ricotorpe

SOLUTION: FSX Installation Registration Errors an Windows 10

Recommended Posts

tl;dr: Run the installer as Administrator, and do not install to the default directory.

 

I had a lot of trouble installing FSX on a new machine I built last week.  When I googled for a solution, I had the same problems I saw others had been getting -- over the past 2-3 years! But, I never found a solution which worked, even on this website. That isn't to say I never found good tips. 😉

When I installed FSX, it didn't ask for a Product Key, and when I followed with Acceleration. it wouldn't install at all. GRRRRR!!!! The solution is rather easy, once you know what it is. We can blam... uh, thank Microsoft for this. It wasn't enough that they had to rearrange admin tools and screw up the interface. They just had to add system security features which were poorly executed.

To install FSX, the steps are (sorry... I forgot how I changed the default install-to directory):

  • Open the DVD's root directory in an Explorer window.
  • Right-click setup.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • Change the install-to directory to something other than "Program Files (x86)" or "Program Files".
  • "C:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X" is a good option.
  • Repeat for the Acceleration Expansion Pack.
  • If you run the Service packs (which is unnecessary if you are also installing Acceleration) their installers should also be "Run as Administrator".

 

I hope this post saves a some people frustration and wasted time.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That is interesting. How did you manage the FSX keys as MS no longer renews keys. I assume that you started with a "clean sheet" PC  hence my question. I ask because I have my original FSX and Accelerations disks and would love to reinstall FSX on a CPU upgraded PC. I have a copy of the Flight Simulator "Gold Edition" but can't get it to re-install without a "Key already used" type message.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yellowjack said:

but can't get it to re-install without a "Key already used" type message.

Hopefully you are not getting this message.  Who's using it other than you?  I just reinstalled my FSX Boxed and Acceleration and this is the fourth installation and so far I have successfully activated.  But, there are many who have been successful in calling Microsoft and getting the key reset and getting a new key (the number to call in different locations in the world is on the box).  Fortunately there is FSX-Steam if all else fails as that costs about $25 and includes everything.

5 hours ago, ricotorpe said:

To install FSX, the steps are (sorry... I forgot how I changed the default install-to directory)

At the beginning of the installation, you'll see a "Options" at the bottom of the screen.  Click on that and you can change the directory.  I have mine installed in G:\FSX.

In order to install Acceleration, FSX must be installed and activated.  If you did not see an activation screen when you first opened up FSX, then you need to go to the following site and download and run the reset tool -  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/928080/error-1722-when-reinstalling-flight-simulator-x.

Once FSX is installed and activated, you need to install Acceleration.  When it completes, you should open up FSX again and it should ask you for the activation key.  If it does not, then you need to go into the Registry and change a Registry entry from whatever to PartMgr - that's PartMgr, not part manager or partmgr.  When I had the issue I had partmgr showing up so changed that to PartMgr.  More information here - https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/530851-windows-10-and-fsx/ and one here -  https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/514393-fsx-acceleration-activation-error/.

In my recent installation, I got FSX installed and activated then installed Acceleration and then got all kinds of error codes.  After doing the reset program again and then going into the registry and fixing the PartMgr, Acceleration still would not activate so did a REPAIR of FSX first.  After that was repaired, I started up FSX and it asked for activation again so I activated it.  Then I repaired Acceleration, and this time it asked for my Acceleration key immediately after completing the installation.

All of the above will happen if you did a reset of Windows 10 because Windows 10 reset will not get rid of the FSX app but will tell you that you still have to reinstall it.  So there was some leftover garbage in the registry that confused the new installation of FSX/Acceleration.  If you have a new computer and this is the first time you have ever installed FSX, then you should be able to install FSX, open it and activate it, and then install Acceleration and activate it when the installation is finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yellowjack said:

That is interesting. How did you manage the FSX keys as MS no longer renews keys. I assume that you started with a "clean sheet" PC  hence my question. I ask because I have my original FSX and Accelerations disks and would love to reinstall FSX on a CPU upgraded PC. I have a copy of the Flight Simulator "Gold Edition" but can't get it to re-install without a "Key already used" type message.

This was a new system. I assembled the mini-tower PC from components, and installed Win10 from a new DVD.

After two FSX attempts and uninstalls, I decided to run the installer as administrator and install to a different directory. Again, before I did this, the install program didn't even ask for a product key. I can't offer an opinion on why you are getting the "Key already used" message, but a guess would be either you have had to reinstall your copy so many times that MS won't OK any more installs, or somehow your key was exposed on the innerwebs.

If the install process contacts a MS server to validate the key, then because my installation went without a hitch, it looks like that server is still in operation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

At the beginning of the installation, you'll see a "Options" at the bottom of the screen.  Click on that and you can change the directory.  I have mine installed in G:\FSX.

Thanks!

I tried to edit my original post to reflect this, but I couldn't figure out how.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Further to my previous message I should clarify that I was getting the "already used messages" when I was trying to re- install "Microsoft Flight Simulator - Gold edition". Perhaps this is different from the original disks (which, as I said before, I still have). I remember that last time I reinstalled from the MS original disks, many years ago, I  made a phone call to a MS help centre. The MS centre and the person taking the call had no idea about flight simulator or new key numbers. I don't know where the call centre was or if that would make a difference but the man answering the phone had a strong sub-continental  accent so I think the call centre may have been overseas from Oz where I abide.

 

 

Edited by yellowjack
Clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, yellowjack said:

Further to my previous message I should clarify that I was getting the "already used messages" when I was trying to re- install "Microsoft Flight Simulator - Gold edition". Perhaps this is different from the original disks (which, as I said before, I still have).

 

I have two sets of disks which both say "Deluxe" on them, but one set is in a box which says "Deluxe" and the other set's box says "Gold" on it. I don't know if the DVDs are marked differently, or if they are the same, and the Gold edition simply combines Deluxe with Acceleration, but does not have different markings on the disks. I got Deluxe as a gift around 2005

In 2014, I bought a used stand-alone Acceleration expansion when I found out it had carrier landings. (If I'd known about it in 2007, I would have bought it immediately!) I later bought two copies of Gold, one as a backup and the other as a gift for a friend.

Even though I could have mixed up disks, I am inclined to think dicks 1 and 2 in the Gold edition both say "Deluxe" because it would have cost money to change the silkscreen for printing the disk tops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Gold editions has FSX/Acceleration in one box.  My FSX/Acceleration were two separate purchases - one for FSX Deluxe and one for Acceleration so I have two boxes.  They work the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ricotorpe said:

 

I tried to edit my original post to reflect this, but I couldn't figure out how.

You can edit posts up to 2 hours after posting a topic or post.  The Edit option should be available.  After that, you can click on the Report post button in the post (upper right corner of each post) you want to change and explain what you want to have done.  The reports go to the AVSIM Moderators and they will take a look and edit the post for you. Or that's the way it is supposed to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic of fsx keys comes up every now and then. I think at first it was four times. Then they extended it. Then I thought it became unlimited. I have installed my copy of FSX Deluxe on every OS since XP and twice on W10. The last time was about a year ago. I never had to install as admin of to a different directory. Though I've always had Home versions of Windows, and I run almost completely stock. I also don't have problems with updates.

Hmmmm, maybe I'm not a real simmer.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The license agreement indicates you can install FSX on the same system (it could careless about OS's) as many times as you want.  It is when you upgrade a piece of hardware.  That will be two uses and you can install it on that system for as many times as you want and even upgrade your OS.  If you upgrade your hardware again, that will be three uses and anything after that you will need to call.  If they ever became unlimited activations, I could see a lot of boxed versions on E-Bay and other media.  Of course there would be many DVD copies and replications of FSX/Acceleration Boxes too.  Other people would be making money and not Microsoft.  So the activation process will never to removed.

I actually have two copies of FSX/Acceleration and purchased the one I'm using now when the first purchase ran out of activations.  I tried to reactivate using the phone and entering the license and that did not work. Tried calling and that did not work.  Being impatient, I bought another one before stores ran out of copies.  Once I lose the ability to activate this box, I will no longer install FSX.  I use FSX now only to update the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide and help others when they have a CTD with FSX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2018 at 10:12 AM, Jim Young said:

The license agreement indicates you can install FSX on the same system (it could careless about OS's) as many times as you want.  It is when you upgrade a piece of hardware.  That will be two uses and you can install it on that system for as many times as you want and even upgrade your OS.  If you upgrade your hardware again, that will be three uses and anything after that you will need to call.  If they ever became unlimited activations, I could see a lot of boxed versions on E-Bay and other media.  Of course there would be many DVD copies and replications of FSX/Acceleration Boxes too.  Other people would be making money and not Microsoft.  So the activation process will never to removed.

I actually have two copies of FSX/Acceleration and purchased the one I'm using now when the first purchase ran out of activations.  I tried to reactivate using the phone and entering the license and that did not work. Tried calling and that did not work.  Being impatient, I bought another one before stores ran out of copies.  Once I lose the ability to activate this box, I will no longer install FSX.  I use FSX now only to update the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide and help others when they have a CTD with FSX.

Interesting. But what constitutes an upgrade, anymore? In the old days, when I installed a new MB and CPU, Windows would make me call to be able to activate itself. This was because Microsoft thought I was trying to install the same copy of Windows on two computers. If that is true for FSX, I shouldn't have been able to install it on as many different computers as I have. If an upgrade (other than GPU and RAM, etc.) is different from a new computer, it doesn't make sense to ding an upgrade and not a new computer.

Of course, Windows activation is different, now the last two W10 installs I've done have been from the generic W10 download. Then I signed in with my Microsoft ID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, bobbyjack said:

Of course, Windows activation is different, now the last two W10 installs I've done have been from the generic W10 download. Then I signed in with my Microsoft ID.

I do too and my account shows all of the MS products I own.  Just do not lose your ID or passwords or their computers (robots) will be extremely nasty with you and immediately ban you and even a Microsoft tech cannot fix it (I know as it happened to me).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2018 at 9:44 PM, bobbyjack said:

This topic of fsx keys comes up every now and then. I think at first it was four times. Then they extended it. Then I thought it became unlimited. I have installed my copy of FSX Deluxe on every OS since XP and twice on W10. The last time was about a year ago. I never had to install as admin of to a different directory. Though I've always had Home versions of Windows, and I run almost completely stock. I also don't have problems with updates.

Hmmmm, maybe I'm not a real simmer.

I wonder what is different about W10 when I installed and your W10s for your two installs. One obvious variable is the patch level of W10 at the time of our respective installs.

I have noticed that some games do not, by default, install to the "Program Files (x86)" or "Program Files" directories. For example, Command Ops 2 default installs to c:\LnLGames/Command Ops 2. Orbiter2016 installs to C:\Orbiter2016. I suspect this is to avoid the higher security Windows has on those directories.

 

BTW...

Orbiter2016 is a flight sim, both in space and in the atmosphere (Earth's and other planets!) so it is on-topic here, right?  It is 100% free, but the quality of both the gameplay and the documentation is as good or better than any commercial game. There is an API, so also tons of free, community add-ons, including other spacecraft & aircraft and panels with navigation tools. Examples: The Millennium Falcon and an orbital rendezvous tool. You ain't gonna link up with the ISS without it! http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Command Ops 2 has abstract air attacks, so it isn't quite as on topic, but suffice it to say it is a board-style WWII wargame without hexes or taking turns -- it is "real time pauseable". It uses Rise of Flight's pricing model with a free download of the core engine + 3 scenarios. https://store.lnlpublishing.com/command-ops-2-series

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now