Sign in to follow this  
brodhaq

GTN 650+750 randomly freezing (the whole gauge)

Hello,

I have come to a problem which I didnt find documented anywhere else on this forum. I am using XPL11 and the GTN 650+750. Both gauges work nicely (I am keeping them in popup undocked window on my two touchscreen displays), but sometimes they freeze. Sometimes I can fly the whole day and they are ok, sometimes they freeze after 3 hours of flying, sometimes they freeze after 5 minutes of standing on apron. They freeze worldwide, regardless of location. When they freeze, the whole GTN display remains as it was, but nothing is clickable, nothing moves - just a stationary image. Sometimes they freeze upon a key touch, sometimes they freeze when nothing is being done, just flying with moving map open. They always freeze both at the same time (650 and 750). The freezing is hard to replicate - sometimes it does not happen for a week, sometimes they freeze 5 times a day. I was unable to find the exact procedure that would trigger the freezing.

All my Program Files, Program Files (x86) and X-Plane folders are removed from default Windows 10 defender. No other antivirus is used. The freezing ocurs with any aircraft, even with default-like ones (no complicated addons - just slow general aviation birds). No unusual plugins running at the background. There are no useful information in RXP logs, but there are two reports at each freezing in Windows Event Viewer. I am attaching the whole report (should be viewalbe in youe eventviewer, I just hope that it automaticaly translates to English, as my computer is running in Czech). Textures/VRAM are not a factor - see attached rendering options screenshot. My 1080Ti is not very busy with my current xplane configuration.

Attached I am sending all relevant info from my system here: [link removed]

I will be very happy for any assitance. I am quite experienced with XPL/computers, I can do any debuging you would like.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Pavel Brodský

Edited by RXP

Hi Pavel and thank you for the detailed information! This is most appreciated!

I can see from the RXP log files you are not using the latest GTN which is v2.5.7. You might want to use the latest:

Otherwise, we'll see if the error reported is new or solved in 2.5.7 and let you know.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Well it seems this is a bug in the trainer not taking care to test before dividing by 0...

Try shutting down the engines (fuel flow = 0) while having power on the GTN (try always on) and I'm pretty sure this will crash.

I've a couple ideas to workaround this.

Edited by RXP

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Hi Jean-Luc, thank you for quick reply.

I have updated to 2.5.7 just now, but I have not done any flying, so no crash observed sofar. For the first 20 minutes after update it is still running.

Shutting down engines has no effect and does not trigger the failure. My overhead is not done yet, so I am actually using the GTNs in "always on" mode all the time, and sometimes it fails during flight with engines running, sometimes it fails while standing on the apron with engines off.

Shall it help if I disable Shadin Air Data Computer and Shadin Fuel Data Computer for both GTNs?

Pavel  

14 minutes ago, brodhaq said:

so no crash observed sofar.

Let's keep our finger crossed that v2.5.7 solves the issue on your end.

With Shadin Fuel disabled, it wouldn't cause the problem, but I'd rather you continue flying as it was just to make sure v2.5.7 solves this.

Nonetheless, there is a potential division by 0 in the trainer I've detected thanks to your report, so I'll 'patch' the trainer for this.

I am having problems with this application with windows 10, in the simulator X plane11 the GTN browser freezes and stops working.

In my event viewer "windows report error" this file is the cause of the problem CDP.dll version 6.50.0.0

17 minutes ago, XPito said:

CDP.dll version 6.50.0.0 

This file appears to be part of the Garmin GTN Trainer. I am using RXP GTN version 2.5.7 and the Garmin GTN Trainer version 6.50.0.   I found CDP.DLL located on my system at:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Trainers\Packages\"

Earlier versions of the Garmin GTN Trainer may also have had an earlier version of that file. 

I believe only the latest RXP GTN release, v2.5.7 is compatible with the Garmin GTN 6.50 Trainer.  Are you attempting to use 2.5.7? Do you have the latest Garmin Trainer GTN 6.50.0 installed?  You need both.  It the RXP GTN and the separate Garmin GTN Trainer are mismatched in regard to compatibility then that may be causing the issue you are encountering.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, XPito said:

In my event viewer "windows report error" this file is the cause of the problem CDP.dll version 6.50.0.0

In addition to @fppilot remarks, can you please further detail what is the "offset" and the "error code" shown in the event viewer as well?

My version of the GTN750 is 2.5.7 and the GTN garmin trainer is 6.50.0, that is correct and I think both are compatible.
I have removed the files from the event viewer, but the problem arises with that CDP.dll file.

Note: The GTN750 has it installed for the Carenado 690B Turbo Commander.

19 minutes ago, XPito said:

I have removed the files from the event viewer, but the problem arises with that CDP.dll file.

Well, I guess we'll have to wait for you having this issue again showing up in the event viewer so that we can trace back, and help you find out, why the Garmin trainer own-component is failing on your system.

These events show an error when running the Xplane11 simulator, in this case the xplane11.exe application crashes.
In the previous event of this thread the file CDP.dll is a related error when the GTN750 crashes and it is not possible to interact with the GTN750 device in the plane.

This problem does not always occur when running the simulator xplane11, but I leave evidence in the images that this problem can occur with windows10.

Sin%20nombre1_zpshtohpjlj.jpg

Sin%20nombre_zpsri93uqie.jpg

Edited by XPito

Hello Jean-Luc,

Unfortunately 2.5.7 has frozen yesterday. All seems to be exactly as previously described here. I am sending our crash report here: https://mega.nz/#!KE9Bla5Y!S5Ei2fDoL2IrNrje2q9DUaf4oWPdllkCItvU5GZTphE (nothing relevant is in RXP logs or X-Plane log). Is it still the same problem with dividing by 0?

I have just disabled Shading Air Data Computer and Fuel Data Computer in both my units and will try using them this way for some time to see, if they freeze or not.

Thank you!
Pavel  

Hi Pavel and thank you for the additional reports. I'll let you know what we do find.

Hi, this problem is very similar to the one I reported recently, I have uploaded some images of the windows10 event viewer in the thread that I created. It may help you to identify the GTN browser freeze problem.