Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a VERY LARGE PC case (open)

My next PC project (SimPit v3.5) is going to involve a bunch of additional components that probably just aren't going to fit into my Thermaltake Core X9 PC case and for that matter may not fit into any "closed" PC case?  I'm looking at open racks but they all seem to be "miner" based.

Requirements:

Don't really care how it looks, just needs easy access and be functional (open is fine).  On wheels is preferred but I can also add some wheels if not provided.  I'm expecting to do some fabrication but the less fab I have to do the better … needs lots of flexible mounting options and bracket support.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers, Rob.

luchtvracht-2-760x420.jpg&w=250&w=250&q=100

This should do it!

• Like 4

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Think I found one, but have no idea where to get this open layout?

OpenCaseDSC_8062.thumb.jpg.9387c506a9ef9add4cf0c7694949db65.jpg

Doesn't seem to be any info on the open bench at www.extremerigs.net … but that's a lot like what I'd want + some wheels.

Cheers, Rob.

29 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

Rofl.  But how can you be so sure Sam? 

I have faith in Rob. He will just have to be carefull about which memory sticks that he goes with. The ones with tall fins may not squeez in!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

Sam

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks for the links … Mountain Mods looks very interesting, sent out some eMails.

The TC P90 is nice but might actually be too small and it's not horizontal mount MB.

Cheers, Rob.

How about a Lian-Li PC-T70 or PC-T80?

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I contacted Rich over at Spotswood Computer Cases, but they are currently moving shop and fabrication couldn't get started until early Nov.  I did NOT hear back from Mountain Mods so no option there.  Unfortunately I need something within the next week (preferably by early next week) … so I ended up going with a vertical mount MB (not my preferred option but I probably will not have this CPU/MB combo for more than about a year anyway) … another Thermaltake Core W200 with the Core P200 option.

ThermalTakeW200P200.jpg.d1638ff10b80961a02b89b6f549b2e46.jpg

The P200 section will house the Koolance water chiller unit and a 480x60 Radiator and power supply dedicated for the Koolance chiller (for CPU).  The backside of W200 will house the 3 coolant pumps and reservoirs and two additional power supplies.  Top will have two more 480x60 Radiators (for both GPUs) and the front will have a 240 and 120 radiator dedicated to Asus MB waterblock.

I'm hoping to have all the components here by Oct 23rd … 9900K CPU is supposed to ship Oct. 19th, but the Asus MB has no ETA yet which could be the major delaying factor (most of the other components have arrived, EK CPU block, Koolance fittings/chiller, etc.).

I am a little concerned about household power draw … may have to route to a different household circuit as they are typically 15-20A to the bedrooms.

Cheers, Rob.

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

Lian-Li PC-T70 or PC-T80?

The Lian-Li PC-T80 was another very good option … but I had a hard time finding one in the US and I'm not sure it would have been large enough.

Cheers, Rob.

Make one!

Activate your DIY neurological pathways. 

Singularity Computers have an interesting video on line at the moment regarding their brief case PC. A big aluminium tool storage box would be a good basis. Or just buy the aluminium and dive in. After all, the construction is pretty basic.

Most of the PC open test benches aren't big enough for your needs, so as I say, I would build one exactly to my specs. 

Although I guess you could buy TWO test benches and screw them together.

I've even seen test benches built out of wood.

Edited by martin-w