Sign in to follow this  
shane2801

Upgrading Cpu

AMD are working on several 7nm dies on the wafer linked to a central core bringing 48 thread CPU, more for the server market I suspect Intel has ruled in this market up to now and is their main focus, the corporate market spend big and think nothing of dropping $3000-$5000 on a CPU multi perches, that I suspect is why Intel are rushing to get multi core CPUs to the market not for the likes of us. 

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

AMD's potential big moneymaker is the processor for the PS5. And the Navi-based 7 nm GPU might even show up in the next iteration of the XBox.

On 11/2/2018 at 7:10 AM, AnkH said:

That is really almost impossible, sorry. I have a heavy scenario I use to set my settings inside P3D, that is LSZH from Aerosoft with UT2 traffic. It is still one of the most taxing airport addons I own, so I use it to "benchmark". I have seen an increase in FPS there, maybe from 20 to about 23FPS, but what really changed my sim was using the internal frame limiter plus VSYNC (but no triple buffering). It helped to get rid of this annoying autogen loading late and in patches. It helped to avoid blurries. In turn, I had to lower some settings a notch. With my current setup, I am capable of getting 30FPS on LSZH (depending on the viewpoint), which is fine. But the settings I use now are not comparable to what I used with the 3770K, so a comparison is not possible anymore...

BTW: I also have HT on on my 8700K and an affinity mask setting inside the config. In my case, I use AF=1365, simply all non-HT cores. Somehow, on my rigs, leaving HT on but using AF always resulted in a more smooth sim, since the days I switched to FSX about 10 years ago.

Often hard to make a comparison so I understand. Thanks for sharing the benefit of your experience though. I'm minded to take the plunge and upgrade the CPU.