Sign in to follow this  
shane2801

Upgrading Cpu

38 minutes ago, AnkH said:

How can you read from "32GB DDR4 3200MHz" that this is a "nice memory kit"?

well, i can't. but i did read somewhere, and understood it as, that he purchased a 3600 c15 kit .....maybe it was someone else.  My apologies

Edited by FunknNasty

3 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

well, i can't. but i did read somewhere, and understood it as, that he purchased a 3600 c15 kit .....maybe it was someone else.  My apologies

You did read that in another thread.  😉

Cheers

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

5 hours ago, AnkH said:

As a piece of caution: do not expect too much from overclocking the 9900K. Intel is playing games with those CPUs. They HAD to use again properly soldered IHS for this generation, as it would have been simply impossible with the approach they did in the last few years. Furthermore, Intels TDP specification of 95W for the 9900K is simply for the base clock of 3.6GHz, as soon as the turbo kicks in, 95W are an illusion. I doubt that with a normal standard cooling solution that 5.0GHz on all 8 cores is as easy to achieve as many here think. I guess, the heat produced will be at least comparable to a 8700K running at 5.0GHz on all 6 cores, and this you do not get cooled using a standard cooling solution. Certainly you can Forget 5.5GHz on all cores, this will be never the case for normal users.

I suspect that you are correct in that this chip may well start challenging cooling system potential to where we start separating the men from the boys in terms of real sustained heat transfer capacity.  I wonder if the best air cooling solutions like the Noctua DH15 might actually hit a wall in keeping these cool enough when clocking the whole chip, where something like my overspecced custom water loop (two 360mm extra-deep radiators just for the CPU) might not.  That loop was originally built to cool a CPU and a pair of GPUs, all overclocked, which it did well.  The two air-cooled 1080Ti GPUs I use now aren't seeing temps that beg for water (typically mid 50s C), and their fans are quiet enough in the presence of acft sound (coming through a full 5.1 home theater system) so for the first time in four build generations, I didn't put water jackets on the GPUs.  So the CPU gets the undivided attention of a cooling system designed for a much--three to four times--larger heat load.  Should be some interesting (and fun) experimenting.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Is there no news yet of performance with the i9-9900k and 17-9700k regarding Prepar3D?

What kind of "news" do you expect? It is almost impossible to benchmark Prepar3d, that's why you will not find any numbers for it in the web. Only user-reviews with a big portion of subjectivity. A pity, but that's how it is. My personal guess: the performance of an i7-9700K will be almost identical to the one of a i9-9900K, assuming they run with the same clock speed.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I agree, running a i7-6700k and would like to upgrade to either one of the 9th generations, is it worth my while?

13 minutes ago, AnkH said:

What kind of "news" do you expect? It is almost impossible to benchmark Prepar3d, that's why you will not find any numbers for it in the web. Only user-reviews with a big portion of subjectivity. A pity, but that's how it is. My personal guess: the performance of an i7-9700K will be almost identical to the one of a i9-9900K, assuming they run with the same clock speed.

On 10/16/2018 at 9:47 PM, cowpatz said:

I hope you share your upgrade experience with us Eric. Will a 5.0 Ghz overclock be easily achieved or only on the "lottery" chips?

Ironically if you purchase you chip from a company called Silicon Lottery you can get a chip that has been tested and sorted by performance. Yes you pay a bit more but it’s worth it and they are delidded for enhanced thermal performance. I have seen excellent results with 3 recent builds achieving 5.1 and 5.2 GHz as promised. I would never build a PC again without using them, they have a wide selection of chips at various performance tested levels. Check them out at siliconlottery.com I’m looking forward to my next build this summer using their delidded and binned chips.

Joe

Edited by joepoway

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

Well, to be perfectly honest, some of those "pre-selected" and delidded CPUs come with a recommended CPU Vcore voltage and AVX offset that would also work with almost every CPU from the open market. I also bought a preselected and delidded 8700K for 5.0GHz, but my main motivation to do so was the delidded CPU, not the guarantee for 5.0GHz.

@kurtb As mentioned, due to the lack of data, this is really hard to tell. Due to the newer generation you will for sure get some improvements, but I do not know if it is worth the upgrade price. I switched from a 3770K running at 4.5GHz to the 8700K running at 5.0GHz and in the end, the performance increase I see is mostly due to the new generation, the increased clock speed and the switch to DDR4 RAM. In your case, it would be "only" the generation switch. And probably the clock speed (as you did not specify the clock speed of your current 6700K).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Clock speed 4.59 ghz at the moment, yeah i am sitting in a position -do it ore don't ,due to the upgrade price.

