Sign in to follow this  
JustanotherPilot

TBM-900 for X-Plane released

I've finally been able to pry out some time to make a quick flight. All went well and I managed to land without causing any structural damage to the aircraft. It really is a work of art, but there is definitely a performance premium to be paid. Granted, I've lately been plagued by poor framerates in XP11 but this takes it to another level in that regard. Sitting on the tarmac at ESNU I have about 35-40 FPS. Flying in the vicinity of even some light clouds plummet my frames intermittantly to the single digits. This is on a 6700K @ 4.7 32gb RAM and a 1080Ti. 

Will try to find some time to make another flight asap. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Make sure you visit their forum, evidently a few other folks are having some FPS issues and their working on a fix.

Cheers

Martin

I'm curious about the sounds. The product page lists a "Custom sound engine with samples from the real aircraft...." That is kind of a letdown. Also no mention of FMOD. I watched some videos and the ground roll sounds are pretty X-Plane 9'ish. Overall my ears weren't that impressed. There is no question that the texturing and level of detail that are going on behind the scenes of this aircraft are phenomenal but for $64.95, you gotta go the whole distance and it should have a full entire real soundpack.

Sounds are important part of the immersion, especially for a payware aircraft of this quality. FlyJSim, the LES Saab, Zibo, A2A, PMDG to name a few, they all have excellent soundpacks. 

Edited by PWJT8D

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

31 minutes ago, PWJT8D said:

I'm curious about the sounds. The product page lists a "Custom sound engine with samples from the real aircraft...." That is kind of a letdown.

While the sounds aren't the greatest, they do the job, especially when going in and out of beta/reverse. Also, I don't understand why them sampling sounds from the real thing is a letdown to you. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PWJT8D said:

Also no mention of FMOD.

FMOD is a 3D sound engine. The TBM has its own 3D sound engine that has more capability than FMOD offers. LES Saab and IXEG also use our own custom sound engines, NOT FMOD.

We just took the whole FMOD concept a step further.

I also cannot understand why you find going to a real aircraft with professional sound recording equipment would be a letdown?

Edited by Cameron XA
  • Like 2

Founder of X-Aviation

3 hours ago, Chapstick said:

While the sounds aren't the greatest, they do the job, especially when going in and out of beta/reverse. Also, I don't understand why them sampling sounds from the real thing is a letdown to you. 

I guess I just took the wording incorrectly. When I read "Custom sound engine with samples.." I took it as is samples here and there were recorded of the real thing. Maybe I was looking for something more direct along the lines of "Real aircraft sounds professionally recorded" such as Cameron mentioned was the case in his post below. 

3 hours ago, Cameron XA said:

FMOD is a 3D sound engine. The TBM has its own 3D sound engine that has more capability than FMOD offers. LES Saab and IXEG also use our own custom sound engines, NOT FMOD.

We just took the whole FMOD concept a step further.

I also cannot understand why you find going to a real aircraft with professional sound recording equipment would be a letdown?

Cameron, I appeciate you taking the time to explain the 3D sound engine. The sounds in the Saab are spectacular. What threw me of is where it says Sample in the description.. The definition of Sample is a representative part of a single item from a larger whole. So to me the description is worded as some sounds are real, some may not be because you only sampled some sounds from the real aircraft. BUT if that is not the case that is wonderful. Sorry if I took it wrong. I'll add the TBM to my hangar as soon as I'm able. 

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

There's a video floating around of toto, standing next to a TBM and recording the sounds of the engines from the exterior.

Rest assured, his penchant for detail is pretty high.

• Like 2

Did another flight some hours ago and must say I am liking this more and more. It was a short hop of about 120 NM. With a couple of exceptions, performance was good during this flight (probably because of the clear skies). It is a handful during take offs IMHO. It is really torquey and pulls like a deranged madman. I guess that is just about how the real one behaves, making me respect the people piloting this thing. Myself, I tend to quickly want to engage the A/P after T/O...😨

During my approach I slowed down to about 100-120 kts and it was really easy to fly it down to the runway, making a nice landing (no damages yet...) as the winds were nice and calm. How do I put the throttle in the Taxi range, though? Must have missed that part in the documentation. I always get the brakes hot when taxiing. 

Can't wait to get her up in the air again. I'd say it is definitely worth the price. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Beta/Grd Idle is engaged by assigning a button or keystroke to the reverse thrust command.  There is an overlay on the bottom right which tells you the position of the power lever, so you avoid going into reverse thrust.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GoranM said:

Beta/Grd Idle is engaged by assigning a button or keystroke to the reverse thrust command.  There is an overlay on the bottom right which tells you the position of the power lever, so you avoid going into reverse thrust.

Excellent! Thank you. Will try this later!

Richard

15 hours ago, PWJT8D said:

I guess I just took the wording incorrectly. When I read "Custom sound engine with samples.." I took it as is samples here and there were recorded of the real thing. Maybe I was looking for something more direct along the lines of "Real aircraft sounds professionally recorded" such as Cameron mentioned was the case in his post below. 

Samples is an audio term. It is not the same definition of trying something out at a store, or half heartedly doing something. Even at the very top of the product page under 'Quick Facts' it states "custom 3D sound engine with real sounds recorded from a TBM 900."

15 hours ago, PWJT8D said:

BUT if that is not the case that is wonderful.

That's not the case.

• Upvote 1

Founder of X-Aviation

13 hours ago, GoranM said:

Once you get that part figured out it’s a real joy to taxi...on par with the feeling i get taxiing the Majestic Q400 using the beta range.

The overlay is a very nice touch I’ll add, very helpful.

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Taxiing is now a joy thanks to Gorans advice. Performance is quite dramatically improved with the 1.0.5 version. This is an absolute gem. 

Richard

3 hours ago, Swe_Richard said:

Taxiing is now a joy thanks to Gorans advice. Performance is quite dramatically improved with the 1.0.5 version. This is an absolute gem. 

what was the problem with performance?

my cc is 95% ready for purchase!

1 hour ago, kurtb said:

what was the problem with performance?

my cc is 95% ready for purchase!

Well.. I was getting quite low FPS on a 6700K@4.7 32GB RAM and 1080 TI (around 30fps in sparsely populated areas, dropping to single digits from time to time). It was probably the worst performing aircraft in my hangar (compared to IXEG, ToLiss et cetera). However it's probably the best performer for me after 1.0.5. 

I'd say get it. It is really impressive. Not just the flying part but the maintenance and everything else as well; stuff like the fact that every switch is saved to your next session. It saves the exact location of the aircraft on the airport you shut down on. I really wish I had all of this with my other aircraft as well. 

• Upvote 1

Richard