you know the pros and cons.

I think, as soon as the major players like PMDG, Aerosoft, ORBX, ActiveSky etc. start to push for P3D there is NO WAY I stay with P3D.

The engine itself is lightyears ahead of P3D. All I miss is some addons.

19 hours ago, Paraffin said:

I don't think it's that surprising. Most of the XP forum traffic is over on the .org forums, judging by daily frequency of posts compared to Avsim's XP sub-forum.

Ah, okay, didn't really know about that. (Or never really thought about that. 😉 )

18 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Had P3d not gone to 64 bit (and if the consumer VR market had been more robust) AFS2 might have captured a bigger share of the market.

I seriously doubt that because AFS2 is lacking way too many options. It doesn't come even close to what P3D and XP (can) offer. For now it's mainly good performing photoreal scenery with basic airplanes and that's it. Even out of the box P3D offers a lot more.

My AFS2 comment was also based on the lack of progress in consumer VR technology.

1 hour ago, swiesma said:

I just started to use XP11. And I really like it. But there are upsides and downsides on both, P3d and XP11. This topic has been dicussed often here and I think most of you know the pros and cons.

I think, as soon as the major players like PMDG, Aerosoft, ORBX, ActiveSky etc. start to push for P3D there is NO WAY I stay with P3D.

The engine itself is lightyears ahead of P3D. All I miss is some addons.

I'm thinking that you meant to say "pushing for XP11". But that aside, I think you are being a little too optimistic about the time frame for those add-ons. HiFi has been talking about an XP11 version for more than a year now. That's not a problem in itself. But you also should note that HiFi has dropped numerous hints that the structure of XP11 doesn't lend itself to a replication of the FSX/P3d4 version of Active Sky. It might be more of a Somewhat Active Sky for XP. And PMDG has stuck its toe in the XP waters before without much success. PMDG seems quite content to sell new P3d/FSX products for big bucks and I doubt that there are enough XP users that will shell out that kind of cash when cheaper options exist. Basically, the flight sim world is a dichotomy. XP11 is nicely suited for GA/VFR flying and P3d4 is still the best when you want airliners, IFR, ATC and AI traffic. I certainly don't mind that.

There is a parallel issue that has nothing directly to do with XP11 and P3d4 but it does illustrate to me why developers tend to focus on one flight sim at a time. VRS has probably the best military jet simulation in its F/A-18. For years, its users have been asking why VRS didn't produce a version for DCS. The official answer was that the architecture of DCS (and also the way that add-ons were approved) was a major challenge.Since nature abhors a vacuum, Eagle Dynamics released its own version of the F/A-18 in the infamous "early access" mode. Just like DTG FSW, which set the extremely low bar for early access, the DCS version is still missing  a lot of pieces. I suspect the F/A-18 will eventually get to a final release, but in the meantime, all ED did was to prove VRS right. Making the leap from one flightsim to another with either a complex aircraft or other add-ons is a tedious process.  In contrast, ORBX has had an easier time of it, because much of what it does consists of textures and orthoimagery. Even the modeling that it uses at airports isn't that elaborate, since the airports are generally small. KSAN has been their one big NA airport and I don't get the impression that it's been a big seller. ORBX has marketed light aircraft in the past, but they have lost interest in that as of late.

8 hours ago, ErichB said:

I posted on the Xplane forum asking for people who hasn't already voted to do so.  The numbers for XP have doubled so far.

I could have done similar for the Aerofly forum, but actually considered that as cheating, as I assumed the poll was to collect an actual random sample of Avsim users......

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

5 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

could have done similar for the Aerofly forum,

Then do it.  Making people aware of a poll on another forum within Avsim is not cheating. How on earth do you deduce that?  AF2 is a sandbox sim (not a global sim).  So I didn't initially consider it relevant to the poll at all.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, swiesma said:

Aerosoft has been trying to push XP very hard, after they lost competition on the FSX game successor to DT. They promised XP as the sim of the future in their flyers for many years while P3D + FSX always came (undifferentiated) on the last pages. They also hired an XP-only supporter for their forum. Only recently (with the advent of P3D4) did they acknowledge P3D is not yet dead.

The others I would agree.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

41 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I could have done similar for the Aerofly forum, but actually considered that as cheating, as I assumed the poll was to collect an actual random sample of Avsim users......

Well, it's not actually a random sample of Avsim users, it's a sample of those who bother dropping into Hangar Chat. A more representative sample would be something like a push poll via PM or email to all registered Avsim members. And even then, you wouldn't get a full response. Anyway, I don't think it would have a negative impact or be "cheating" to mention the poll in the dedicated sim forums. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Well yea poll's like this are always a bit skewed but from my own personal experience I see many YouTube and Twitch streamers streaming much more X-Plane than they used to , there are many more places on the interwebs to get data from. I would like to see this exact poll a year from now to see if anything changes. 😉

• Like 1

22:40 local time:

Avsim: WHO'S ONLINE   146 MEMBERS, 0 ANONYMOUS, 267 GUESTS

X-Plane.org: WHO'S ONLINE   588 MEMBERS, 11 ANONYMOUS, 319 GUESTS

Torfi