7 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Well, to be perfectly honest, some of those "pre-selected" and delidded CPUs come with a recommended CPU Vcore voltage and AVX offset that would also work with almost every CPU from the open market. I also bought a preselected and delidded 8700K for 5.0GHz, but my main motivation to do so was the delidded CPU, not the guarantee for 5.0GHz.

@kurtb As mentioned, due to the lack of data, this is really hard to tell. Due to the newer generation you will for sure get some improvements, but I do not know if it is worth the upgrade price. I switched from a 3770K running at 4.5GHz to the 8700K running at 5.0GHz and in the end, the performance increase I see is mostly due to the new generation, the increased clock speed and the switch to DDR4 RAM. In your case, it would be "only" the generation switch. And probably the clock speed (as you did not specify the clock speed of your current 6700K).

I personally think that upgrading entire systems is the way to go these days if you want to see significant improvements in performance. Without those massive increases in clock speed, you need a combined CPU/GPU/RAM/bus bandwidth upgrade to make it worth the effort.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

33 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I switched from a 3770K running at 4.5GHz to the 8700K running at 5.0GHz and in the end, the performance increase I see is mostly due to the new generation, the increased clock speed and the switch to DDR4 RAM. In your case, it would be "only" the generation switch. And probably the clock speed (as you did not specify the clock speed of your current 6700K).

AnkH - I'm running an i7-3770k at 4.5GHz and considering a CPU upgrade (at not insignificant cost given the need for new MB and RAM). You said you saw a performance increase but how significant was it? I know it's not always easy to gauge but in percentage terms would be helpful.

Generally, P3Dv4 is running well for me, I keep the graphics settings somewhere between low and medium. I just suffer really low FPS (10-15) at a handful of places when using complex aircraft like the PMDG 737 - usually both detailed payware airports and Orbx regions are in use (like EGLL, KSEA, KSFO and KLAX). Perhaps that combination will be demanding for any hardware.

Anyway, would be good to hear about your upgrade experience before I part with my cash. Thanks in advance.

I am also running an "older" CPU, a 4770K Haswell at 4.2 GHz.. coupled with a GTX1070.

It must be great to have the very latest hardware, but frankly, P3DV4.3. runs so well on my system that I am hesitant to spend any money at all on an upgrade.

Ever since I started limiting my fps in Nvidia Inspector at 30, while keeping it at unlimited in P3D, and limiting my texture resolution to 1m, my CPU has been happily humming along, and the sim is smooth as silk.

I should also mention that I have HT set to ON and and affinity mask of 253 set.   253=11 11 11 01.  Having more cores active really makes a difference in V4.3.

My point... It is possible to run P3DV4.3. very well on existing hardware, and while my configuration does not give me any bragging rights, it sure does the job of giving me a very satisfying flight experience with many airplanes in great Orbx scenery.  :cool:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

14 hours ago, dom8984 said:

AnkH - I'm running an i7-3770k at 4.5GHz and considering a CPU upgrade (at not insignificant cost given the need for new MB and RAM). You said you saw a performance increase but how significant was it? I know it's not always easy to gauge but in percentage terms would be helpful.

That is really almost impossible, sorry. I have a heavy scenario I use to set my settings inside P3D, that is LSZH from Aerosoft with UT2 traffic. It is still one of the most taxing airport addons I own, so I use it to "benchmark". I have seen an increase in FPS there, maybe from 20 to about 23FPS, but what really changed my sim was using the internal frame limiter plus VSYNC (but no triple buffering). It helped to get rid of this annoying autogen loading late and in patches. It helped to avoid blurries. In turn, I had to lower some settings a notch. With my current setup, I am capable of getting 30FPS on LSZH (depending on the viewpoint), which is fine. But the settings I use now are not comparable to what I used with the 3770K, so a comparison is not possible anymore...

BTW: I also have HT on on my 8700K and an affinity mask setting inside the config. In my case, I use AF=1365, simply all non-HT cores. Somehow, on my rigs, leaving HT on but using AF always resulted in a more smooth sim, since the days I switched to FSX about 10 years ago.

Greetings, Chris

Intel and Nvidia are desperate to get the 10nm die shrink it should have already happened, they know they will face big compaction from the red camp next year with the 7nm well into production, the 20 series GPU could be a very short run as they will try to get a new GPU out for Q4 2019.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

They can't keep on shrinking it. They are going to have to look at other alternatives if they want a long term solution.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png