Sign in to follow this  
ideoplastic

New MD11 for P3Dv4.3

47 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Stand by to see that price drop like an iron butterfly when people don't bite.

Has any developer actually done this before or will it present itself under the guise of a sudden sale?

If this was the only MD11 ever, it might pass, but since all of us MD11 lovers have flown the PMDG, I doubt it would be easy to please after flying such excellence before in FSX.  Wish I hadnt seen it. Just wishes PMDG wouldve done the port over to p3d at the very least even more. Ugh

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

These are the same guys that produced a DC-9 for FSX/P3D 32bit a while ago. The DC-9 product was not good regarding the quality of the textures and systems, and the livery install process was a mess. They abandonned the DC-9 support when they apparently shutdown their site for some time, and now they're reappearing with a "new" MD-11 and promises about a "new" DC-9.

I wouldn't recommend to insist with those guys.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

2 hours ago, krazyk said:

Has any developer actually done this before or will it present itself under the guise of a sudden sale?

Yup, Sky Simulations have in fact done it before: I bought their FSX DC-9 way back in 2009 and it cost 35.70 Euros, which is about £31. I bought the same thing the a couple of weeks ago for P3D V4 (and yeah, it is basically the same product updated for P3D V4) and it was £22.99.

Don't forget that in looking at the above example, we also have to take into account almost ten years of inflation, the additional cost of making it P3D V4 compatible (which might not have been too much work but it at least involves some work), and the fact that P3D add-ons are typically a bit dearer than those for FSX, yet this virtually identical product has its price dropped by a third.

And incidentally whilst on the subject of that DC-9 add-on, I did try installing my old old Sky Simulations FSX DC-9 again a while back, but it would not install because it kept reporting that my serial number was invalid. I contacted their support and I got a reply which said they'd get back to me, but then they never did, despite me emailing them again a few times, so they're not exactly in my good books for having done that and I'd be wary about paying 50 Euros to any company which can't be @rsed to reply to its customers about something as basic as a serial number being invalid. But..

I'd be tempted to give that MD-11 a shot if it was more in that 20 quid price range (i.e. less of a gamble with quite a large amount of money), but there's no way I'd go for it when its price range is in the same region as products such as the iFly 737 and 747 and the QW787, yet it is using a simplified FMC and I know their support is less than adequate into the bargain.

It's quite clearly an attempt to punch above its weight because they are aware people are missing their PMDG MD-11 in P3D V4, but it's just not worth the money they are charging for it. Even charging 30 quid for it would be pushing it, in my opinion, considering the closest alternative to it for P3D V4 - given that the MD-11 is basically a tarted up DC-10 - is the JF L-1011 Tristar Professional, which costs 35 quid, and that thing has both an INS and a Honeywell HT9100 FMS simulated on it.

That L-1011 might not be the best product JF have ever made, but at least JF actually bother to answer emails and such and would refund you if their product did not satisfy you, instead of completely ignoring you, as Sky Simulations did with me when I requested support. That, incidentally, is why I bought that P3D V4 version of the Sky Simulations DC-9 off the Just Flight store.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

4 hours ago, ideoplastic said:

Available at

Skysimulations

Not bought it or tested it. Feedback from anyone who has, much appreciated.

New releases like this are appreciated but they should be submitted to AVSIM using our "Submit News" form.  I have completed the form and it may or may not appear on our front page.  See the link to Submit News in my signature.  Thanks for your help!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

3 hours ago, Chock said:

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Stand by to see that price drop like an iron butterfly when people don't bite.

With the exception of special pre-release sales, have you ever seen the price of a new release drop? 

SkySimulations have released a DC9 and a DC10 which had pretty poor textures, but were not bad simulations at all.

This one looks like it has pretty good textures, but it uses that EasyFMS, but still may be a pretty enjoyable simulation.  It may be worth 50-so bucks to have a decent usable MD-11 in P3Dv4. 

27 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yup, Sky Simulations have in fact done it before: I bought their FSX DC-9 way back in 2009 and it cost 35.70 Euros, which is about £31. I bought the same thing the a couple of weeks ago for P3D V4 (and yeah, it is basically the same product updated for P3D V4) and it was £22.99.

Don't forget that in looking at the above example, we also have to take into account almost ten years of inflation, the additional cost of making it P3D V4 compatible (which might not have been too much work but it at least involves some work), and the fact that P3D add-ons are typically a bit dearer than those for FSX, yet this virtually identical product has its price dropped by a third.

And incidentally whilst on the subject of that DC-9 add-on, I did try installing my old old Sky Simulations FSX DC-9 again a while back, but it would not install because it kept reporting that my serial number was invalid. I contacted their support and I got a reply which said they'd get back to me, but then they never did, despite me emailing them again a few times, so they're not exactly in my good books for having done that and I'd be wary about paying 50 Euros to any company which can't be @rsed to reply to its customers about something as basic as a serial number being invalid. But..

I'd be tempted to give that MD-11 a shot if it was more in that 20 quid price range (i.e. less of a gamble with quite a large amount of money), but there's no way I'd go for it when its price range is in the same region as products such as the iFly 737 and 747 and the QW787, yet it is using a simplified FMC and I know their support is less than adequate into the bargain.

It's quite clearly an attempt to punch above its weight because they are aware people are missing their PMDG MD-11 in P3D V4, but it's just not worth the money they are charging for it. Even charging 30 quid for it would be pushing it, in my opinion, considering the closest alternative to it for P3D V4 - given that the MD-11 is basically a tarted up DC-10 - is the JF L-1011 Tristar Professional, which costs 35 quid, and that thing has both an INS and a Honeywell HT9100 FMS simulated on it.

That L-1011 might not be the best product JF have ever made, but at least JF actually bother to answer emails and such and would refund you if their product did not satisfy you, instead of completely ignoring you, as Sky Simulations did with me when I requested support. That, incidentally, is why I bought that P3D V4 version of the Sky Simulations DC-9 off the Just Flight store.

Alan, they're still selling their V1 of MD-11 for 29.95; btw, that plane was an absolute mess.  I bought it over a decade ago and shelved it after 5 flights.  I'm ok with a simplistic model; however, I expect the basic systems to work.  Their MD-11 auto-throttle was all over the map; worse, you felt like you were on a roller-coaster when capturing the ILS.  It did a terrible job tracking the nav path too; although, that may have been solved with Erik's FMCLite.  This plane actually put me off the developer forever...

Matt King

I'll say it again. This isn't anything new.  I've got this addon for P3D 32 bit years ago.  It was horrid.  Flying characteristics, systems, modelling isnt top notch either.  If you really want the 11 do what I do. Have a separate FSX SE installed for the PMDG aircraft.  You will regret putting money into this. I wish that wasn't the case, but it's basically a CLS MD-11. First thing you'll want Todo is replace all the avionics with ISG if you have it. After that you'll get fed up with basic Autopilot controls and quirky behaviors.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

I just stepped over this thread. What exciting news! The MD-11 is my favourite aircraft. Have done some real cockpit flights with this nice bird. With some tricks the PMDG MD-11 can be used in P3DV3, but me and others are missing it in P3DV4. Rotate will bring out a MD11 in Xplane, but that will not be in the near future.

Never heard of Sky Simulations. But I am tempted to try the aircraft. I am not sure though whether I will be disappointed when comparing it to the PMDG, because I do really like the extremely well modelling of the systems, which in most cases behave as they should.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

18 minutes ago, Cargostorm said:

Never heard of Sky Simulations. But I am tempted to try the aircraft. I am not sure though whether I will be disappointed when comparing it to the PMDG, because I do really like the extremely well modelling of the systems, which in most cases behave as they should

You will.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

37 minutes ago, Cargostorm said:

I am not sure though whether I will be disappointed when comparing it to the PMDG

I can pretty much guarantee that you will be.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, simsuper80 said:

if wilco can port there planes over why cant pmdg 

They no longer have the rights for the MD11 as far as I’ve heard. Hell even if I had fsx still it’s not even for sale anymore.