Sign in to follow this  
mi17

A2A Bonanza GTN750 screen brightness

Hello all,

I have succesfully installed my freshly purchased GTN750 into the A2A Bonanza. Everything is working fine, but the screen is way too bright in the VC. I've seen the pinned brightness balancing topic, but I'm still not sure what to change in the .ini file.

Can someone share the required changes please?

Thanks in advance

Tamas

Best you learn how to do this as you may find other edits to the .ini file(s) for your various aircraft.  I will write this in a manner that not just you, but others may benefit.  So please don't be offended if it is too elementary for you.  Please note that the difference in VC and popup screen brightness varies widely from one aircraft to another, and primarily from one aircraft producer to another. So there is not one set of settings that will fit all.  Many of my aircraft need no changes at all. For some reason the aircraft from A2A seem to need the most attention, at least on my system.

Go back to that pinned topic you read and find and make a list for yourself of the variables mentioned.  Ex.

; integral lighting percent (0 to 100)
Rheostat.Display = 50
; integral lighting percent (0 to 100)
Rheostat.Buttons = 50

and

; adjust brightness (0 to 100)
brightness.bezel = 50
; offset brightness (-100 to +100)
brightness.screen = 0

There may be a couple of others....  By the way, those settings are I believe just the default settings.

With the RXP GTN 750 you have two (2) gauges available.  750_1 and 750_2.  They are two separate gauges.

In the .ini file you will find two settings sections for each gauge.
[GTN_750_1]
[GTN_750_1.DEFAULT]

and

[GTN_750_2]
[GTN_750_2.DEFAULT]

If you are using only one gauge in an aircraft, determine which of the two it is by reviewing that aircraft's "panel.cfg" file.  The gauge should be identified in one of the [Window##] sections and also within one of the [Vcockpit##] sections.

Make backup copies of your current RealityXP.GTN.ini and panel.cfg files to a different location.

Edit the .ini file settings for the variables you listed, doing so in the appropriate sections for the gauge you are using, _1 or _2.  You will need to play around with the values to find settings that produce the result you are looking for.

Additional sections can be added to the RealityXP.GTN.ini file  to address various additional settings. You should read the RXP User Manual to learn about these.  One additional section often added is a section to explicitly use a GTN with no bezel.  I do not have the A2A Bonanza, but do have the A2A Cessna 182.  For the 182 I use a no bezel option to arrive at the best presentation of the gauge in the VC.  I do that by adding an additional section in the .ini file.  I also added an additional "brightness.screen = ##" setting in that additional section. 

When additional .ini file sections are added, they must be named. You choose the name.
ex. [GTN_750_1.POP_NO_BEZEL].  The name is the portion following the period.

Accordingly, that additional section must be referenced in the panel.cfg file, both in the appropriate [window##] section
ex. gauge00=rxpGTN!GTN_750_2, 0,0,937,887, POP_NO_BEZEL

and [VCockpit##] section:
ex. gauge00=rxpGTN!GTN_750_1, 0,0,677,794, POP_NO_BEZEL. 
The names must match.

Please do not attempt to use the names/settings above for the Bonanza.  They are what I use in the A2A 182 and the two are totally different aircraft.

You will have a learning curve on this. Just work your way through it.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thank you for the reply Frank.

I have no time for flightsimming at the moment, but I will play with these numbers probably next week and will report the results here for anyone who need them.

Best wishes,

Tamas