Sign in to follow this  
hqmurphy

Quality Wings 787 vs PMDG 747-400 (800)

A simple question: I have budget for one long-range aircraft, not both. I understand the aircraft are different. But, if you were to load up your sim right now. Which would you choose?

Quality Wings 787 or PMDG 747-400 (-800).

7 minutes ago, hqmurphy said:

A simple question: I have budget for one long-range aircraft, not both. I understand the aircraft are different. But, if you were to load up your sim right now. Which would you choose?

No contest. PMDG. Stable, proven, study level. 

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

i don't own the 748 or the 787 but I'd get the 748...no contest. 

• Like 1

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

PMDG not even close.  The -400v3 and -800 is as good as it gets.

• Like 1

Matt Wilson

I have both - PMDG by a long shot. To me, it is because of the attention to detail. The 787 does not even remember that I set the units to kg and defaults to lbs. Small issue, but an example of the attention to detail I mention.

• Like 1

David Porrett

32 minutes ago, hqmurphy said:

I'm afraid You are going to have to decide for Yourself.
See this recent discussions QW 787 final thoughts ?.  or

Edited by RamonB

PMDG all day

fly safe

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

The PMDG 747 without a doubt, but remember to get the 747-8 you will need to purchase the 747-400 base first.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

If I had to load up my sim right now, I'd pick the 787 because I like flying it and having both aeroplanes means I've got the choice, but if you are asking which is the better simulation and which would you buy if you could only have one out of those two choices alone, then it's easily the PMDG 747-400, not least because it has quite a low system overhead for such a complex aeroplane, whereas the QW 787 is heavier on frames. 

But more important than the performance, another major point to the PMDG 747-400 is that whilst it's not what you'd call inexpensive, it's actually quite a lot of bang for your bucks if you look at what you get for the money. True, you do get four 787 variants in the QW package (800 and 900 with a choice of two different engines) so that's quite a lot of aeroplanes for the money, but in the PMDG 747-400 package, if one similarly includes model and engine variations, you get a total of FIFTEEN aeroplanes; everything from the BCF, through combis to passenger versions with many choices of engine fitment, including the 400D high density short range variant which makes it a viable short haul aeroplane. When you look at it like that, suddenly that PMDG price tag looks a lot more like good value.

The fact that you have to have the 400 package in order to get the 800 variant does subtract somewhat from the value of that 800, but as I say, I think the PMDG 747-400 base package is genuinely fantastic value for money for such a good simulation of a classic aeroplane which also has brilliant optimisation, making it perform with impressive frame rates.

Unlike some people, I don't automatically blow sunshine up PMDG's @ss for anything and everything they do, but I'll praise their 747-400 all day long because it's a brilliant piece of programming and a fantastic simulation, and it deserves every bit of praise it gets.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I like both but the first is with no doubt the B-747 in the version 400. I don't think the B-747-800 is absolutely necessary if you've the 400.

Intel i9 - GPU RTX 3080 - 32 gig RAM HyperX Fury DDR 4

That's a VERY DIFFERENT budget to spend.
70 USD for 787-8 and 787-9 (plus maybe 787-10 when released) versus 140 USD for 747-400 and 70 USD for 747-8 (which means you have to spend 210 USD to fly the 747-8).
I guess you definitely have to consult your wallet before you make the decision.

By the way, ladies and gentlemen, a.. 747-800? 🤔😀

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have both, using FSX-Steam:  The QW787 in much more forgiving than the PMDG 747n that you can skip a lot of procedures to get the 787 airborne (if you're so inclined).  But, if you not take the time to properly program the QW787, the auto-throttle will eventually malfunction big time...    

As expected, the PMDG 747, and the QW787's graphics, as well as flight dynamics are very simply. amazing.  Yes, if you can,open your wallet and get both.      

• Like 1

Hi, I would myself always buy PMDG over anything but FSL.

Having bought the -8 to use the F, I have to say it very good but to be frank the are some fundamentally things that let it down. The lighting still has cross hash pattering that first came with the NG, they still have not fixed it. The new EFB is a yawn. Since I have a iPad for navigraph it brings nothing to the plate in the chart department, well less realy as on my iPad it shows were you are all the time give the right map. The Performance page is shameful as it does not work out any TO perf apart from full throttle, go into the FMC and that works out derated ete, so why the EFB cannot is XXXX. The texturing on the outside of the aircraft is also really not great.

All in all its great and the new airport mapping is the best new thing and the VC is overall a nicer place that the 400. But under all that it works perfectly as do all of PMDG. 

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

53 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Hi, I would myself always buy PMDG over anything but FSL.

Having bought the -8 to use the F, I have to say it very good but to be frank the are some fundamentally things that let it down. The lighting still has cross hash pattering that first came with the NG, they still have not fixed it. The new EFB is a yawn. Since I have a iPad for navigraph it brings nothing to the plate in the chart department, well less realy as on my iPad it shows were you are all the time give the right map. The Performance page is shameful as it does not work out any TO perf apart from full throttle, go into the FMC and that works out derated ete, so why the EFB cannot is XXXX. The texturing on the outside of the aircraft is also really not great.

All in all its great and the new airport mapping is the best new thing and the VC is overall a nicer place that the 400. But under all that it works perfectly as do all of PMDG. 

Pretty +1

Saved flights is also working perfectly 

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

If you want quality, of course you are best off going with the PMDG as they always produce quality aircraft.  However, due to my OCD in wanting to fly real world routes with real world aircraft, the 787 wins hands down.  The 747 is a dying model in the real world.  Where as the 787 is the present and the future for Boeing.  So you have way more route options to fly with the 787.  But, that's just me.  Of course it's a sim and it's anyone's preference as to how they use it.  If you want to fly the 747 on routes that normally a Cessna would fly, have fun!  There's no one stopping you.  :)

I so wish PMDG had developed the 78 instead of the 74 though.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024