Sign in to follow this  
agutz

cannot start rc4

I used rc4 two days ago. It worked for about five minutes then it stopped.
Since then I cannot start it anymore. When I double-click the icon (as admin) the spinning circle stops after one second, nothing happens, no error message.
Uninstall / reinstall didin't change anything.
OS is W10 1803, build 17134.345.
On Oct 10 there have been two updates KB4462919 and KB4462930

May the updates have broken anything?

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

It sounds like a W10 issue. I used RC4 yesterday on a W7 PC and it was fine.

10 can be a pain. Look in Event Viewer and see if there’s a message you can either google or contact Microsoft support. They’re pretty good at trying to help.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm on W10 1809 Build 17763.55 totally up to date. 

I flew from KORD to KBOS yesterday in the PMDG 739 using RC4.3 from gate to gate. I had no trouble at all.

I always check for updates to Windows, drivers, P3D and its add-ons, every morning before starting a flight session.

What flight sim? What version of FSUIPC? And is this your first time using RC4? 

Edited by pracines
  • Upvote 1

Ray,
yes, it is a W10 issue, but I don't know where to start.
AppCrashView doesn't show anything at all.

Paul,
it's P3Dv4, FSUIPC is 5141, and I'm using Rc4 since 2008.

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

40 minutes ago, agutz said:

yes, it is a W10 issue, but I don't know where to start.
AppCrashView doesn't show anything at all.

The difference in your version of Win 10 (1803, build 17134.345) and mine (1809 Build 17763.55) is a start.

42 minutes ago, agutz said:

it's P3Dv4, FSUIPC is 5141, and I'm using Rc4 since 2008.

FSUIPC is currently on version 5.1.4.105 or 5141e 

Andreas,

I would take Paul’s advice and try to update W10 to the current status. It sounds like you have some updates to apply.

Very important to keep FSUIPC up to date. As I’m still on W7 it’s difficult to give advice but RC4 will work as Paul has proved.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray and Paul,
Sorry, I just copied the wrong number for FSUIPC. I have 5.141e. 
And yes, RC4 worked in W10. The last flight I used it was October 14. Then it started ok but died after say 5 minutes. AppCrashView has a "stopped responding and was closed entry.
Since then it doesn't even start.

As for W10 1809: How do I get it? Settings says I'm up to date with 1803.

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

Andreas, have a look at Windows Updates history for October 14. Was anything updated around the time you flew?

Windows updates may be staggered depending on your country and language. My laptop is on 1803, build 17134.345 butt that's on W10 Pro.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

yes, as I said in my OP: 

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:00 PM, agutz said:

On Oct 10 there have been two updates KB4462919 and KB4462930

Not sure if I can uninstall those.

It looks like I have the same w10 pro version you have on your laptop. According to "Computerworld" it may as late as Jan19 until all customers get 1809 (which originally meant Sept 2018!). W10 is a pain - you know where!

Nevertheless, I'm no longer convinced w10 is to blame: absolutely nothing is dysfunctional except RadarContact. 

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

Andreas, RC is written in Visual Basic so there may be changes to some supporting files.

As this is the unofficial support forum I would ask you to write to Doug Thompson at dthompss@comcast.net.

He and John Dekker are the owners and really should support their program.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just to wrap up this thread:
Since I discovered other problems with P3D under W10 (speech recognition not working despite mic correctly recognised by recording devices, networking problems W7-W10) I decided to go back to W7.
I have a dual boot system and one of the OSs is W7 with FSX still installed. So I deinstalled FSX and installed P3D (still working on installing all the add-ons!). Now RC4 is working perfectly and I also can Communicate with FS2Crew.
What a relief!

• Like 1

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller