Sign in to follow this  
FLNG

Windows, FSX, and P3D on same SSD ?

I currently have Win 7 64bit and FSX installed on the same 1 TB SSD.  It has ~ 350GB free space left.    I would like to install P3D V4x on the same drive.  

I have numerous add-ons including ORBX scenery for FSX and plan to pretty much duplicate that with P3D.

Is there any problem with the single SSD plan for this in people's experience ?

Cheers

Jeff

I do not see why not--I had FSX and FS9 on the same drive on my old system.  But I should caution, if you can upgrade Win 7 to Win 10, do it as soon as possible.  My old system died when it went into an upgrade loop--problem is during the upgrade Microsoft pulled their files as they no longer supported Vista.  There was no way out of it and I lost the entire system and some payware (thank goodness Carenado let me redownload most of it except for my V35 Bonanza which does not show up in my download history for some reason).  Upgrade if Microsoft offers an upgrade path, otherwise disable Windows update well before Microsoft pulls support for Windows 7.

John

No problem at all.

I have both, P3D v4 with all my addons and FSX-Gold  with no addons, (just for basic stuff)

But looking at Your free space makes me wonder haw many addons you have.
A 1 TB SSD drive will effectively leave you with ~931 GB.  Your FSX install + whatever else you have on your drive are using  ~531 GB.
That leaves ~350 GB of total free space. It might not be enough if You install P3D v4 + the same amount of addons you have plus whatever else you buy for P3D in the future..

Also take into consideration that filling a drive above 80-85% is not a good idea.
Experts say SSD drives also slow down when overfilled (although not as much as HDD) and wear down faster.
If it is a Samsung drive I suggest you apply the default over-provisioning in the Samsung Magician Software.

Edited by RamonB

Thanks to you guys for the replies.    Now you are making me wonder  what else is installed on that drive.

Let me take a look.

Cheers,

Jeff.

Embarrassing........ I confused the "used" and "free" space.  🙁

There's 646 GB free space.

thanks for questioning my numbers...!

Cheers

Jeff

With the cost of SSDs dropping like a shot duck, why not put another 1TB SSD in your box.  Latest cost is about $150 from Newegg. 

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

Wow - didn't realize they had got this cheap !

Jeff