Sign in to follow this  
ideoplastic

New MD11 for P3Dv4.3

To be fair, some of the sounds an aeroplane makes will depend upon the position you are in, so one person might say they sound like this, where another might say they sound like that, and from their own observations, they might both be correct. Fortunately, with aeroplane add-ons, this is one of the things you can easily fix for yourself with sound sets you prefer from TSS etc, or even sounds from other add-ons, including the PMDG MD-11 if you wanted to do so. But sound can be a bit subjective anyway...

I've noticed for example, when pushing jets with high bypass turbofans out, that when you are pretty much level with the engines to one side and maybe about 100 metres away, there is considerably more of that high bypass low pitched growling noise than there is when you are to the rear or the front.

The growling noise is to a large extent caused by the engine nacelles acting like a church pipe organ's tubes, but from what I've observed, it would appear that in doing that, the cowlings themselves vibrate and transmit the sound laterally, whereas from the front, that growling sound would be blocked by the big fans sucking air in, and from behind you're going to hear more of the exhaust note from the low bypass thrust coming out at near supersonic speeds.

It's my guess that the noise you'd hear from an engine when in the cockpit will depend to some extent on where you are sat in that cockpit, and since when developers record sounds from real aeroplanes, there will be some places they or their recording equipment cannot be located as it would be deadly or inconvenient to do so, so there are going to be some limitations on what actually can be recorded.

After all, do you want to stand four feet in front of a CFM 56 or a JT8D with a microphone when it's sucking air in at nearly supersonic speeds, desperately trying not to get ingested into the engine? We don't go anywhere near those things even when they're idling, and personally, I come at them very warily if the fan is still turning relatively fast even when they've been shut down because you should have seen some of the grim photos we got shown on training courses of the aftermath of incidents where people got sucked into engines, it was horrible as you can probably imagine.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

13 minutes ago, Chock said:

To be fair, some of the sounds an aeroplane makes will depend upon the position you are in, so one person might say they sound like this, where another might say they sound like that, and from their own observations, they might both be correct. Fortunately, with aeroplane add-ons, this is one of the things you can easily fix for yourself with sound sets you prefer from TSS etc, or even sounds from other add-ons, including the PMDG MD-11 if you wanted to do so. But sound can be a bit subjective anyway...

I've noticed for example, when pushing jets with high bypass turbofans out, that when you are pretty much level with the engines to one side and maybe about 100 metres away, there is considerably more of that high bypass low pitched growling noise than there is when you are to the rear or the front.

The growling noise is to a large extent caused by the engine nacelles acting like a church pipe organ's tubes, but from what I've observed, it would appear that in doing that, the cowlings themselves vibrate and transmit the sound laterally, whereas from the front, that growling sound would be blocked by the big fans sucking air in, and from behind you're going to hear more of the exhaust note from the low bypass thrust coming out at near supersonic speeds.

It's my guess that the noise you'd hear from an engine when in the cockpit will depend to some extent on where you are sat in that cockpit, and since when developers record sounds from real aeroplanes, there will be some places they or their recording equipment cannot be located as it would be deadly or inconvenient to do so, so there are going to be some limitations on what actually can be recorded.

After all, do you want to stand four feet in front of a CFM 56 or a JT8D with a microphone when it's sucking air in at nearly supersonic speeds, desperately trying not to get ingested into the engine? We don't go anywhere near those things even when they're idling, and personally, I come at them very warily if the fan is still turning relatively fast even when they've been shut down because you should have seen some of the grim photos we got shown on training courses of the aftermath of incidents where people got sucked into engines, it was horrible as you can probably imagine.

Well, my comment was about the VC (probably should have been more specific about that). Outside is of course a totally different story and those sounds are probably... fine. As you said, it depends where the microphone was. In the cockpit there probably is some variation but I can't imagine it being such a night-and-day difference as  the difference between the SkySim and PMDG sounds.

For what it's worth, the video below has absolutely no whining sound of any kind, at all, at any point in the video, be it taxi or takeoff:

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Ok, made two flights. First was bad. Very bed. Mostly as the autopilot and autothrottle are unpredictable. The second flight was better because of two reasons: i ve learnt how to fight with AP, second as I integrated ISG1. Now, the aircraft needs a lot of modding to make it at least flyable. First, i need to get some good .air and .cfg files and try to integrate it. Too bad i have no longer FSX installed to try the PMDG ones. Then i will make a good FSLSpootlight profile as the SS MD11 lights do not work at day. Finally replacement of some sounds will be needed (almost evert test in the cockpit launches the same .wav).

5 hours ago, KrisJ said:

Ok, made two flights. First was bad. Very bed. Mostly as the autopilot and autothrottle are unpredictable. The second flight was better because of two reasons: i ve learnt how to fight with AP, second as I integrated ISG1. Now, the aircraft needs a lot of modding to make it at least flyable. First, i need to get some good .air and .cfg files and try to integrate it. Too bad i have no longer FSX installed to try the PMDG ones. Then i will make a good FSLSpootlight profile as the SS MD11 lights do not work at day. Finally replacement of some sounds will be needed (almost evert test in the cockpit launches the same .wav).

Just curious but why do you need panel lights in the day?

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Well, first of all what you or me consider a day is not the same as Microsoft or LM 🙂 Thats why you have no lights in the cockpit during dawn and dusk in their FS. The complex addons handle that but looks like SS Md-11 does not. Secondly, even during a midday your cockpit my get really dark, especially when its grey and rainy outside. I am supprised you dont see a need for lights even during a day time. 

On 10/23/2018 at 10:44 PM, z06z33 said:

David just like to know if there has been any updates since the release yet?Maybe too early.Im interested in purchasing it for my p3d version 4.3

Regards.

Zdenek  Cebis

Can anyone tell me something about the flight tutorial that comes with the MD-11 v2 is it as good as the pmdg tutorials?

Regards.

Zdenek  Cebis

5 hours ago, Zdenek said:

Can anyone tell me something about the flight tutorial that comes with the MD-11 v2 is it as good as the pmdg tutorials?

Regards.

There are four PDF manuals which come with this MD-11. These are: 

SkySim_MD11_Checklist (8 pages of checklists, should you wish to print them out for use).

SkySim_MD11_FLTTECH (34 page manual covering everything from starting up to carrying out a flight and then shutting down).

SkySim_MD11_Operations Manual (132 page manual detailing all of the systems).

SkySim_MD11_Speeds (1 page table of speeds/flap settings for various weights/configs, which you can print out).

The manuals are well illustrated, with good colour images of panels and good copy, which is clear and concise, to help you identify controls/systems and learn their use. If you take the time to read these, they'll certainly get you all clued up about the aeroplane, but you could get away with just reading the FLTTECH 34 page manual if you are familiar with airliners in general. The FMC is about the only thing which is simplified on this thing, it being based on the Eric Marciano one, but if you have ISG, you probably could soup this aspect of it up a bit although I can't say I've tried that even though I do have those ISG gauges.

On the plus side of that, you can have the FMC just load up a P3D flight plan and be up and running pretty quickly, so it's a good compromise between mega-realism and convenience in that it does away with the tedious part of flight planning.

The flight model is quite nice and is convincing, with some elements of the MD-11 being very well portrayed, for example, you probably know that the real thing has a much smaller elevator than the DC-10 from which it was derived, in order to reduce the tail down force so it creates less drag and makes it a bit more fuel efficient than the DC-10, but this means the real MD-11 can have somewhat limited pitch authority in some situations, and this simulated version does convey that pretty well. The exterior/interior model is good and the sounds are okay too. It does seem to get good frame rates as well, so it's nice for flying into those super fancy add-on airports and if you don't have GSX, it has its own ground personnel/equipment animations, which are pretty good, including working high loaders on the cargo holds although there is a small bug/glitch on these which needs patching (the 2D pop up panel for the door controls is incorrectly labeled on the P3D menus). It still works, but it might take you a minute or so to find the requisite 2D pop up panel to operate the doors because of this!

