Sign in to follow this  
Howellerman

Question for RW GA pilots: Weights and Balances

23 hours ago, fppilot said:

Great discussion, but having spent a career rooted too often in problem determination and problem resolution begs a question. Given the root of your problem why did you settle on an aircraft with rear facing seats?

Heya Frank, 

The "cocktail lounge" seating layout, with two rearward-acing seats right behind the cockpit bulkhead and two forward-facing seats at the aft bulkhead seems to be ubiquitous in GA aircraft that seat six, including pilot, or more total passengers.  I do have exceptions in my hanger, but by and large the seats right behind the cockpit are rearward facing.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

21 hours ago, J35OE said:

Just tested: TBM with pilot & co-pilot +110lbs fwd baggage, clean takeoff, neutral trim, no pitch input after rotation. The TBM settles at a ~17deg nose up attitude and ~90kias.

Try again with pilot only + 1 pax in the last row +110lbs aft baggage, clean takeoff, neutral trim and again no pitch input after rotation.  She pitches up to 25deg and stalls…..

Oooooh, this means a Carenado flight model is not as useless as some people presume!  :biggrin:

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

44 minutes ago, Howellerman said:

Oooooh, this means a Carenado flight model is not as useless as some people presume!  :biggrin:

Hi...

I find most of their planes fly quite well - most people who have beefs are usually focused on the systems and instrument modeling - that and their failure to fix bugs (Customer Support)... I'll fall out of my chair the day an FMC can do a Direct To without completely erasing your current flight plan...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

1 hour ago, Howellerman said:

Heya Frank, 

The "cocktail lounge" seating layout, with two rearward-acing seats right behind the cockpit bulkhead and two forward-facing seats at the aft bulkhead seems to be ubiquitous in GA aircraft that seat six, including pilot, or more total passengers.  I do have exceptions in my hanger, but by and large the seats right behind the cockpit are rearward facing.

Fully aware of that. But if there is an issue with frequent family passengers and that seating arrangement, there are other choices....  just saying.

The Cessna F406 Caravan II is a great example!

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere