Sign in to follow this  
Aviator64

phrase not being recognized

OK, I've done the voice training successfully, but I can never get my IFR release from an uncontrolled field.

"number one for departure" is always heard as "over One Four Departure" no matter how I say it.

"Say It" is non-functional, so what do I do?

Several possible solutions.

1) SayIt should work.  I just tried it and it's fine.  Use SayIt+ so you can modify the runway and departure runway if desired.

2) The phrases in SayIt do not use "Number One for Departure" , so if you use those phrases, they might work when you speak them.  "<Callsign> ready for IFR Release Runway 31 at Kilo Mike Whiskey Lima"

3) You can add a Personal Grammar Training Phrase in the Grammar Helper and do training with the exact phrase you are trying to get recognized.

Regards,

Dave

On 10/17/2018 at 3:11 PM, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Several possible solutions.

1) SayIt should work.  I just tried it and it's fine.  Use SayIt+ so you can modify the runway and departure runway if desired.

2) The phrases in SayIt do not use "Number One for Departure" , so if you use those phrases, they might work when you speak them.  "<Callsign> ready for IFR Release Runway 31 at Kilo Mike Whiskey Lima"

3) You can add a Personal Grammar Training Phrase in the Grammar Helper and do training with the exact phrase you are trying to get recognized.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks for your reply.

From your user guide:

Request
IFR Release at Uncontrolled Airport
<CallSign> is number one for departure runway <RunwayName> at <ICAOCode> request IFR Release
Departure, Center, Approach

This is the only phrase listed for this purpose. You might want to update the manual!

Calling for release on the DEL freq was heard correctly (with the phrase you mentioned) but was ignored. Once I figured out that I had to change to the APC freq it worked properly. At the (real-life) airport in question, we always call for release on DEL because APC can't hear us on the ground. Also, the DEL controller didn't indicate a frequency change, just "call for release when ready" so this was somewhat confusing.

That must be why SayIt did not offer the "request release" phrase - I was still on the DEL freq.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up!

Thanks for the details.  What airport were you at?  

I have updated the manual with the additional phrase for the next release.

Thanks,
Dave

Interesting.  Unusual to have a Clearance Delivery frequency with no tower, but obviously it is true in Dayton.  The program does not currently account for this situation, so just switching to KMGY App/Dep or Indianapolis Center for IFR release should do the trick.

Thanks,

Dave