I paid 27 quid for it from the flightsim.com store, and I would say it is worth that price. I think places which are charging nearer 40 quid for it are a bit off the mark price-wise though, given that its FMC is generic rather than like what you'd find in the real thing, but for less than 30 quid it is worth having. So on the whole it's a lot better than you'd expect it to be and it will serve to scratch that MD-11/DC-10 itch if you're missing it in P3D V4.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Chock said:

There are four PDF manuals which come with this MD-11. These are: 

SkySim_MD11_Checklist (8 pages of checklists, should you wish to print them out for use).

SkySim_MD11_FLTTECH (34 page manual covering everything from starting up to carrying out a flight and then shutting down).

SkySim_MD11_Operations Manual (132 page manual detailing all of the systems).

SkySim_MD11_Speeds (1 page table of speeds/flap settings for various weights/configs, which you can print out).

The manuals are well illustrated, with good colour images of panels and good copy, which is clear and concise, to help you identify controls/systems and learn their use. If you take the time to read these, they'll certainly get you all clued up about the aeroplane, but you could get away with just reading the FLTTECH 34 page manual if you are familiar with airliners in general. The FMC is about the only thing which is simplified on this thing, it being based on the Eric Marciano one, but if you have ISG, you probably could soup this aspect of it up a bit although I can't say I've tried that even though I do have those ISG gauges.

On the plus side of that, you can have the FMC just load up a P3D flight plan and be up and running pretty quickly, so it's a good compromise between mega-realism and convenience in that it does away with the tedious part of flight planning.

The flight model is quite nice and is convincing, with some elements of the MD-11 being very well portrayed, for example, you probably know that the real thing has a much smaller elevator than the DC-10 from which it was derived, in order to reduce the tail down force so it creates less drag and makes it a bit more fuel efficient than the DC-10, but this means the real MD-11 can have somewhat limited pitch authority in some situations, and this simulated version does convey that pretty well. The exterior/interior model is good and the sounds are okay too. It does seem to get good frame rates as well, so it's nice for flying into those super fancy add-on airports and if you don't have GSX, it has its own ground personnel/equipment animations, which are pretty good, including working high loaders on the cargo holds although there is a small bug/glitch on these which needs patching (the 2D pop up panel for the door controls is incorrectly labeled on the P3D menus). It still works, but it might take you a minute or so to find the requisite 2D pop up panel to operate the doors because of this!

I paid 27 quid for it from the flightsim.com store, and I would say it is worth that price. I think places which are charging nearer 40 quid for it are a bit off the mark price-wise though, given that its FMC is generic rather than like what you'd find in the real thing, but for less than 30 quid it is worth having. So on the whole it's a lot better than you'd expect it to be and it will serve to scratch that MD-11/DC-10 itch if you're missing it in P3D V4.

Thankyou Alan much appreciated your thorough of the sky simulation MD-11 version 2 for p3d.Just wanted to ask one more question can it do a auto flight from start to finish and autoland?

Regards.

Zdenek  Cebis

Hello, i purchased this plane one week ago, and i was trying to hook it up ISG1 Gauges, but had no luck because for the unknown reason, the ISG FMC flightplan doesn't load up into the autopilot of MD-11,  becuase when i try to engage the NAV mode, it only engage VOR1, i cannot understand why it can't load it, in meantime i tried to do few liveries, and i manage to do a decent Alitalia livery 😁

So you basically you can only use the fmc like in P3D basic flight plan from point a to point b but it can only fly VOR to VOR and then no NAV after to engage?

Regards.

Edited by Zdenek

Zdenek  Cebis

You can try to use a freeware FMC that is being frequently used on freeware aircraft, so at least you can input the speed and altitude at desired waypoints, and the autopilot follow it, the down side is that it doesn't have SID/STAR. The main goal is to try to integrate the ISG FMC into MD-11 Systems to have SID/STAR or to wait for the upgraded version of the original FMC.