Sign in to follow this  
lukejw20

PMDG 747 V3 OOM after long haul

Hello. I was flying from Atlanta to Los Angeles a few weeks ago on the PMDG 747 and as I got close to LAX, my laptop started making windows 10 notification sounds over and over again until I finally got an OOM error seconds before touch down on Runway 7R. I was flying from Chicago to Amsterdam a few days later and the windows 10 notification sounds started again as I got close to Amsterdam. My graphic filtering is bilinear, I have anti-aliasing on, my graphics detail is high, and my special effects detail is medium. I have also lowered my traffic settings. My memory limit to how much FSX can use is 1903 mb, which is the recommended. When parked at the gate in the 747, the memory usage is around 1700 mb. Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz 

8 Gigabytes of RAM

64bit operating system, x64-based processor

Is there any other way that I can at least try to fix the OOM errors? 

Note: The 737 NGX and 777 do not have this problem, although I have not flown a 777 on long haul since what happened with the 747

Luke Welborn

I'm not trying to be clever but the best way to get rid of OOM's is to upgrade to P3Dv4. If that isn't possible I'm sure others will chime in with good advice.

Edited by DavidP

David Porrett

OOM Errors are not uncommon when using a 32bit sim like FSX, with complex planes, scenery add-ons. Remember, OOM Errors has nothing to do with running out of physical memory, as you have 8 gig, but running out of Virtual Address Space (VAS). Which is limited to 4 GB for a 32 bit application (FSX).  As David suggests, the only real option is to use a 64bit Sim (P3Dv4). Anything else, and its a compromise. Lower graphic settings, remove scenery, etc. in order to stay within the 4GB VAS. 

Recommend searching for "AVSIM CTD guide"  for more info. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

I think its on page 29 of the 747 intro manual - VAS and OOM 

A 64 bit flight simulator (not just operating system) is the only fix for this situation currently. Anything else is like applying ones finger to stop a Hoover Dam leak....futile.

Lower the sliders...fly to small barren airports....don't fly in stormy skies....on and on...backwards solutions for the sake of stubbornness. 🤢🤮

• Like 1

Honestly, I've had plenty of oom errors with P3DV4 as well. Better than FSX for sure but definitely limitations. Long flight with HD clouds, study level plane and scenery as well as autogen sliders too high and game over💣

Vic green

26 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

Honestly, I've had plenty of oom errors with P3DV4 as well

I've never seen one since changing over to 64-bit. Maybe I'm lucky.

David Porrett

20 minutes ago, DavidP said:

I've never seen one since changing over to 64-bit. Maybe I'm lucky.

I think I may use too many apps running outside the sim. I use Active Sky for P3D, Little Nav Map, OPUS FSI for camera. If I change time after starting the sim or click on the Nav Map too often to check my position I seem to get bit. I don't know. I have studied the AVSIM CTD guide. Just try to push my system too far sometimes. Seems you find a workable balance then just try to move things up a little too much. 

Vic green

49 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

Honestly, I've had plenty of oom errors with P3DV4 as well

You are likely the only one, and/or you are confusing OOM with some other error; your system specs may tell a better picture. 

But if you are saying that (or sticking to) you are getting a VAS OOM error in P3Dv4, then I personally don't believe you at all.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, PATCO LCH said:

I think I may use too many apps running outside the sim.

I have usually 14 apps running plus Internet with 3 tabs during 14+ hour long hauls in the PMDG 748 and never got a VAS OOM.

It is more likely you are referring to system memory. How much system memory do you have?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pracines said:

You are likely the only one, and/or you are confusing OOM with some other error; your system specs may tell a better picture. 

But if you are saying that (or sticking to) you are getting a VAS OOM error in P3Dv4, then I personally don't believe you at all.

Checking the event log they are APP Hangs. I was associating OOM with CTD. 

Vic green

1 minute ago, PATCO LCH said:

Checking the event log they are APP Hangs. I was associating OOM with CTD. 

Whew - I thought for a moment I was having a nightmare. 😃

8 minutes ago, pracines said:

I have usually 14 apps running plus Internet with 3 tabs during 14+ hour long hauls in the PMDG 748 and never got a VAS OOM.

It is more likely you are referring to system memory. How much system memory do you have?

If you mean RAM I have 16Gb.

Edited by PATCO LCH

Vic green

46 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

think I may use too many apps running outside the sim. I use Active Sky for P3D, Little Nav Map, OPUS FSI for camera

Hmm, I use those but Ezdok for the camera. Also the "heavyweights" - PMDG, FSL, Orbx global and regions. Not too many "mega" airports though.

David Porrett

15 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

Honestly, I've had plenty of oom errors with P3DV4 as well. Better than FSX for sure but definitely limitations. Long flight with HD clouds, study level plane and scenery as well as autogen sliders too high and game over💣

Looks like someone has already chimed in, but I want to be clear that, in a 64-bit environment and sim, this is theoretically impossible. You'd overrun your RAM first before you ripped through VAS in 64-bit.

OOM and CTD are not interchangeable. An OOM can cause a CTD, but a CTD is not always the result of OOM (square implies rectangle, but rectangle does not imply square).

----------

MOD NOTE: Luke - please be careful as to where you post. Posting a thread in the top level of our forum like this means that people are likely to miss it. Threads should be created in the appropriate sub-forum. In this case: PMDG General.

I have moved this thread to the appropriate location.

Edited by scandinavian13
  • Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

EHAM is and has always been cursed with bad performance in FSX. Since I installed FlyTampa scenery it's gotten even worse with OOMS.

What sometimes helps for me is to put the sim on pause 'P' for a minute and then continue. It might just give you an extra few seconds so you can complete the touch down to stand still.

You could try DX10 preview mode as it is slightly easier on VAS. It's very little but could just make the difference. PMDG does not support DX10 preview mode though so cannot promise a smooth ride. FWIW, in my case I do not notice any difference.

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable