Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

LatinVFR's central American airports in P3Dv4?

Hey all,

I had always greatly enjoyed flying around central America, owing to the beautiful landscape and the fact that many of the airports are within 1-1.5 hours flying from each other. Given that I'm not particularly patient, nor do I have a lot of time, shorter flights are very attractive to me. However, LatinVFR didn't update any of those airports for P3Dv4, which is what I'm using now. Now, over the past few weeks, I have installed many older FSX and P3Dv1-3 sceneries. I know this is not the best thing to do due to performance concerns. For the most part, though, I found that, sicne many of these airports are not in congested areas, performance is not an issue by any means. Areas where I tried and promptly stopped using the older sceneries are areas such as LA and Dallas.

So I was considering installing LatinVFR's older sceneries, as they always looked fine to me and I had great pleasure flying in and out of them. I'm thinking of the likes of MROC, MGGT... that area. Before I go through the trouble of doing all that, I was wondering if somebody already tried and can tell me if it's worth the trouble?

Thanks,
Benjamin

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I've got Latin VFR's FSX version of Toncontin Tegucigalpa (MHTG) installed in P3D V4. It works just fine. Graphically that airport is nothing special but it's worth the trouble of installing it anyway, especially if you have a 757, because then you can try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loyKfeV7NFg 

If you like south/central American destinations, you should check out Virtualcol's Bogota El Dorado (SKBO), which is very inexpensive at 15 Euros for a P3D V4 compatible airport of its size. It's the busiest cargo airport in the whole of Latin America, and the second busiest for aircraft movements, being Avianca's hub, so it gets some interesting AI aeroplanes flying in and out of there too.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

For Toncontin I will probably go with Taxi2Gate's rendition. I believe it's a little more updated? Though it's good to hear LatinVFR's rendition works well, as it makes it more likely all the others will also work.

I didn't know Virtualcol's Bogota is a P3Dv4 scenery? I thought it hadn't been updated yet. Could you provide a link to the update, please? I had another look at Simmarket but they only list the older 2014 version, which goes up to P3Dv2. I've been desperately wanting SKBO, as it's so close to MPTO (which was recently released for P3Dv4). I think I might also reinstall LatinVFR's SVMI, if I'm anyway extending into that region. It's crazy how many older sceneries I have that have been left behind with the jump to P3Dv4...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Sorry, don't have the ones you mentioned. The ones I have from LatinVFR have P3D v4 installers.
Right around the area you are looking for is MHRO Roatán Intl, beautiful scenery, covers the whole island. (although its runway might be short for some tubes.)

Edited by RamonB

I am not using the ones you mentioned. But I use quite a few in South America. SPIM, SCEL, SUMU, SVMI, SLVR (has already a P3Dv4-version) and they are working and definitely worth installing them. The really old ones like SPIM or SCEL have minor issues but they are from 2009/2010 and I assume it was just the standard back then. I would say: go for it.

Georgian Virtual Airports (UGMS Mestia / UGGT Telavi / UGAM Ambrolauri)

Interesting. That seems to be the same version as I got from Simmarket... I'll try to install later today. Thanks for the heads-up!

Also great to hear from all you guys about all those other addons from LatinVFR. I might just end up installing all of them...

In addition, this was released today: https://secure.simmarket.com/kings-sceneries-cancun-and-riviera-maya-mexico-mega-scenery-for-p3d-all-versions.phtml

Any opinions? Seems like a great location, situated right between FSDT's KFLL and all those Central American airports. Includes two large international airport,s a bunch of smaller ones, and some city scenery as well. For some 17$. Not a shabby deal.

Benjamin van Soldt

24 minutes ago, RamonB said:

Sorry, don't have the ones you mentioned. The ones I have from LatinVFR have P3D v4 installers.
Right around the area you are looking for is MHRO Roatan Intl, beautiful scenery, covers the whole island. (although its 6857' runway might be short for some tubes.)

I've been thinking of getting it, as well as a scenery by PKSim for some islands far off the coast of Panama, forgot the name now... Sounds like you're a fan of MHRO then? What do you usually fly into there?

Benjamin van Soldt

3 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

I've been thinking of getting it, as well as a scenery by PKSim for some islands far off the coast of Panama, forgot the name now... Sounds like you're a fan of MHRO then? What do you usually fly into there?

Hello

I really enjoy doing Island/Airport Hopping all round the Caribbean. (AS + REX Sky + ORBX Global + addon airports + UTX Tropical America and the Caribbean)
The plane choice depends on the mood/ spare time/ wife calls, etc.
To enjoy the scenery I use the Waco YMF-5 (low and slow skimming the coast), for a bit faster and higher I use the 500S Shrike Aero Commander, and to reposition or to fly in style I use the EMB505 Phenom 300 (all modded, some with  F1-GTN750's). I recently started using the Baron 58 and the Seminole with GTN750 and GTN600.

46 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

Interesting. That seems to be the same version as I got from Simmarket... I'll try to install later today. Thanks for the heads-up!

Also great to hear from all you guys about all those other addons from LatinVFR. I might just end up installing all of them...

In addition, this was released today: https://secure.simmarket.com/kings-sceneries-cancun-and-riviera-maya-mexico-mega-scenery-for-p3d-all-versions.phtml

Any opinions? Seems like a great location, situated right between FSDT's KFLL and all those Central American airports. Includes two large international airport,s a bunch of smaller ones, and some city scenery as well. For some 17$. Not a shabby deal.

Fsimstudios (creators of MPTO) are doing MMUN, I would wait for that version

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

2 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

So I was considering installing LatinVFR's older sceneries, as they always looked fine to me and I had great pleasure flying in and out of them. I'm thinking of the likes of MROC, MGGT... that area. Before I go through the trouble of doing all that, I was wondering if somebody already tried and can tell me if it's worth the trouble?

LatinVFR MGGT works in P3Dv4, albeit it's a little dated.  I *did* have to add a revised AFCAD file for it, to add an exclusion for the stock P3D objects, delete a few unattached nodes, and clean up a few problems in the taxiways.  The main thing is the exclusion rectangle, which you could also add yourself if you have ADE

There is a freeware MHLM / San Pedro de Sula / Honduras that works in P3Dv4.  Unfortunately I am at work and can't remember any of the details.  SAP is a decent-sized airport in Hondo that handles a fair amount of cargo flights from MIA, and some pax as well.

LatinVFR MROC supposedly works in v4 but I have not tested.   There is a thread here at AVSIM about "older LatinVFR sceneries" that has more info.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB