Sign in to follow this  
Deltaair1212

Windows 10 file explorer

I am having a little issue after I reset my OS. Whenever I download a program, my files in File Explorer are not formatted correctly. For instance: my P3D CFG file is just a blank sheet of paper on the screen, even though it suppose to default to notepad. So I have to physically click on notepad when it asks me what I want it opened as. But it never saves it so I have to do this every time. It’s like that for everything. .exe and .xml files are acting funny too. Does anyone know how to fix this? I’ve never run into this issue before...

Resetting your OS also did reset the file association to the OS's default (.CFG files are not associated with Notepad by default).

To redo the association, if you are on Windows 10, right click on a .CFG file and choose "Open with" then "choose another app" (even if you see Notepad as an option in the list).

Next, in the option popup that comes up, select Notepad and tick "Always use this app to open CFG files". Click OK to confirm the file association.

The reason to do it this way is that if you were to select "Notepad" initially instead of "choose another app", your .CFG file would open in Notepad, but only for this instance. The association between .CFG and Notepad would not stick. By using "choose another app", it becomes permanent (until you reset your OS again).

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

16 minutes ago, NBouc said:

Resetting your OS also did reset the file association to the OS's default (.CFG files are not associated with Notepad by default).

To redo the association, if you are on Windows 10, right click on a .CFG file and choose "Open with" then "choose another app" (even if you see Notepad as an option in the list).

Next, in the option popup that comes up, select Notepad and tick "Always use this app to open CFG files". Click OK to confirm the file association.

The reason to do it this way is that if you were to select "Notepad" initially instead of "choose another app", your .CFG file would open in Notepad, but only for this instance. The association between .CFG and Notepad would not stick. By using "choose another app", it becomes permanent (until you reset your OS again).

Hi there. I did try the “always open in this app” tick and it still doesn’t work. That’s what has me confused because it doesn’t recognize the tick mark. 

You can also view and change file associations various ways in Settings/Apps. This has worked for me when other methods did not.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.