Sign in to follow this  
lukejw20

PMDG 747 V3 OOM after long haul

48 minutes ago, avhpilot said:

What sometimes helps for me is to put the sim on pause 'P' for a minute and then continue. It might just give you an extra few seconds so you can complete the touch down to stand still.

What should always work better than a Pause (I am surprised that works for you) is to save the session before TOD.  Exit FSX.  Start FSX and load the saved flight.  All the VAS memory that had been building up (FSX does a poor job of disposing of stuff in memory) will start fresh and you should be able to get to the gate without problems.  I've used this most flights before P3Dv4.  Save your flight at least 10 nm before the TOD or any changes in heading to give the aircraft time to initialize and settle down on attitude and speed.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

16 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

I think I may use too many apps running outside the sim. I use Active Sky for P3D, Little Nav Map, OPUS FSI for camera. If I change time after starting the sim or click on the Nav Map too often to check my position I seem to get bit. I don't know. I have studied the AVSIM CTD guide. Just try to push my system too far sometimes. Seems you find a workable balance then just try to move things up a little too much. 

I use far more than that on every flight (sometimes 3 a day) and have never even come close to an OOM in v4

List of my add on's:

P3D v4.3 
PMDG 737
PMDG 747-400
PMDG 747-8
Aerosoft A318 Pro
Aerosoft A320 Pro
FSL A320 X
MJC Q400
TFDi 717
FS2Crew Reboot for P3D v4
Ultimate Traffic Live 
FSFX PricipitFX
FSFX 737 Immersion
FSFX Chaseplane
FTX Global for P3D v4
FTX Europe LC
FTX Vector
FTX Australia
FTX Germany North
FTX Germany South
FTX England
FTX Scotland
FTX Ireland
FTX Northern Ireland 
FTX Wales
FTX CityScene Barcelona
Black Marble Base and Vector
Stargazer
REX SkyForce 3D
ENVTEX for P3D v4
ENVSHADE
ASP4 for P3D v4
GSX Level 2 for P3D v4
ProATC X 

Airports
UK2000 Airports

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

As stated earlier I made the mistake of confusing crash to desktop with oom. Not the same, nevertheless I have had several CTD's with P3DV4. Why I am not sure but does seem affected by settings such as level of detail radius, autogen settings as well as other texture setting. I have what I consider a mid-level Alienware PC which is two years old so I don't think inadequite equipment is necessarily the issue.

P3DV4 is exponentially an improved sim compared to FSX but still has to be somewhat nurtered to find that sweet spot which is unique to each individual. If you have been able to throw your sliders to the right, pile on the heavy scenery add-ons and fly the complex aircraft for 16 hours I rejoice on your behalf. All I'm saying is this has not been my experience. I have at times had Prepared fall off the screen and yes I have studied the AVSIM CTD guide.

Vic green

6 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

As stated earlier I made the mistake of confusing crash to desktop with oom. Not the same, nevertheless I have had several CTD's with P3DV4.

The CTD events that I have encountered in P3Dv4.3 have always been traced back to an addon.  Make sure all your addons, specifically those that use dll or exe modules, are up to date.  For example, FSDT has been updated numerous times in the past six months. Make sure you have the latest FSUIPC and SODE.

• Like 2

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, downscc said:

The CTD events that I have encountered in P3Dv4.3 have always been traced back to an addon.  Make sure all your addons, specifically those that use dll or exe modules, are up to date.  For example, FSDT has been updated numerous times in the past six months. Make sure you have the latest FSUIPC and SODE.

Thanks Dan. I have almost all FSDT products. I'll check that. I also have all the ORBYX Globel World Class sceneries. Adjusting Vector down helps.

I know this is subject matter outside the PMDG forum but my CTD's always occurred during cruise and occasionally at the same point on the map. For some strange reason North Georgia seems problamatic.

Vic green

11 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

Thanks Dan. I have almost all FSDT products. I'll check that. I also have all the ORBYX Globel World Class sceneries. Adjusting Vector down helps.

FSDT's couatl scripting engine, and/or add-on manager can cause odd issues.

"orbx," btw - it seems people from OZ like to make weird names that shirk normal spelling rules...orbx...qantas... (poking fun, obviously - I really love their work...and I also speak German, which is arguably much worse 😛 )

14 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

I know this is subject matter outside the PMDG forum but my CTD's always occurred during cruise and occasionally at the same point on the map. For some strange reason North Georgia seems problamatic.

Sounds kinda like it might be in/around ATL. Have any add-ons there?

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

1 hour ago, scandinavian13 said:

it seems people from OZ like to make weird names that shirk normal spelling rules

Fair dinkum, do we??

qantas

Qantas with a "u" just doesn't look right 🤣

Edited by DavidP
  • Like 1

David Porrett

4 minutes ago, DavidP said:

Qantas with a "u" just doesn't look right 🤣

Agreed. Also an acronym, if I remember correctly, yeah?

Queensland and Northern Territory something-something?

Kyle Rodgers

13 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Queensland and Northern Territory something-something?

Air Service?

Dan Downs KCRP

8 minutes ago, downscc said:

Air Service?

"Aerial Services".

There is a great museum, the Qantas Founders Museum at Longreach (YLRE). They have static displays of a 747 Classic as well as a 707. The museum itself is a fantastic experience with displays dating from Qantas' beginnings.

Awesome stuff.

Edited by DavidP

David Porrett

Sounds kinda like it might be in/around ATL. Have any add-ons there?

Yes sir. Aerosoft KATL, as well as several ORBX world wide freeware airports are in that region. Not too long ago I was flying the NGX from Atlanta to Bermuda and had a couple of CTD's in subsequent retries  So I did the same flight with the Queen and she sailed right through. Similar experience flying NGX from Charlotte to Havana. About three crashes experimenting with different apps and settings. Then I changed to the QOTSIII and landed in Havana singing "Quanta La Mera".  Strange.

Vic green

Upgrading to Prepar3D V4 is definitely the solution but version 5 might be out by this spring, so may want to just wait for that.

From Dr. Google:

In Windows 64-bit, a default virtual address space for a process is 8 terabytes (there are a total of 2 ^ 24 addressable terabytes on a 64-bit byte addressable system) and in 32-bit it's only 2 GB (4 GB addressable total).  

8 TB is a LOT of RAM by today's standards, but then again, Bill Gates once said he never expected an application to require more than 640KB of RAM.

Mark Trainer

On 10/17/2018 at 3:23 PM, scandinavian13 said:

but I want to be clear that, in a 64-bit environment and sim, this is theoretically impossible. You'd overrun your RAM first before you ripped through VAS in 64-bit.

In general you are being right, but you forgot about the desktop heap limitatation issue:

https://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/how-to-fix-out-of-memory-error/

Often been an issue in W7 environment, in W10 natively set higher as far as i remember, but could also result in OOM. 

You can also experience an oom when no or a small pagefile is set and you minimise the sim.

4 hours ago, captainsazzman said:

lol people still use fsx?

Sure... I bet there are still a few around using FS9.

Dan Downs KCRP