Sign in to follow this  
flyjohng

Offset landing at Seatac airport Rw 034

Using Prepar3D ver 4.3 and Boeing 737-800. Experience offset landing at Seatac ILS - rw 034 L ( 344) with intercept ILS at TIFYS (2400" and freq 111.7)

The offset is several hundred yards from centerline.  Comming into Seatac from  north ( ILS Rw 16L) is no problem. Any tip ??

According to the latest Airac which is 1811 TIFYS is on the ils34c at SeaTac. I suspect your airport is out of date. And pmdg forum requires all posts to be signed by first and last name.

• Like 1

If you're using default scenery, it is grossly out of date, as the airport added a new runway years later. The default 34L is actually now 34C, so if you entered 34L into the FMC, it would take you out into the field if you're using the default scenery. 16L would be fine since that runway hasn't moved.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I feel like i'm missing something. It is true that the default 34L in P3D is now 34C on current airacs as seatac added an additional runway to the west and named it 34L. It is a bit strange that he said it took him to intercept TIFYS, with an ILS Freq of 111.7.  That is correct 34C (34L in default scenery), so it shouldn't have been a problem(?). 

Kevin Woo

Edited by Kevin_28

I am puzzled too.  If you tuned 111.7 (NGX has manual tuning only) and followed the loc/glideslope from TIFYS, you should have landed on default scenery 34L, up-to-date scenery 34C.  The ILS frequency is the same for old 34L and new 34C.

If you selected ILS approach 34L iin the FMC, you would not see TIFYS as one of your final approach fixes.  If you have only default scenery and you followed the final approach using the waypoints on the ND (in LNAV for example) you would have landed well to the left of the old 34L - you would have landed where the new 34L should be.

At any rate, there is free up-to-date scenery for P3D in the AVSIM library that should fix the problem.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Dear friends, thanks for answering- I am still puzzled and wander what is wrong.  Have downloaded latest maps for North America-

FTX Global Open LC North America. Also using Navigraph info ( oct 8 18) and Airac 1811

Have programmed the FMC on my 737-800 from Paine field to Seatac.  Seatac ILS Rw 34 L ( 344 deg- freq 110.75)

Picking up ILS at JALON/ 2400.  This will take us offset and far from runway 34L.   

On a second run, this time programmed to ILS, 34C  344 -freq 111.7- Tifus-- took us perfectly to centerline .

Will try to find an update for the scenery in the AVSIM lib.

John Reimertz ( new to the simworld)

53 minutes ago, flyjohng said:

Have programmed the FMC on my 737-800 from Paine field to Seatac.  Seatac ILS Rw 34 L ( 344 deg- freq 110.75)

Picking up ILS at JALON/ 2400.  This will take us offset and far from runway 34L.   

On a second run, this time programmed to ILS, 34C  344 -freq 111.7- Tifus-- took us perfectly to centerline .

Yes, because in your scenery, where 34L is is what is now 34C. The new 34L doesn't exist in the default scenery. The FMC is up to date, so the naming convention of the runways are up to date. The scenery, on the other hand, is not. You will find the same situation with FSDreamteam's Chicago O'Hare International Airport. What is runway 10/28 in that scenery is currently runway 10L/28R since the airport added additional parallel runways. You'll find this issue at some airports since airports are constantly undergoing construction.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Are you sure that the airplane was in LOC mode and not FAC? 

Added:

if you came in with the „new“ 34L in the FMC following LNAV and with APPR armed it might have gone into IAN as the actually tuned ILS LOC was way too far off... that would look like you were flying an ILS approach on the PFD except the wrong modes being active. 

Edited by Ephedrin

Hi friends, thank you for answering. The new Seatac runway 34L was opened Nov 8 2008. My scenery map for US was downloaded two days ago- 10 years later, and reports " Updated".  Understand that the downloaded files has not been updated- correctly. 

Have tried to locate an update on AVSIM Library for Seatac, but at no luck.  

( On final with APPR armed -autopilot on, and on GS all the way- can see the three runways- but offset to 34 L)

Best regards John R.

2 hours ago, flyjohng said:

Hi friends, thank you for answering. The new Seatac runway 34L was opened Nov 8 2008. My scenery map for US was downloaded two days ago- 10 years later, and reports " Updated".  Understand that the downloaded files has not been updated- correctly. 

Have tried to locate an update on AVSIM Library for Seatac, but at no luck.  

( On final with APPR armed -autopilot on, and on GS all the way- can see the three runways- but offset to 34 L)

Best regards John R.

Hello John, please note PMDG asks we sign our full names on all posts.

I have no idea what a "scenery map" has to do with anything related to aviation.  Are you perhaps referring to navdata or addon scenery for P3D?  I also don't understand what you mean when you say "GS all the way ..... but offset to 34L."  Do you mean you are lined up with 34C?  Does the FMA indicate LOC and GS captured?  If you are using 111.7 as stated in original post then you will be landing 34C.  If you want to land 34L then find a chart for KSEA ILS34L (FlightAware.com, AirNav.com or FAA Digital Products all provide free maps) and use that to set up and fly the approach.  You'll find that 34L localizer is 110.75.  Regardless, always use the charts.

Are you new to the PMDG NGX?  Have you flown the two tutorials?

Taxi2Gate makes an excellent KSEA airport scenery.

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

4 hours ago, flyjohng said:

My scenery map for US was downloaded two days ago- 10 years later, and reports " Updated".

I've never heard of a US map and I come around a lot in the FS world... What you might have updated is the Navdata. but the Scenery is still the same old stuff that was created for FSX. As Dan said, T2G sells a really nice Seatlle Tacoma scenery if you would like to have addon sceneries. Basically most serious simmers prefer using addon scenery and many are payware. The quality and quantity of available payware scenery has increased a lot over the last years. And most of the times it is up to date and correlates with actual airacs. I personally don't fly into default airports anymore at all. 

Searching "KSEA" in the AVSIM library, P3D - Scenery, I find

1) free scenery by Robert Catherall, but for P3DV2.  So I don't know whether it will work in P3DV4.  Robert adapted Ray Smith's FSX scenery for P3D  I have Ray's scenery for SEATAC and many other airports; he is a very reliable designer of freeware scenery for FSX

2)  a very recent demo version of Drzewiecki Design's SEATAC that says it will work in P3DV4 and is fully functional, with some limitations.

I also have to wonder whether you have some added scenery or AFCAD for KSEA that is causing problems.  Try searching your entire P3D folder for "Ksea" and see if anything comes up that looks like addon scenery.  If you find something but are not sure, you can check back here.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Dear friends, 

thanks for your answering me. My downloaded scenery for US is ORBX. 

Will look into your kind suggestions.

Best regards

John Reimertz

Speaking of KSEA, have the latest AIRAC and using the DD KSEA scenery and Seattle city in P3Dv4. For the life of me in the PMDG 747 or 777 I cannot get the G/S or LOC to work on 16C. I got with DD himself and the afcad has the right frequency and the aircraft has the matching frequency. Very odd.... 

Eric 

10 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Speaking of KSEA, have the latest AIRAC and using the DD KSEA scenery and Seattle city in P3Dv4. For the life of me in the PMDG 747 or 777 I cannot get the G/S or LOC to work on 16C. I got with DD himself and the afcad has the right frequency and the aircraft has the matching frequency. Very odd.... 

Hi Eric,

Assuming P3D has a similar built-in map to FSX, what frequency is showing on the map?  Also, are you sure you don't have another scenery or AFCAD for KSEA?

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2