Sign in to follow this  
ideoplastic

New MD11 for P3Dv4.3

42 minutes ago, UAL4life said:

They no longer have the rights for the MD11 as far as I’ve heard. Hell even if I had fsx still it’s not even for sale anymore. 

does that mean its abandoned? 

Marco D'Agostino

Its pretty decent,looks pretty good and yells at me for not having the Stab in the correct position like all MD's do lol. The frame rate is GREAT!

2018-10-18-15-42-33-96.jpg

2018-10-18-15-42-58-593.jpg

2018-10-18-15-43-50-702.jpg2018-10-18-15-43-14-313.jpg

• Like 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

The modeling doesn't look spectacular, but then it also doesn't look too bad. I gotta say, I never thought PMDG's modeling in the MD-11 was particularly wonderful either. Sky Simulations,a s others pointed out, released a MD-11 a long, loooong time ago for FSX. From what I read at the time, it was quite bad. The DC9 that followed seemed to be a step up in many ways and while I didn't read any particularly warm reviews, I also don't remember people saying they hated it. Also, I'd be perfectly happy with something in-between PMDG and CLS. CLS is too simple for me, but I really don't need all the functions a PMDG plane gives you. If I can perform normal operations with some realism I'll likely be happy with it. For what it's worth, the modeling of the VC looks nice to me, and I'm happy to see that the PFD, ND, etc all appear relatively faithful. What's going to make the difference for me is the A/P functionality, dial-a-flap, all those lovely little McDonnell Douglas-type tidbits.

All to say that it seemed to me that Sky Simulations was improving from release to release, so I'd be willing to give this MD-11 a go if sufficient amount of people tried it and gave an idea of what to expect. Which brings me to David up there...

30 minutes ago, z06z33 said:

Its pretty decent,looks pretty good and yells at me for not having the Stab in the correct position like all MD's do lol. The frame rate is GREAT!

David, seems like you got it and like it. Can you comment on the systems? What sort of level exactly are we looking at here? How well does it work? Is this a simple FMC with basix P3D A/P functionality, or does it try to actually simulate the MD-11? And what do you think of the FDE? In other words, is this like CLS, like the Aerosoft Airbus, like the JuftFlight L-1011... Any comment at all would be helpful, really :) Cause I'm so starved for a MD-11 -.-

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

2 hours ago, z06z33 said:

I'd like to know the FMC allows you to enter a plan, including SIDs and STARs -- or, is it simply one of those FMC's where you load a default P3D flight plan into it?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Mace said:

I'd like to know the FMC allows you to enter a plan, including SIDs and STARs -- or, is it simply one of those FMC's where you load a default P3D flight plan into it?

It’s the latter; however, if you own FSBuild or EFB2, you can simply include the SID/STAR into the flight plan.   In fact, EFB2 is dynamic; so, if the STAR changes, you simply have to update EFB2 with new data and it will dynamically update your flight plan.  This allows you to fly SID/STARS with Eric M FMSLite. It does not, however, allow for vertical navigation. You’ll need ISG1 for that...,

Matt King

Thanks.  But lacking a function that basic makes this airplane too lite for my taste.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

4 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

The modeling doesn't look spectacular, but then it also doesn't look too bad. I gotta say, I never thought PMDG's modeling in the MD-11 was particularly wonderful either. Sky Simulations,a s others pointed out, released a MD-11 a long, loooong time ago for FSX. From what I read at the time, it was quite bad. The DC9 that followed seemed to be a step up in many ways and while I didn't read any particularly warm reviews, I also don't remember people saying they hated it. Also, I'd be perfectly happy with something in-between PMDG and CLS. CLS is too simple for me, but I really don't need all the functions a PMDG plane gives you. If I can perform normal operations with some realism I'll likely be happy with it. For what it's worth, the modeling of the VC looks nice to me, and I'm happy to see that the PFD, ND, etc all appear relatively faithful. What's going to make the difference for me is the A/P functionality, dial-a-flap, all those lovely little McDonnell Douglas-type tidbits.

All to say that it seemed to me that Sky Simulations was improving from release to release, so I'd be willing to give this MD-11 a go if sufficient amount of people tried it and gave an idea of what to expect. Which brings me to David up there...

David, seems like you got it and like it. Can you comment on the systems? What sort of level exactly are we looking at here? How well does it work? Is this a simple FMC with basix P3D A/P functionality, or does it try to actually simulate the MD-11? And what do you think of the FDE? In other words, is this like CLS, like the Aerosoft Airbus, like the JuftFlight L-1011... Any comment at all would be helpful, really 🙂 Cause I'm so starved for a MD-11 -.-

Currently enroute from KLAS to PHNL, she flies nice I'll be posting a video about the plane when I land in about 2 hours

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

27 minutes ago, z06z33 said:

Currently enroute from KLAS to PHNL, she flies nice I'll be posting a video about the plane when I land in about 2 hours

Excellent, thanks!! If you could post the link here that’d be great 🙂

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

1 hour ago, z06z33 said:

That will be very much appreciated, David.  

Matt King

Curiosity got me and I bought it and I must say that it does fly nice.  I didn't do a full flight, but I might at some time later.

It has very simplified flight systems, but they are better than a default aircraft, just not near what the MD11 is supposed to be.

The PROF does not work.  It loads a standard MSFS flight plan and there is no PERF or TAKE OFF pages, so the Vspeeds are not selected in the FMS, but just appear on the PFD on their own.

When you push NAV on the FCP, the FMA will display NAV1, instead of LNAV.  Then, again, you have no PROF so I was having trouble figuring how to select the altitude on the FCP and lock it in, but Vert Spd works, so that is a good way to control the climb or decent.

Speed brake seems to have something funky going on.  I'll have to look at the manual to know for sure, but if you try to arm the spoilers, the leaver will make a big clunking noise and lock in full position. It must have to do with the spoilers deploying upon landing, but it seems to do it in any situation and not just landing.

The cockpit textures are much better than what SkySimulation used to have.  Big improvement there, but still not quite up to the standard of the PMDG MD11 for FSX, which are also very outdated.

I would say that this aircraft should sell for about $35 to be fair for the type of customer that would like this MD11.  $50 for an aircraft that doesn't come close enough to satisfactorily emulating the MD11 flight systems and needs to load the flight plan from the simulator is just a little steep. Then, considering the price of aircraft with deep systems and awesome graphics, it's not real bad.

I believe that simmers that don't like complex aircraft and reading through manuals, will love this MD11.  It loads the flight plan from the sim and starts all of the engines with Ctrl+E.  It flies and handles nicely and has a "heavy feel" to it. I'm sure it will handle nice while landing.  I'll have to see if it will lock into an ILS. Anyway you could still do a good approach using Vert Spd or manually.

It seems to taxi way too fast, so next time I'm only going to start the two wing engines and wait to start the center engine once I reach the runway.

That's my thoughts on it so far.  Not bad, just not great.  But still enough to have some fun with.

Bob

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, signmanbob said:

Curiosity got me and I bought it and I must say that it does fly nice.  I didn't do a full flight, but I might at some time later.

It has very simplified flight systems, but they are better than a default aircraft, just not near what the MD11 is supposed to be.

The PROF does not work.  It loads a standard MSFS flight plan and there is no PERF or TAKE OFF pages, so the Vspeeds are not selected in the FMS, but just appear on the PFD on their own.

When you push NAV on the FCP, the FMA will display NAV1, instead of LNAV.  Then, again, you have no PROF so I was having trouble figuring how to select the altitude on the FCP and lock it in, but Vert Spd works, so that is a good way to control the climb or decent.

Speed brake seems to have something funky going on.  I'll have to look at the manual to know for sure, but if you try to arm the spoilers, the leaver will make a big clunking noise and lock in full position. It must have to do with the spoilers deploying upon landing, but it seems to do it in any situation and not just landing.

The cockpit textures are much better than what SkySimulation used to have.  Big improvement there, but still not quite up to the standard of the PMDG MD11 for FSX, which are also very outdated.

I would say that this aircraft should sell for about $35 to be fair for the type of customer that would like this MD11.  $50 for an aircraft that doesn't come close enough to satisfactorily emulating the MD11 flight systems and needs to load the flight plan from the simulator is just a little steep. Then, considering the price of aircraft with deep systems and awesome graphics, it's not real bad.

I believe that simmers that don't like complex aircraft and reading through manuals, will love this MD11.  It loads the flight plan from the sim and starts all of the engines with Ctrl+E.  It flies and handles nicely and has a "heavy feel" to it. I'm sure it will handle nice while landing.  I'll have to see if it will lock into an ILS. Anyway you could still do a good approach using Vert Spd or manually.

It seems to taxi way too fast, so next time I'm only going to start the two wing engines and wait to start the center engine once I reach the runway.

That's my thoughts on it so far.  Not bad, just not great.  But still enough to have some fun with.

Bob

Thanks for taking the time to do the review, Bob.  Looking forward to your report regarding ILS; V1 couldn't fly an ILS worth a hill of beans. 

Concerning price, the inflation we've witness as it relates to P3D is absurd; the price escalations as a whole are disappointing and unjustifiable....

• Like 2

Matt King

16 hours ago, Jim Young said:

New releases like this are appreciated but they should be submitted to AVSIM using our "Submit News" form.  I have completed the form and it may or may not appear on our front page.  See the link to Submit News in my signature.  Thanks for your help!

Jim, very sorry, didn't realize it would be best in Submit News. Will do so in future.

regards

7 hours ago, kingm56 said:

It’s the latter; however, if you own FSBuild or EFB2, you can simply include the SID/STAR into the flight plan.   In fact, EFB2 is dynamic; so, if the STAR changes, you simply have to update EFB2 with new data and it will dynamically update your flight plan.  This allows you to fly SID/STARS with Eric M FMSLite. It does not, however, allow for vertical navigation. You’ll need ISG1 for that...,

4 hours ago, signmanbob said:

OK. This plane is a no-go then. Too sad. If I buy a simulation, I expect that the systems - at least for normal operations - are as close to the REAL aircraft as possible. Even the FMS appears to be nowhere compared to the Pegasus Honeywell FMS in the real bird. Then also a high price tag is justified. I will stick with PMDG MD11 in the meantime (which works well in P3DV3) and wait for the MD11 from Rotate in Xplane instead.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR